Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: [Wiki] Upload sites

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Default Re: Upload sites

Quote Originally Posted by SharpEyed View Post
    Well it's interesting that since 2012 no posts here, and no one even mentioned the Mediafire (I guess)
    Thou most of the modders already using it
    Why the thread didn't have much activity since 2012 is simple, I forgot that I've had posted in this thread.

I just wanted to mention another non TW-community site and that's The Assimiliation Lab (TAL).

Main Page: http://www.theassimilationlab.com/
    File Size Limit: 6 GB
    Download Counter: No
    File Retention Time: ?
    URL Upload: ?
    Other Comments: No ads before downloading and no pending process similar to what ModDB has

However, since I play Total War games and TES games the founder on TAL agreed to allow uploading and re-uploading TW mods, in fact TAL also offer mirroring of other game mods and TW mods.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

I've removed the rather out-of-date info from the OP of this thread, apologies for forgetting it for so long!

www.twcenter.net/wiki/Upload_Sites

Now has the current info - but is probably still missing sites/details. If you spot anything feel free to edit it, or leave a message on its discussion page, or below here.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

What about Mega (mega.co.nz)?
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

erm, this was my reaction last time someone sent me a link hosted on that site;

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    Hiya - that download site is a pile of rancid crud... I got half way through downloading and it said I'd exceeded my free transfer limit and had to make a free account - after various objections like I couldn't use ' off' as a password I made a free account and started again - got half way through the download and it said I'd exceeded my free accounts' transfer limit - so I'd have to upgrade to $4.99 a month version or wait 5 hours... if you were thinking of distributing via that site - don't!

If you don't have any other options for uploading could you private message me your email address and I'll link you to a shared folder on my dropbox account where you can paste it...
    Have you used it yourself successfully? It/I might just have been having a bad day - but it looked remarkably like it was set up to try and force downloaders into getting paid accounts (?)

I did wonder about putting dropbox on this, I use it but haven't tried hosting anything on it for multiple downloads... free account looks like 2GB size limit and 20GB bandwidth for downloads per day max.

Blog Entries

I actually use it quite often. I have a free account in it (50Gb storage) originally made to upload my mod. Note that I also use their application (similar to Dropbox principle). Honesly, so far so good.
    I think the limit to transfer for a free account is 10Gb/day. I've never been asked to pay anything for any kind of service. So what happened to you sounds strange to me.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

erm, this was my reaction last time someone sent me a link hosted on that site;

Have you used it yourself successfully? It/I might just have been having a bad day - but it looked remarkably like it was set up to try and force downloaders into getting paid accounts (?)

I did wonder about putting dropbox on this, I use it but haven't tried hosting anything on it for multiple downloads... free account looks like 2GB size limit and 20GB bandwidth for downloads per day max.
    I have to agree with this.

Because it's, what people in the TES community would call it, an obscured site e.g RapidShare, SendSpace, Mediafire etc, and every TES-modder I know of are staying away of those sites. Of course a modder will probably use it when sharing some stuff with a few people.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Blog Entries

May be but all the sites you have mentioned are currently listed in the Wiki, section "General purpose Upload Sites". Hence my question: why listing these sites and not Mega?
    At least on Mega, there's no adds, no pop-up windows, no cookies, etc...

Good question.

I think the resurrected Mega site in New Zealand got a *bad* reputation thanks for the site closure of MegaUpload by the FBI a couple of years ago, and that could explain why Mega aren't used as mush as the other sites.

Another site that had a good reputation is GameFront, also shut down by the owner, and were frequently used by a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    May be but all the sites you have mentioned are currently listed in the Wiki, section "General purpose Upload Sites". Hence my question: why listing these sites and not Mega?
    Wiki page only recently got split that way - we're trying to update something that's been dormant since 2012 so it's probably missing quite a few things

Anyway, yes, they are probably similar , (despite some personal misgivings!) I'll add Mega if no-one else does first...

I've added a bit of waffle to try and say the dedicated gaming sites are probably better for full mod distribution & watch out for download limits on the others... if anyone has a better way of phrasing that - or other corrections to make - please do (wiki is meant to be collaborative)

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    Another site that had a good reputation is GameFront, also shut down by the owner, and were frequently used by a lot of people.
    GameFront seems to be back (although it looks remarkably like an off-shoot of moddb) - it's on the 'dedicated gaming/modding' bit of the list at the moment.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the info makanyane.

Another question but may be not in the right place: what about the use of torrents? I know they have also a bad reputation but actually their principle isn't bad as long people seed and don't use them for illegal purposes.
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; May 12, 2017 at 02:06 PM.

GameFront seems to be back (although it looks remarkably like an off-shoot of moddb) - it's on the 'dedicated gaming/modding' bit of the list at the moment.
    I didn't know that. Thanks for mention it.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Thanks for the info makanyane.

Another question but may be not in the right place: what about the use of torrents? I know they have also a bad reputation but actually their principle isn't bad as long people seed and don't use them for illegal purposes.
    There is nothing wrong with torrents (don't know how often I have responded to this question). They do have a bad reputation however due to being nearly exclusively used to upload pirated software which often has a virus in the necessary crack (there is no such thing as 'safe' pirated software).

Often people also do not understand the principle of torrents, eg that you first download a file containing the info about the download - this is the actual torrent file which requires hosting on a website. Obtaining that file from a website that does not have strict controls is akin to Russian roulette. The actual game files are 'hosted in the cloud' and cannot be altered without disabling the hash check of the torrent file.
    Note: it is possible to 'fix' regular downloads via torrents if the files are identical, eliminating time consuming re-downloads - helped that way with the PDeR download a while back.

Personally I use torrents for 6 of my mods and the torrent files are safely hosted here on TWC - torrents eliminate download errors and allow users with a low bandwidth to avoid time out restrictions of most 'regular' hosting sites.

I am not sure of the particular reason why it isn't listed but I suspect it's because it is one of a number of 'regular' download sites are blocked in various countries (mega is in mine) because they do not 'vet' their downloads for copy right violations. Vetting is certainly done: I had a download of mine removed from Mediafire because it contained the word 'Westeros'. For a long time that was the official download for the mod (version 0.54?) of the same name here and it's removal was highly annoying but confirmed that media fire were dong 'their thing'.
    Last edited by Gigantus; May 12, 2017 at 11:04 PM.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

I've downloaded a number of mods from Mega over the past few months/year and have not had a problem. In fact, the downloads were regularly faster than most other sites à la Mediafire. Might be because of my proximity to New Zealand?

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Frunk View Post
    I've downloaded a number of mods from Mega over the past few months/year and have not had a problem. In fact, the downloads were regularly faster than most other sites à la Mediafire. Might be because of my proximity to New Zealand?
    I have hosted MOS for years on MEGA and that is a very big file (3.5 GB). The download speed is one of the fastest I know of of any free hosting site. Also it accepts very large files, for ModDB for instance, I had to split up the MOS file in two parts. I was not aware however that MEGA is blocked in several countries. Well, for cases like that we have several download options available of course. It is a very bad idea to only offer one.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

I used Mega, and thus far no one has indicated to me any issues with downloading.
    I also use ModDB.

So far, my mods involved half-dozen DB tables. However, I will be uploading a huge overhaul, so I may have issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Veteraan View Post
    Also it accepts very large files, for ModDB for instance, I had to split up the MOS file in two parts. I was not aware however that MEGA is blocked in several countries. Well, for cases like that we have several download options available of course. It is a very bad idea to only offer one.
    Read my post here about The Assimilation Lab (TAL) that accept large files, plus also offer project hosting e.g forum, gallery, download area.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

No-one seems to have mentioned Google Drive?
    Its what I use, the only downside to it is that each file has a download cap which can be reached pretty easily by popular mods.
    Luckily that can be bypassed fairly easily (ignore how bad my voice sounds, I had a half-broken microphone that was duct taped together)

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    Read my post here about The Assimilation Lab (TAL) that accept large files, plus also offer project hosting e.g forum, gallery, download area.
    I already did, it's in this thread after all.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234