Thread: Character Names Project Agenda / Screenshots / Monthly Announcements

deRougemont's Avatar Yeoman

Icon2 Character Names Project Agenda / Screenshots / Monthly Announcements

I'd like to send out a big THANK YOU to everyone who has contributed to this mod, and without whom it would never have been completed: Atterdag, Black Francis, chgo, finneys13, Giorgos, ivan_the_terrible, Johan217, Kingmaker, Manji, Odovacar, otark, Pavlik the Rus, Pelusa, Re Berengario I, SicilianVespers, tornnight, Vindahl, Osiris, Yuiis, Almogaver, Rhisiart_ap_Pedr, Ali_the_English, Averroës, Captain Black Adder, Serious Samurai

Preceeding people were in no order at all, if I missed your name out, it was just a mistake.

Monthly Announcements (see following posts...):
    Last edited by finneys13; July 07, 2007 at 04:24 PM.

Default Re: Character Names Project Agenda / Monthly Announcements

March 2007 Announcements

I. The Character Names Project Modification v 1.0 (Beta) is now available.

II. Beta testers are needed! We are specifically looking for characters with blank names. This tells us that a typo exists in our names lists and will need to be corrected. Please post all suggestions, comments and bug reports in the dedicated thread for this release.

III. This month we are working on finishing our first lists for the Byzantines, Milan, Denmark and Poland. Also, I will personally be redoing the names for the Popes, though the rest of the character names for the Papal States will remain unchanged (for the moment).

IV. In other news: Thanks to SicilianVespers, we discovered this month that the descr_names_lookup.txt file is not used by the game. Therefore we are no longer required to mod this file. My thanks to SicilianVespers for pointing this out!
    Last edited by deRougemont; April 11, 2007 at 09:46 PM.

Default Re: Character Names Project Agenda / Download Link / Monthly Announcements

April 2007 Announcements

I. A guide for modding character names lists in M2:TW has been completed. It focuses on using Excel to make the names quicker by utilizing formulas and shortcuts

II. Fixed an error where revised Danish names were not in the download. They are now included!

III. The Sicilian names have been revised a second time. At first we were using Black Francis' Sicilo-Norman names. Now we are using SicilianVespers' (who is Italian) Italicized Sicilo-Norman names. It is a genuinely good list reflecting the Norman rulers of Sicily, but with names that were gradually made more Italian after the first generation. Cheers to Black Francis and Sicilian Vespers for their great work on these names! These names are in the current download.

IV. Regnal Papal names have been added to the download.

V. New Turkish names have been added to the download courtesy of chgo.

VI. Next up... I'm currently working with Giorgos - Zahos (who is Greek) on a great (and very large!) Byzantine list. It should be ready soon.

VII. The Polish names list has been put on hold because I feel it is still inadequate. I'm currently looking for someone who is Polish to revise the list...
    Last edited by deRougemont; May 03, 2007 at 07:35 PM.

Default Re: Character Names Project Agenda & Monthly Announcements

May 2007 Announcements

I. The CNP Mod Add-on v 2.00 has been released for vanilla M2:TW 1.2 and LTC 2.2 and DLV (see above for download links). These downloads contain new character names list for 13 factions, fixes all starting character names, and gives surnames to all starting family members.

II. Now that I've released a pretty hefty add-on (which will satisfy the needs of the majority of folks), I'm taking a month or so off. I'll still address posts made here, but I won't be modding. I'll wait for a while before doing another release; waiting on more names lists and comments to come in. When I get a good bit, I'll start working again. Fear not however, the CNP mod will be updated again before you know it...
    Last edited by deRougemont; May 10, 2007 at 08:13 PM.

finneys13's Avatar *Insert Generic Title*
    Kosice, Budapest, Dublin, other random places

Default Re: Character Names Project Agenda / Screenshots / Monthly Announcements

Hello everybody,

As you may know, I have taken over this show on a temporary basis, and I'm actively looking for a long-term successor.

But while I'm in charge, I plan to add Milan, Poland and Byzantium as soon as possible to CNP, as their namelists seem to be completed. And while doing that, hopefully I can fix Portugal as well.

Hopefully Broken Crescent can 'lend' us their Egyptian names, and even maybe Timurid and Mongol names. If they can't do the Timurid names for us, I can try them myself, as I have a book on Tamerlane, the loveable rogue.

So unless somebody wants to take on the Aztec names, that seems to be everything in vanilla bar the Moorish names, can they be finished by the knowledgeable people of them?

So in summary, the following has to be done:

Fix and/or modify namelist slightly

Portugal
    England

Completed, to be added to CNP

Milan
    Poland
    Byzantium

Maybe having access to Broken Crescent's lists if they are so kind

Egypt
    Mongols?
    Timurids?

Not Completed - to be done

Moors
    Timurids?
    Mongols?
    Aztecs????????

Ideally this project can be effectively completed before I lose access to M2TW.

Edit:

Version 3.00 has been released, only the Aztecs, Mongols and Timurids have to done in vanilla, PM me if anybody is interested.

In the next few days, I hope to open threads for the Kingdoms factions, so that we can hopefully have all the namelists for them ready for the Expansion release.

Default Re: Character Names Project Agenda / Screenshots / Monthly Announcements

Threads for the Kingdom factions have been opened, contribute if you can.

If anybody wants to do the Native American factions, PM me.

So it seems to be July now, a little update then.

The next release of CNP will be surpriserling called CNP 4.0. Hopefully in it, you will see the following:

Vanilla

Improved Portuguese namelist
    New Mongol, Timurid and Aztec namelists
    Anything else that turns up

Kingdoms

Nice, shiny, new namelists for all non-Native American factions
    Accurate titles for king and heir, as in CNP 3.0

As you can imagine, CNP 4.0 will not be released until Kingdoms is released, and then a few days extra.

I won't have access to M2TW for another 6 weeks at least, so if any half-decent modder is going to purchase Kingdoms on release day and wants to do the hard-work modding the names into the game, just PM me. Should take no more than an afternoon.

So the files for the 4 CNP files are all out now. Over the next while I will create hopefully the final version of CNP, which will include:

New Aztec names in Vanilla
    Better Spanish names in the Americas campaign
    Expanded family trees for some factions in Vanilla, previous generations, etc. - Perhaps