Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Guide to Modding Character Names in M2:TW

Default Re: A Guide to Modding Character Names in M2:TW

Ok, when I run the extractor I can edit everything and it works fine, except for some reason when I go to the battle maps it crashes. its like the ground textures or something aren't there. if theres a way to remedy this it would be awesome.
    For The Greater Good.

Ok. It seems I can answer both your's and Snyder's question. Snyder, what you do is you go to the unpacker and it should show the cmd prompt. say yes to it and let it load all the files. once that is done, you will see the tools folder. also what you will find( and this goes for you harry) are two geography files. Delete them.

Ok I tried what you said but under
    Data/tools/ theres the Viewer file and that only has a grass texture file.
    so idk, anything else maybe?
    For The Greater Good.

Ignore my last statement, I found the files you where talking about and it works!
    Thanks allot man.
    For The Greater Good.

Glad that you could find it.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

I have been trying to get the new faction names to show up with each character but it seems like the game generator for names uses the list about so far in the making its off the names.txt.

Just running it for about 20 turns, I have every 13th character coming up without a name. The string.bin file is regenerating itself after the changes. Is there a minimum number of names needed inthe desc_names.txt per faction to keep this from happening? Is there something else I have not taken into account?

Tornnight's site is having hiccups so I can't download his name verifier. Is there another source?

Thank you in advance.

I have the same problem as Kosoy. I added a name to the relevant files. But, when I run the game, my character appears with no name.

Now, when I change the character name back (to William) in my descr_strat, he still shows up with no name. Ideas?

hI!I think it would be a good idea to make small programs for this things..but i am saying this cause noone ever reads this stuff and noone EVER ANSWERS WHEN I MAKE A QUESTION!!!!!!SO F ALL OF U AND DIE!

Under 13 (COPPA)

I`m getting the errors that Lopus was getting but i fixed it and now i play some Turkish saladin as like Deyalialis

Ive followed this guide step by step and i get the return to the main menu, i did something different tho i added names that weren't in the game originally could this cause the problem? also when i start the game its not converting names.txt to a .bin file >_<

update:
    i ran the name checker and there were no errors >_< so all i can think of is that because the .bin file isn't being created I'm being sent back to the main menu?
    Last edited by ktknx; October 16, 2009 at 12:46 AM.

The first and second posts regarding the Excel spreadsheet were great, but I thought of a few simplifications while running through it myself. If anyone is still playing and editing M2TW like I am (can´t move forward in the series until I get back tot he US and get off this laptop!) So, I left the names.strings.txt or whatever its called alone and made a names.txt fiile. I copied all the names (after making my changes) from the export names file and pasted them in excel. All the names were conveniently in Column C, so I erased A and B. Then I copy all the names and place them in the .txt file just for safe keeping. you then do a search and replace for a space (" ") and replace it with "_" and all the spaces are gone...no need to do anything by hand. Then you paste in the names from your text file to Column B and do the same cell options, personalize thing except make it bracket {@}. Then use a function to combine columns B and C into column A, move column a to the txt file, after alphabetizing of course, and it should work! Thanks for the help guys!
    Total War addict since the beginning.

First of all, I don't have excel. Does that matter? Because I just added all my names to the Portugal portion of the descr_names.txt. Then I opened a spreadsheet and arranged the names by category (first names, surnames, bynames, female names) and then added the brackets i.e. {Michail}Michail. And I want to add it to the names.txt....

But, I can't find the names.txt file. Whenever I search for it, it comes back with names.txt.strings and the names.txt for RTW. I have Windows 7 and I already revealed hidden files. Please help me.

I am very new and I pretty much have a very vague idea of what I'm doing.

Is this thread even active anymore?

okay so i tried modding the character names of my faction, now whenever a of my faction have children, the children now have any names at all just a ( , )....... any one know why or how to fix this?!!

Quote Originally Posted by adzi13 View Post
    okay so i tried modding the character names of my faction, now whenever a of my faction have children, the children now have any names at all just a ( , )....... any one know why or how to fix this?!!
    adzi13 just to get all the facts before i start whipping up unfounded explanations =P
    did you add the names to both
    1. descr_names.txt
    and
    2. names.txt(.strings.bin)?

i'm guessing you probably did all this, though, so maybe you can upload your copies of those files here? who knows, maybe there's an extra space or a stray comma that's messing things up. i do that all the time and spend hours pounding my face to the desk before i find them =)

i just dont get it, i mean i'm just modding m2tw... ive done all the hard bits from making new traits and giving characters titles per settlement to renaming regions etc but now every now and then my faction has NAMELESS CHILDREN!!! haha.. ive uploaded the files, perhaps you could possibly go over them?? i would really appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by Soul_Provider View Post
    Hm, i don't find the names.txt.bin file... All i have is names.txt.strings, it's also a bin but if i want to open it with the text editor, there is no clear structure but just somethin like:

â  A a r o n  A a r o n  A b a d a i  A b a d a i  A b a d h u n  A b a d h u n A b a l a n t e s A b a l a n t e s  A b a n  A b a n  A b a n g i s  A b a n g i s  A b a n t e s  A b a n t e s  A b a q h a  A b a q h a  A b a s  A b a s
    A b a s c a n t u s
    A b a s c a n t u s  A b a s h a n  A b a s h a n  A b a y a n  A b a y a n  A b b a d o  A b b a d o  A b b a s  A b b a s 

Which prog should i use to read it (Open Office didn't work too) or is it just the wrong file?

I have the same problem. I don't want accurate history names, I just want to change some names who appear latter in the game.

What should I do? And how?

deRougemont,

If I change vast majority of names in descr_names (in data directory), should I change names in {} in names.txt. in text directory?

I mean, if there's Aurora in descr_names, and no Alveva, but Aurora is not in names.txt., should I write {Alveva}Aurora? Or {Aurora}Aurora?

Please help me!

Is There Easy Way Cause i tried For two Days... Please Help Thank You...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast