Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IMPORTANT:::: crash in 1260 research

Default IMPORTANT:::: crash in 1260 research

as many of you have noted there is a crash in 1260... I have done a little testing on it and have found out the following:
    (i'm using the patched rtj--newest beta tester version ramm)

1260, like you'd expect, works. I set start date to 1258 and went to 1272 fine. Then i did a test at 10 years per turn and went fine through the whole game (oddly ending in defeat at end of 1490 turn), however the mongols and timurids did not enter the game... So the problem must lay in:
    1) event trigger error with mongol and/or timurid invasion
    2) unit error
    3) building error

2 and 3 can be ruled out because the advancement of technology and cities is random due to inconsistent A.I. so every game timing for such units to be made would be very different and wouldn't land on 1260 consistantly--therefor after 180 turns some unit is made?. This could be tested also by accelerating production with infinite $$-- play testing all factions and units :hmmm:

So option 1, it must be an event trigger error.
    After looking at the event triggers and thinking about both my tests i see that events happen after blank years. Seeing as i passed over 1260 on my 10 years per turn game there can't be a simple message event. In addition, i got the mongol invasion warning, but no invasion for the rest of the game, about 14 turns. I don't know if the timescale did it but i do know this--i played the whole timeframe without crashing. (i even the warnings for their invasions)

SO only part of the game that didn't appear were invasions... and game didn't crash... 1+1=2? After a little research i noticed this:

1) in the campaign script there notes 3 entry provinces for both mongols and timurids: sarkel, yerevan, and baghdad. which are picked randomly

2) in the base map folder, the file descr_regions doesn't contain a log for sarkel

3) in the campaign folder, the file descr_regions_and_settlements_lookup doesn't contain either sarkel or yerevan

So my idea is that when the game communicates with itself it looks for sarkel, yerevan, and baghdad in the map files to run "roll the dice" and see invade area. However!, those some regions don't exist in the files for the campaign to use so there is an error. When the programming doesn't fit with the information for it reference there is an unexpected error that crashes the game.

Have you looked into this??

Rammstein's Avatar Templar Knight

Default Re: IMPORTANT:::: crash in 1260 research

very interesting but Mongols dont spawn in the city they spawn just infront of it
    badgad is
    291, 70

mongol spawn are
    292, 58
    290, 60
    293, 63

and the city names apear here:
    descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt
    imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt
    descr_regions.txt

p.s. thanks for your help Nemotrox, maybe I resolved the problem.
    there is something bugged in the campaign_script.txt
    Last edited by Rammstein; February 21, 2007 at 03:00 PM.

first invasion should come:
    after

event historic mongols_invasion_warn
    date 128 144

and

event counter mongols_invasion
    date 4 10

so after 132 to 154 years after the game starts

Whoa so does this mean you have a fix for the 1260 ad crash bug soon?

That's awesome, now I finally finish the game for once.

um.. hi, u mentioned a moment ago about accelerated production yes?

well, i use infinate money (add_money 40000) to give myself and all faction the cash to have huge constant battles. there came a point where obviously the game would get so full up with factions armies that processing can take a little longer than normal.

reach 1144..... crash to a black screen during end turn, (had to click ESC to return to desktop.

just saying this to let you know that this doesnt only happen on year 1260

thanks

EDIT: ps, do these event follow specific years or turns? if this is one of the problems ofr you mongol issues then maybe its due to the fact the mod makes it a turn per year.

also, this might be normal, but the onlt event i have had is a volcano in sicily i noticed (sodding mountain caused the death of 3 quarters of my crusade, i had to miss out on the fun..), i never got to the gunderpower one but i had not seen a single 'historic' event before 1145
    Last edited by sicarius; February 21, 2007 at 02:31 PM.

I got ya... i was just making a observation that maybe the game--for no good reason--still checks if those cites exist in those files. Like a backup system CA used in earlier versions of the game that were just kept in.

Sicarius -- i think both our findings really to point directly at the events issure. Hopefully its a simple bug... and for the 1 year per turn, its been like that and i think this bug is with newer versions...

good luck ramm, i don't have much time for playtesting today sorry

Maybe someone can give every faction all types of its units at startup... and see if its a unit thing. This can be done with buildings as well.

and sicarius, sometimes mtw2 just needs a reinstall so be careful to make sure its related (i.e. other mods or vanilla work fine)

what year is the mongol warning and invasion suposed to happen?

EDIT

further, if i only wanted re-balanced units and aditional citys, without this CTD bug, would RTJ 1.11 be the one for me?

EDIT

further,

i looked at the dates for the mongol warning in the descr_events and i found this date 128 144, but i didnt understand it so i need to know when the date was to confirm. however, the 144 unless im wrong is the date 1144... which is the same date of my CTD, if what im telling you correct, then you conclusion about those cities are definately correct.

sicarius
    Last edited by sicarius; February 22, 2007 at 01:19 PM.

invasion warning should come from 128-144 years after your game starts.

this bug is known from v1.1 on (I think) had CTD reports from there on

so even without the mod the bug will still happen?

I am playing a long campaign as Portugal and I am getting a CTD upon end turn in the year 1139. Not sure if it's related to these others, but it's a real bummer... I'm loving the mod and have a great game going!

A quick question..

If the crash is due to the Mongol invasion..what if you put in the mogols in the begining of the game? Would that negate the invasion warning? or is that hardcoded?
    -FantomBlu

Cymera's Avatar Roma Invictus

Well, development may want to slow down, since the new patch should be out within a short amount of time, considering that the list of changes was released. I will leave this to Ramm, but it is quite possible that whatever causes this bug will be fixed in the patch.

Under the Patronage of the Wise Kara Kolyo in the Hallowed House of Wilpuri
    Proud Patron of the Charming
    Balikedes, an Insightful and Tactful Warrior.

Extended Greek Mod (XGM) Lover ..... A mod by DimeBagHo

"
    The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by
    experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct
    "

- Marcus Tullius Cicero

why not just take the mongols out of the picture?

no mongols or those other guys, no problem

because we don't know exactly where the problem lies... there have been crash reports from 1150 or so to 1260. These mods don't change that much and i've seen posts on other mods/general discussion about crashes...

sometimes a reinstall helps... sometimes using toggle_fow helps some ppl say or moving units around when a turn crashes on you.

And hey ramm, do you have an explanation for what i didn't get mongol invasion in my test? i passed the warning by more than 10 years... maybe my 10 year per turn messes it up :\...

could you try to set the warning for year 2, invasion year 5 and see if it crashes at start of game (i guess at 1187)? isolate problem ya know?

Quote Originally Posted by Nemotrox View Post
    moving units around when a turn crashes on you.
    that ones true. i tried it for no motivated reason and the turn after worked, but the turn after that didnt

i'd like to know how certian you are that the cause isnt a mere overload of armies on the map. i swear, the campaign that crashed on me was processing atleast 2500 units of soldiers, probably more. every faction had over 3 million florins. for sum reason though it always crashes now when its processing englands moves. probably coincedence

@Nemotrox
    all events work with rounds played not from years, so palying 2 turns a year the crash will come before. (you have to play 120-140 turn before the invasion)

setting the invasion after 10 turn didnt trigger it warning came but no invasion

putting the mongols in from the start could be a solution, but Im still searching for the exact bug.
    the offcial patch 1.2 is coming soon (next week). So dont expect the new RTJ version soon.
    Last edited by Rammstein; February 23, 2007 at 11:23 AM.

the money problems should be fixed so ppl/ai aren't just capable of building and supporting tons of armies. However, i don't see how just having tons of units on the campaign map will make a difference. It could cause slow down for so much unit info--but it shouldn't crash it... you could give yourself like 100,000 units and see if you could crash yourself that way. Patch 2 is coming soon so we probly just gonna wait.

[quote=Rammstein;1535313]@Nemotrox
    all events work with rounds played not from years, so palying 2 turns a year the crash will come before. (you have to play 120-140 turn before the invasion) quote]

Wait! so your saying that the invasion comes after 120-140 turns whereas events come after so-in-so years. Makes sense with my 10 years per turn cause i got all the events but no invasions.

Are you completely positive about the invasions come after turns tho, all other events come in years?? so once the event warning comes it will be so-in-so turns more till invasion. I think i'll still test having the mongols invade around 1100 to see if the crash is from mongols.

(in addition, has anyone seen mongols in rtj lately that might rule this out?)

I've encountered them in a 2.1 campaign as the turks, I got the warning, and invasion after 5 years, 10 turns. Killed the first 5 stacks, then i got the faction whiped msg. after another 5 years, another 5 stacks reappeared. After that i installed version 2.2 and it screwed my save game, so cant test more on that game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast