Thread: Triple Buffering

Foederatus

Default Triple Buffering

This is a technical question that I could/should ask elsewhere, but since I am exclusively playing LTC mod I want to be sure. Please let me explain.

I prefer using Vsync, and as folks know to help compensate for the drop in fps I would like to use Triple Buffering. I cannot find any reference for this option in my game configuration files (Lands to Conquer or original Medieval 2). Is this correct folks? Perhaps I have to add a line into my config files?

So last night I created a nVIDIA game profile for my BFG 6800 OC (256MB) AGP video card, left everything to default (i.e., Application Preference) except I turned on Triple Buffering. Now when creating this profile I believe one must select an .exe file. I naturally picked Medieval?.exe, but wondered if this properly works since I launch using the .bat file for LTC?

TS!
    Last edited by TacticalSkirmish; February 21, 2007 at 09:55 AM.

Taneda Santôka's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Triple Buffering

Is THAT what you're looking for?, or you're alredy using it and just wondering if it works with mods? It should.

Foederatus

Thanks for your reply. I saw that thread. However, it deals with using Direct X, which nullifies the nVIDIA profiles since they only use OpenGL.

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalSkirmish View Post
    Now when creating this profile I believe one must select an .exe file. I naturally picked Medieval?.exe, but wondered if this properly works since I launch using the .bat file for LTC?
    Long Answer:
    The .bat file is opened by cmd.exe (.bat files are associated with cmd.exe just like .doc files are associated with Word). Cmd.exe reads the .bat file and spawns medieval2.exe as a new process using a few flags.

On startup, medieval2.exe is passed those flags and interprets them as an instruction to load the LTC mod. It then passes control to the Video driver. The first thing the video driver does is query the operating system for the name of the process it is running in. The OS passes back "medieval2.exe", the video driver looks up the settings associated with that string, and then you've got your Triple Buffering.

Short Answer:
    Yes. Medieval2.exe is the right choice.

Verify:
    Maybe you can't really notice whether triple buffering is set or not. However, minimize all the settings and I bet you'll notice that. Try setting up your profile for medieval2.exe so that you minimize all your settings and start LTC. If it looks ugly, you're profile is working.

It's also possible that M2TW just can't take advantage of triple buffering. Couldn't tell ya one way or t'other.