Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Guide to Modding Character Names in M2:TW

Black Francis's Avatar -IN-NOMINE-XPI-VINCAS-

Default Re: A Guide to Modding Character Names in M2:TW

Quote Originally Posted by deRougemont View Post
    I figured as much. You'll be happy to know that I'm working on a custom descr_strat.txt for M2:TW v 1.2 (that cutomizes the starting character names). I'll also be making one for LTC 2.3. So I'll have downloads for both vanilla and LTC. That way all the starting characters will have correct names.
    Excellent news my friend!

Anyway, I checked the family tree in game and all the female members I had edited in desc_strat have "Altavilla" after their names but King Roger and Prince Simon do not. Strange.

IN-HOC-SIGNO-VINCES

deRougemont's Avatar Yeoman

Quote Originally Posted by Black Francis View Post
    Excellent news my friend!

Anyway, I checked the family tree in game and all the female members I had edited in desc_strat have "Altavilla" after their names but King Roger and Prince Simon do not. Strange.
    This is correct, Francis. You see, when the game gives them the appellations of "King" or "Prince" to a character, it takes away that person's last name. It's always done this unfortunately. But it's not an error, so you should be good to go.
    Last edited by deRougemont; April 15, 2007 at 12:55 PM.

Black Francis's Avatar -IN-NOMINE-XPI-VINCAS-

Quote Originally Posted by deRougemont View Post
    This is correct, Francis. You see, when the game gives them the appellations of "King" or "Prince", it takes away that person's last name. It's always done this unfortunately. But it's not an error, so you should be good to go.
    I seeeee... Thanks for clearing that up for me. Back to my game!

IN-HOC-SIGNO-VINCES

Socal_infidel's Avatar PDER Piper

deRougemont:

Do you happen to know if, in the case of overlap names (i.e. names common to multiple factions), it matters or is necessary to have them listed in the names.txt.strings file for all instances?

For example, "Edmund" is shared by 6 or so factions. Does it need to be listed six times in the names.txt.strings file? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Socal_infidel View Post
    deRougemont:

Do you happen to know if, in the case of overlap names (i.e. names common to multiple factions), it matters or is necessary to have them listed in the names.txt.strings file for all instances?

For example, "Edmund" is shared by 6 or so factions. Does it need to be listed six times in the names.txt.strings file? thanks
    No, you only need one instance, though the name may be present for several factions. The names.txt is "factionless"; just a long list of names without any particular order to it.

great answer! As I've already de-duped the names...thanks...

deRougemont - one more question...but before that wanted to thank you for taking the time to oversee this Project. Nice job. Just downloaded the latest version. Trying it out right now.

Okay, I wanted to replace the Sicilian names in your mod to more French-Norman ones as a matter of personal taste. I added them to both descr_names and names.txt. But my question is this - is it a problem if I leave the ones I replaced (i.e. the Italianized versions)in the names.txt? Or do I need to clear the old ones out too? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Socal_infidel View Post
    deRougemont - one more question...but before that wanted to thank you for taking the time to oversee this Project. Nice job. Just downloaded the latest version. Trying it out right now.

Okay, I wanted to replace the Sicilian names in your mod to more French-Norman ones as a matter of personal taste. I added them to both descr_names and names.txt. But my question is this - is it a problem if I leave the ones I replaced (i.e. the Italianized versions)in the names.txt? Or do I need to clear the old ones out too? Thanks!
    No, you can leave the old names which you don't plan on using in the names.txt; that won't have any negative effects. If you look at the bottom of my BACKUP_names.txt that I provided you will see that half the list is the old vanilla names that are no longer found in the descr_names.txt. They'll remain there until I've redone every faction in the descr_names.txt.

BUT, remember that you will have to replace the starting character names for Sicily as well. If you don't the game will search for the norman-italian names, not find them, and crash when you try to start a campaign. Good luck, and glad you like it!

Hm, i don't find the names.txt.bin file... All i have is names.txt.strings, it's also a bin but if i want to open it with the text editor, there is no clear structure but just somethin like:

â  A a r o n  A a r o n  A b a d a i  A b a d a i  A b a d h u n  A b a d h u n A b a l a n t e s A b a l a n t e s  A b a n  A b a n  A b a n g i s  A b a n g i s  A b a n t e s  A b a n t e s  A b a q h a  A b a q h a  A b a s  A b a s
    A b a s c a n t u s
    A b a s c a n t u s  A b a s h a n  A b a s h a n  A b a y a n  A b a y a n  A b b a d o  A b b a d o  A b b a s  A b b a s 

Which prog should i use to read it (Open Office didn't work too) or is it just the wrong file?

finneys13's Avatar *Insert Generic Title*
    Kosice, Budapest, Dublin, other random places

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=102267

Bottom of opening post in that thread, download the .zip containing the .txt files. After editing, put names.txt into the text folder, remove the old names.txt.strings and start up the game, it will generate a new .bin file for you.

Kosoy's Avatar Laetus

Hey all,

I'm not sure if this thread is still alive or not, but here goes.
    I'm extremely new to this modding thing, I wouldnt even call myself a novice yet. I've tried to follow the walkthrough in doing the character name change.

I've added ONE name into the descr_names.txt file.
    I've added ONE name into the descr_names_lookup.txt file.
    I've changed ONE name in the descr_strat.txt file.
    I've downloaded deRougemont's super awesome names.txt file and deleted the names.txt.strings.bin file that appears in the TEXT folder.

Here are my problems:

1 - When I change the names in the descr_strat.txt file and start a new game, the faction leader character who's name I changed appears without a name and no family tree. When I switch the name back in the descr_strat.txt file, everything works fine with the original name.

2 - When I deleted the names.txt.strings.bin file after downloading deRougemont's names.txt file, the names.txt.strings.bin file no longer appears in the TEXT file. From what I read and understood, it should reappear when you start a new game.

Am I doing something wrong? Did I miss something?

Please help

Thanks,

Kosoy

sinople's Avatar These Romans are crazy!

descr_names_lookup.txt is not necessary

How can I modify a single name?

F.e. John Smith ----> Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Johan217's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by PowerWizard View Post
    How can I modify a single name?

F.e. John Smith ----> Arnold Schwarzenegger.
    That is only possible if this name belongs to a starting character defined in the campaign's descr_strat.txt. Then it's just a matter of finding the name in descr_strat.txt and replacing it as long as you are replacing it with names that exist for that nation.

In your example, you would also have to add Schwarzenegger to the list of English surnames in descr_names.txt, then adding it to descr_names_lookup.txt and names.txt
    Rock 'n' roll is the only religion that will never let you down

Icon1 Re: A Guide to Modding Character Names in M2:TW

Quote Originally Posted by Johan217 View Post
    That is only possible if this name belongs to a starting character defined in the campaign's descr_strat.txt. Then it's just a matter of finding the name in descr_strat.txt and replacing it as long as you are replacing it with names that exist for that nation.

In your example, you would also have to add Schwarzenegger to the list of English surnames in descr_names.txt, then adding it to descr_names_lookup.txt and names.txt
    Done.

+rep

I have a problem. I am trying to add a name and I put it all necessary files but on the sys log it says it cannot find it. Need help.

I downloaded the game via direct download and I cannot seem to get the patch to install...

Is there a way I can get the patch to recognize the files in my computer or is there a way for me to manually insert the descr_names.txt files etc...etc... into the ata files and so forth?...

I have the files individually but do not see the "Text" location within the "Data" folder to insert the names.txt.strings folder in...

Quote Originally Posted by K.Snyder View Post
    I downloaded the game via direct download and I cannot seem to get the patch to install...

Is there a way I can get the patch to recognize the files in my computer or is there a way for me to manually insert the descr_names.txt files etc...etc... into the ata files and so forth?...

I have the files individually but do not see the "Text" location within the "Data" folder to insert the names.txt.strings folder in...
    do you have a tools file in which you can unpack all the files. then you would see the text folder. remember to delete new geography files so the game can work.

Quote Originally Posted by Sultan Hisham View Post
    do you have a tools file in which you can unpack all the files. then you would see the text folder. remember to delete new geography files so the game can work.
    Well first off I have to tell you that I'm not very computer pragmatic...

If you mean something like a winRAR application I have that...

And I don't know what you mean by "geography files"...

Quote Originally Posted by K.Snyder View Post
    Well first off I have to tell you that I'm not very computer pragmatic...

If you mean something like a winRAR application I have that...

And I don't know what you mean by "geography files"...
    Oh ok I see the unpacker file in the "tools" folder...

I'd read the "Read me" file and it told me to create a text file by completing the "List_Contents.bat" But all I see now is a "Pack_contents" text document...Do I add that to the "Data" folder?...Is the "Pack_contents" the "Text" file in which is being referred to?...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast