Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: [M2TW AAR] Imperator Svrrectvm [Book II : The Place in Time]

Default [M2TW AAR] Imperator Svrrectvm [Book II : The Place in Time]

Prelude...

1100 Anno Domini.

The Empire of the Greeks. Imperial Rome.

Alexios I has not sent aid for assistance from Papal Rome; it is a time line unknown to anyone reading this now.

The Empire of the Greeks is still ravaged and weakened to the core, or so would many Westerners and Muslims alike believe.

It has been twenty years since the loss of Anatolia and Armenia to the marauding Seljuk, the invaders from the Asian Steppe to the East. At that time, Imperial Rome had never been so weakened and on the verge of extinction. However, times of change have started to take place. Under the influence of one man Rome is resurgent. Whether it was divine intervention or divine euphoria that had been the guide to the resurrection... it has only just begun.

To begin twenty years prior, the Empire was already on the brink of total decay. Civil wars capitalized on the dismay found in Kōnstantinoupolis, the greatest gem of Eastern Christianity. The Emperor, although tyrannical in his actions, was a pious warrior who believed in the visage of the Christ here on Earth. Within a month of his ascension, he began a complete reorganization of the themes that had held the Eastern Romans together for centuries. It was said by his closest companions that he had revelations of the Lord in his palace chambers. Each time a vision came, the Emperor would shortly there after lock his person in his bed chambers, not to be disturbed. He would reemerge hours later with a countenance glowing of determination and blood thirst. The sight, one Varangian guard reminisced, was the look of a wolf glaring at prey.

Alexios was the only one who could understand his otherworldly visits by our Lord and revealed none of what was "said" to his advisers. This bore obvious consequences in the sacking of many key political figures, causing distrust in the Emperor early on. However, his bold actions would bring about a renewal in the faith of Greko-Romano supremacy and the way of Roman dominance over the land. In the Emperor's situation, actions would have to speak louder then words... and they did. His first daring command was to pull all Roman soldiers out of the Italian homelands and begin a campaign of plunder on the way back to the great Thessalian stronghold in Greece. Thousands of troops landed outside of the Italian-held city of Dhyracchium, destroying its defensive walls and sacking the core of the city. The troops returned to central Greece, filled with gold and glory alike, and formed a veteran army led by the Emperor and his allies. Within only five years, the new Roman Imperial Army and barbarian mercenaries of the Cumans had conquered all territory leading up to and including Sofia, the last trace of Bulgarian and Pecheneg might throughout the land. Another force, lead by the Imperial Heir, helped recapture strategic cities and strongholds throughout Anatolia. Soon, the Turk-held cities of Nicaea, Prusa, Abydus, Ephesus and Smyrna had been reclaimed through a campaign of Roman might and mobility.

"Blood and honour," were the calls of victory.

However, fighting for Anatolia was no meager task, for there were Seljuks blocking the way. For each step taken east, they took one west. These converts to Islam had swept up through the heartland of Mesopotamia, carving out a swath of land to call their own. After Manzikert, the Turkomen became the great enemy of Orthodox Christianity, more so than the heretical ideologists of Papal Rome. However, the Seljuks were not the only harbingers of despair for Alexios. Kōnstantinoupolis had only but look to the Compass Rose to find an enemy of Imperial Rome.

To the far southeast, the Fatamids have grown in strength, through numbers and through Empire. Two hundred years ago, the mighty Roman armies were even at the gates of Jerusalem itself! How the mighty had fallen, for decades, nay, two centuries of in-fighting and the squandering of imperial reserves on decadent desires and bribing had bankrupted and all but annihilated the Roman Imperium, even before the Turk menace. The last bastion of Roman influence in the land lay on Cyprus and the fortifications in Nicosia. No one has heard how the stronghold has fared for over two years... now its fate is uncertain. Even though taxes flow from the island to the Imperial coffers, it is uncertain who wields control over the inhabitants.

Even though the Fatamid and Seljuk bitterly fight over Lord and land, they do have one agreement. To them, the sign of Rum...

روم

...was to be destroyed at all costs, for the sake of Allah.

To the west lay the cities of Southern Italy, held time and time again by Roman Emperors and their vassals. The Normans, upstart knights from lands in Northern France, had now completed their conquest of Aengland and Sicily. These were considered bastardized versions of proper Christians, believed to masquerade under the banner of our Lord simply for plunder and fortune. The Normans now controlled Neapolis and Panormus, along with the whole of Sicily and Southern Italy, bordering Rome. It is only a matter of time before the Normans begin to re-imagine the conquests of Ancient Rome and set their sights on Greece.

Finally, to the north, lay a tribe of ancient warriors. It was barbarous enough that the Magyars now had a kingdom of their own, but that the church would solemnly recognize it as a "Christian" nation? Blasphemy! The Hungarian lords have started centralizing their power by conquering neighboring territories once ruled by Bulgarian aristocrats. A clash with these people is imminent, for the Magyars are believed to hold Hunnic blood in their veins... and the Hun will not forget an old enemy such as Rome.

Kiev is the only ally of Imperial Rome. Even though the ties are close, our two disparate leaders have mutually conflicting agendas. Kiev is a bustling hub of Russian, Slavic and Varangian denizens, but it lacks too little military strength to be considered a warrior-state. This Principality has given up the ways of war to the ways of diplomacy... a mistake foolish beyond reason.

Change is inevitable and the times call for much change. Alexios now commands the greatest military might the Imperium has seen in almost an epoch. Even though our hearts are broken, our eyes are blind and our skin is scarred, our bodies continue to fight as we are now of one mind.

This is the story of Imperial Resurgence.

Let there be light...

Last edited by d. Agrippa; October 01, 2008 at 11:30 PM.

Human beings are wretched things. They envy anyone who possesses even a little more than themselves. And yet, they despise them if they have nothing.

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

Default Re: Imperator Svrrectvm

:O
    Looking forward to your AAR, very nicely set up!

Soulghast's Avatar RAWR!

Congratulations! This AAR seems great. I will be looking forward to it. Byzantium is one of my favourite factions. BTW welcome to TWC, your first post being an AAR means that we have to see a lot from you.
    Ex-Curator
    Under the Patronage of Perikles
    Patron of Desperado † and Astaroth

R.I.P Calvin

Thank you for the early praise and recognition.. I decided to write this just on a whim... I really don't know why. I'm looking forward to any comments or criticism on my play style/writing style.

Don't expect too many updates with pictures... I love them too, but bare with me as being able to take the photos and upload them after a game is much tougher than just writing out storyline during my history class.
    Last edited by d. Agrippa; March 30, 2008 at 06:17 PM.

Human beings are wretched things. They envy anyone who possesses even a little more than themselves. And yet, they despise them if they have nothing.

Giorgos's Avatar Deus Ex Machina

very good Agrippa. can't wait for the continuation. i am a byzantine faction fan as well.

Soulghast's Avatar RAWR!

Maybe you could make some role-playing?
    Ex-Curator
    Under the Patronage of Perikles
    Patron of Desperado † and Astaroth

R.I.P Calvin

I do indeed plan to make a story out of this, so don't worry about that. If you want a good idea of what I'm aiming for, then watch Rome on HBO.
    Last edited by d. Agrippa; October 05, 2008 at 11:24 AM.

Giorgos's Avatar Deus Ex Machina

is that the 2nd season of rome on hbo? because i own the 1st season and max pirkis(octavian jnr) was one of the best characters casted imo.

Hex Khan's Avatar Oooooh Yeeeaah!!

hmm ensnaring intro Agrippa, looking forward to your updates, just a pity you've beaten me to it, was and still am planning on doing an byzantine AAR myself.

impetious and eager for your update Imperator
    Historical Reenactor and Proud of it
    Winner of Best AAR Writer Award 2007

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

How many times do I have to tell people this? Surrectum is a supine verb form - in other words, it's a neuter singular perfect participle. It means 'it having arisen'. So Imperator Surrectum means 'the emperor it having arisen'.

Please, for the love of all that is Latin, it's Imperator Surregit.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith Darksea View Post
    How many times do I have to tell people this? Surrectum is a supine verb form - in other words, it's a neuter singular perfect participle. It means 'it having arisen'. So Imperator Surrectum means 'the emperor it having arisen'.

Please, for the love of all that is Latin, it's Imperator Surregit.
    Thanks for the info... but to tell you the truth, I just ripped the name from another person's AAR I read some time ago. It wasn't the same title, but I pulled half of mine from it. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Anyways, I took German in high school... if that had been Latin I would otherwise be tempted to change the title.

@Hex Khan: Don't let my AAR deter you from writing yours. Everyone loves a good Roman alternate history arch.

First installment in series coming soon... including the first cast of characters.
    Last edited by d. Agrippa; October 05, 2008 at 11:27 AM.

hey dont worry i dont intend to stop writing it, i'm still pondering whether or nor to post it here with the Eagle Standard, until then I'm busy with my crusader aar and finishing of the infamous Kazak aar, besides i'm going to be lingering in the shadows watching this and stealing ideas lol

:tacticalw Heres to hoping your Byzantine story lasts, there are a few of them but they all seem to die a death and get forgotten about
    good luck

=================
    Last edited by d. Agrippa; March 30, 2008 at 06:17 PM.

Emporer Alexios I

An Emperor Divine; the one to bring about the new era. Will history be kind to him? Does he plan to write it in blood? His hands are now soaked, but will it be enough to begin the resurgence of the Imperium...

Prince John II

Ambitious and brazen, he is his father's son... or is he? He wants everything and in a hurried state. However, he has a rationalistic side that is forming against his father's wishes. He, for one, does not fashion himself a divination.

Basil Rogertos

This brave man is known as the Wolf of Larissa and has fought for years for his Emperor. In the recent Battle of Smyrna, Rogertos provided the Prince with a plan to take the city in one fell swoop. The maneuver placed faith in the Prince of Rogertos' abilities. Basil Rogertos is now an Imperial General. His fate and the Empire will soon become one.

John Vindicus

Vindicus is the absolute counterpart to Basil Rogertos. He was a childhood friend of Basil's as long as he can remember and has followed his companion through many tribulations. The two men of Larissa were merely captains in the Imperial Army, until the day he suggested a battle plan to his accomplice at Smyrna... then everything changed.

Aria Rogertos

The sister of Basil Rogertos and an idol of her hometown people, she is now of noble status due to her brother's ascension to Imperial General. Her story will ultimately bring happiness to tragedy, for all of Europe.

General Tobromeros

An Imperial General who has served the Emperor for years, Tobromeros now strives to prove he is more worthy of the future Emperor's trust by outperforming General Rogertos at every opportunity.

Captain Gabriazzi

Nobody really knows why this Italian is as he is. He's a quandary... and huge. One look and you'd think he'd come from Pandora's Temple, but in reality he is as humble as a monk (but not quite as virtuous). He serves the Prince directly and is a monster on the battlefield. His first name is unknown, even to the Prince.

Sultan Kilij Arslan

The Great Seljuk Sultan, he has learned much from his father Suleiman I. After losing his capital of Nicaea eight years ago, he is weary of a Turkish Manzikert... what plan will he produce to reconquer Anatolia and ultimately all of Rum...

Prince Mas'ud

The pragmatic son of Arslan, he is a man more of the pen then of the sword. He wishes to inherit the Sultanate from his father and bring about a new Islamic state... will his dream come true?

King Laszlo

The King of Hungary, a man of a great stature and people. The ancient Magyar blood that flows through his veins calls for war... but why does he hesitate...

General Istvon

King Laszlo's Second-in-Command, he is the supreme general of the armed forces of Hungary. Bright, talented and quick to answer with a sword, he is willing to fight Rome all by himself if only to glorify his position in the chapters of history.
    Last edited by d. Agrippa; October 01, 2008 at 11:36 PM.

September 7, 1100

Outskirts of Rhodes

"Don't you EVER do that AGAIN!" Basil had now raised his voice to a roar.
    "What? Question a decision that endangers the lives of the men and ourselves? I'm entitled to oppose such notions!" I wasn't being fair, but I knew this was how our conversation was going to be from the very beginning.
    "No, that's not it! The men look to me as a symbol of authority and intergrity, if they don't have me... then all is lost!" he yelled again. Such a thought was absurd, but his companion knew what he was trying to say. The two men had just left the battalion headquarters on the hilltop. Both were treaking on a road heading to the east, towards the rest of the army. It was the intention of the newly appointed General Basil Rogertos to lay siege to Rhodes and actually capture it with force, instead of waiting for a swift surrender.
    "Look, Basil, we can-"
    "Stop... doing that! I'm the leading military official here and you will address me as so!" Although John did not wish to give his friend more resolve to be angered into making this siege, he intentionally called his friend by his birth name. He almost refused to believe in the idea his compatriot was of general status. The very idea did not dishearten him or make him jealous, it was that it was the young man’s fault for getting him the high position in the first place. John Vindicus began to ignore his friend and stared off into space. That damned prince....

The general was walking slower and staring hard at his friend.
    "Are you listening to me major?"
    "Uh," John shook his head and remembered to focus, "yes, sorry. I'm just thinking."
    "No, that's my job. You need to focus on preparing the troops for dealing with the equipment. If I recall, you are one of the only men on my staff with experience in architecture." John knew what was coming.
    "You and I both know that, but you know my stance on our situation. These are… are our fellows."
    "The Rhodians are Greeks by creed but DOGS by nature! They've gained independence and tasted their "sweet freedom". Now, look where that has them! Look!" Both the men were now on the next hill overlooking the troops and city. It was the same as Ephesus. Damn it all.

It was as though a mist of purple had surrounded the port city. Men were marching to and fro as men do in times of war. There were chefs, carpenters, merchants, fishermen all working to do there part. To soldier by day and live by night. Each of these men wanted to return home, unscathed, to their lovers and children. Even though it was unspoken, it was a common belief that Greeks attacking Greeks would invoke the anger of spirits long deceased... that even God himself would throw lightning in a mock imitation of the God they once feared, who would reap justice after Greeks fought their own kin. John was unmotivated by the sight, it was nothing new to him. Same slaughter machine, different day. He started to talk calmly with his companion.
    "Basil, this is-"
    the general shot him a look of command. "General, that is, we don't have to force the lives of our men into this. Many of these warriors have fought in the battle of Smyrna and are deserving of rest. Can we not at least give it a week before asking the city to surrender ownership back to the Imperator?" Basil was unphased by the statement.
    "The Imperator wants us to show our enemies and allies alike that this is how we deal with traitors. Besides, your plea is hardly enough bark against the orders of our God-King. The Imperator said he even had a revelation about this one event."
    "Damn those self-inflicted visions," thought John to himself.
    "As we speak, the prince is amasing the largest army of Roman might to be seen in the Anatolia for one hundred years. Our road begins here and it starts on the morrow. Where it leads is anywhere within the imagination of the historian’s pen."

As the general and his compatriot looked out at the city and barracade of royal purple, a courier approached them swiftly.
    "General Basil! General!" the man yelled as he barreled down the long winding road.
    "Yes, what is it?" the general asked impatiently, giving way to the thought that his other commanders on the mainland were trying to disuade him from making this attempt on Rhodes. He could only imagine that Tobormeros would try and backstab him to and make Basil leave while he slipped in and claimed the island prize.
    "Sir, news from the capital! Here." The man on horse back came off his mount, provided a sealed letter to Basil, and then was on horseback again. He was out of sight in mere moments. The general opened the letter with haste, simply so he could cast it aside even quicker. However, he did no such thing.
    "What of it? Is the Sultan at the gates of Smyrna? Nicosia, perhaps?" John ventured, half-jokingly.
    "No.... this is...." the general spoke with a blank expression on his face. "This is a copy of a formal accord between the Imperium and two nations. “
    “Which ones,” asked John. Basil Regertos stared a moment, then remembered to breath.

“Alexios, has just made alliances with the Hungarians and Turks."

What?

...and then all hell broke loose.

Last edited by d. Agrippa; February 20, 2007 at 01:24 AM.

September 5, 1100

Anatolian Coast, City of Proussa

"This is impossible." The Prince was starring at royal parchment, holding it in his hand with a grip as strong as iron. "How long has this decision been passed without my prior knowledge?!" The male currier looked somewhat shaken, but he answered the prince swiftly.
    "I came straight from the capital, but it took some time crossing the Bosphorus." The prince took large strides towards the man and came face to face with him.
    "You have a royal document on your person and it takes you a WEEK to cross a few miles of river! Where have you been all this time! By the Virgin's sacred chastity, if I find you stopped over in Kalis to satisfy your loins I'll have you HANGED!" The man was pleading for his life, trying to persuade the Prince in to believing his story... for the Prince was close, but it was in Nicaea where he stopped to "relax".
    The chamber doors burst open. It was Gabriazzi. "Well, hello to my dear, beloved Prince! I come to break your fast! We're having sweet meats, bread and supple country girls! Come, come!"
    "Look at this." The Prince pushes cast the currier, breathing a sigh of relief at the intrusion of the behemoth known as Gabriazzi. The man who had entered was barely a captain, but was a personal friend of the Prince. Captain Gabriazzi met the Prince in Western Greece years ago, before the sacking of Durazzo. He was part of a royal entourage, but was merely a stable boy. A work-hand for the nobility in Syracuse. At that time he was a goofy lad and the Prince took to the young jester right away. The Prince asked his father for the favor of having an early birthday wish and so it was from then on Gabriazzi stayed by the Prince. He was now Sword-Bearer for the second mightiest man in Imperial Rome, and loved every minute of it.
    "What is it? Is it about me buying up all that meat in Halicarnassus? Prince, I assure you, I bought it with good intent at the time! The soldier beatings with ham slogs came about muuuch later!"
    "Shut up you son of a goat lover and read!" The larger-than-life captain decided to follow orders and read every word written on the parchment.
    "Well... I knew your father liked to play with fire but to actually wield control of it? This is unlike him. You and I both know this will cause a great deal of distress among the men, especially if we have no escape route through the south! Retaking Trebizond and Caesarea was suppose to be the moral booster we needed to drive enlistment numbers up! How can we possibly continue now?"
    "Quiet, I need to think. I still don't know if that letter is the truth or if this is some horrible game the politicians are playing in the capital while my father is away."
    "But it has the royal seal my lord, to produce one without royal acknowledgement is an action punishable by death."
    "That wouldn't stop those theives in the palace! They could buy their way out of any situation. Oh, just thinking about it makes me want to decimate all of the core of the depraved capital. The money those men hold in their estates could provide with an army for decades!"
    "Now, my Prince, we've talked about this. I thought we had a group discussion about you wanting to kill people left and right. I'd much rather you'd take up the drink than go gung-ho with your sword... at least that way I can finally beat you in a duel."
    "Hah! Even while I'm drunk you could never dream of holding your own with the likes of the Son of the Devine! Hahaha!" Both the men were now a little more cheerful, but the words on the royal document still loomed over them like the a wraith.
    Imperial Rome was now alligned to the only enemies Imperial Rome had left. The Prince had been assembling the largest Anatolian army ever seen since the days of Emporer John I in order to reconquer territory from the Turks. Trebizond was no matter, but with an alliance there was no way for the army to retake the lost lands and the plunder that could be found in cities' vaults and storages. The Prince needed to know what his father was planning... he needed to know if his father was finally preparing to do the unthinkable...

War with Papal Rome.
    Last edited by d. Agrippa; February 23, 2007 at 08:29 AM.

September 13, 1100

Royal Residence of Anazarbus
    Roman Ceasarea

The hall was full of fine linen, painted with all the colors of the mountains. Indigo tapestries mixed with floral designs along the passageway. Statues of ancient Roman and Greek governors stood brilliantly with the rays of the sun highlighting the chiseled features of their ancestral countenances. The whole palace was a shining testament to the unquestionable power Rome had over the Anatolia and its sister provinces… until 521 anno Hegirae.

Footsteps could be heard.

A man in leather vestiges and a dusty, partly undone turban was heading down the hall quickly. In his right hand he held a sealed leather pouch, in the other he carried the Imperial seal. He had just left a large room at the end of the hallway, the Room of the Consul.

“So, it has come to this?” spoke the a man of tall and noble stature. “I know not what you it is you seek to make of this, but rest assured the Fatamids will not blow in the favor of this wind. They are crafty and sly and they’ll use this against the factions in Palestine and Aleppo. We should have thought this through more thoroughly, father!”
    “Silence,” an elderly man in his early sixties raised his hand to the man across from him, “we have made more than enough preparations to deal with this situation. You should learn to trust my word more often and even more so to keep your mouth shut when you know not of what you speak.”
    “At first I thought you were only seeking a ceasefire.”
    “No, this is why you were never a war counselor, you could never read your enemies moves… not even my own,” replied the father. The son looked unsure.
    “What of the north? We know that the Romans are eyeing Trebizond.”
    “It is only natural, Trebizond is a natural right to the Romans, it has been in their hands for centuries,” assured the father.
    “You speak of nonsense! That is like saying this palace belongs to Rum and the city name was never known by anything else than Ceasarea!” The father shot the young man a look of contempt.
    “You know nothing of what I have planned. Let those fools come with what they have to besiege Trebizond! I am counting on it.” The young man was giving his father a quizzical look, for he was not sure what it was his father was trying to allude to. The two men left the chambers and started walking down the passageway. Halfway down the hall, a young diplomat approached the two.
    “My Lords, there is a Slav at the gate. He says you have been expecting him.” The older man of the three gave a wave to the young man and with that the father and son came to the gates of the royal residence. Bodyguards were found at either side of the men, large and stocky men from the hills of Armenia and deserts of Nubia. They were facing an entourage of Slavic horsemen, many of whom were clad in full war gear. One man in particular, a handsome fellow with a pointed helm, loosened himself and came down from his mount. The man was strewn with gold, from his grieves to his helm he was an image touched by Midas.
    “So, let us hope I have not kept you waiting, eh?” spoke the young man in rough Turkish.
    “You speak our language quite well for a mountain man? Where did you learn our tongue?” inquired the son. The warrior looked sharply at the young Turk.
    “From our prisoners, who else?” The two Turks and the man gave a polite laugh, pleasantries would be what would keep the two sides from tearing each other apart. The gold warrior smirked and looked at the two men, giving a slight bow as he said, “I, General Istvon, right hand to the King of Hungary, have come in respect to the accord between our two people. My Lord Jalal, I am pleased and humbled by your presence… may we make great strives to make this a successful diplomatic session.”

The Sultan Jalal looked upon Istvon with a look of promise. He turned to his son and spoke, ”Mustafa, prepare our finest emissary to begin a trip to Venice. What is said here in the next few days will determine who inherits Byzantium.”
    Last edited by d. Agrippa; February 27, 2007 at 03:36 PM.

To all those who have taken the time to read my story... some news.

First, I am sorry for the lack of updates. School life has kept me from continuing my writing, and I am currently unable to play MTW2 during the week. Once this week comes to a close, a lucious stream of posts will fill this thread.

:AARTISTRY:

After the next post, I will be changing how my story works. I will try and make my game experience as much like a running TV series as possible... with music. Before I post my next episode, I will ask that you please download/rip from CD a certain song. The point of this is to play the song when I have indicated in my post, ultimately enhancing the story and its overall appeal as a written storyboard. If there are any questions on this, please feel free to ask.
    Last edited by d. Agrippa; October 05, 2008 at 11:28 AM.

sounds promising hope it'll work out for you, I'm waiting patiently for it

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

What a novel idea!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast