Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Historical events, timelines

Default Re: Help Wanted

Here are a few: (sorry if you didn't want anyone to post here.)

12th Century (Maybe a random event during the 12th century? I don't know exactly what it'd do... Maybe allow the building of large catherdrals? Gothic Architecture begins in France
    1170, Thomas Becket is murdered. (Don't know what you can do with that one)
    c.1119, Foundation of the Knights Templar (Is this one in already? Maybe it allows the training of Templar Knights?)
    1271 Journey of Marco Polo? (Here you could do something trade related?)
    13th Century: First European universities founded. (Don't know what to do with that)
    1299: Foundation of Ottoman Empire. (I don't know if a name change is possible, and I don't know if that is already there)
    1378: Great Schism of the West (Maybe a seed for some Europeon wars?)
    1454-66: After defeating the Teutonic Knights in the Thirteen Years' War, Poland annexes Royal Prussia. (End of Teutonic Knights?)
    1478: Muscovy conquers Novgorod. (Name change?)
    1503: Leonardo da Vinci begins painting the Mona Lisa and completes it three or four years later. (Is that already in it?)
    1517: The Protestant Reformation begins when Martin Luther posts his 95 Theses in Saxony. (Again, don't know what to do with that)

I hope that helped!

Default Historical events, timelines

As per Tornnights requestr for help with timelines and events in this thread for The Long Road. Hissing Fauna posted a starting list in that thread. I thought I'd get a topic started for everyone to contribute.

1085 - Domesday Book (+good tax trait to English ruler?)

1086 Magnetic compass (possible to script increase in movement points?)

1098 Cistercian Order founded (+piety in France, or whomever owns Dijon?)

1118 Templars founded

1140 Hospitallers founded

1158 Hanseatic League founded (+income traits to Danish, Novgorod, Poland and HRE? Or script increase to merchant skills for these?)

1162 Order of Calatrava founded

1170 Windmills

1175 Order of Santiago recognized (not sure of foundation date)

1189 Paper mill in Europe

1190 Teutonic Knights founded

1202 Fibonacci publishes Liber abbaci introducing Arabic numerals and algebra to Europe

1215 Magna Carta

1216 Dominican Order recognized by Pope (+piety in Western Europe factions?)

1217 Michael Scot translates AverroŽs commentaries on Aristotle into Latin (Was member of Frederick II court. Some + to a trait for HRE?)

1223 Franciscan Order recognized by Pope

1231 beginning of the main Inquisition by Pope Gregory IX under the resposibility of the Dominicans (+piety?)

1250 Start of the "Little Ice Age" with growth of Atlantic pack ice and subsequent climate events in Europe (decrease in farming throughout mostof Northern Europe, many famines)

1266 Hugh and Theodoric Borgogoni advocate use of anaesthetics and disinfectants in surgical procedures

1267 Roger Bacon proposes ideas for educational reform ("Schoolmen" event in MTW 1?)

1285 Spectacles invented for far-sightedness (possibly by Alessandro della Spina)

1295 Marco Polo publishes tales of his travels (+trade for Milan and Venice?)

1300 Hourglass invented

1307 Templars outlawed (from this point on, shouldn't be allowed to build Templar Guilds or Templars)

1328 William of Ockham publishes Summa Logicae and introduces the beginnings of scientific method via "Ockham's Razor"

1347 The Black Death
    Last edited by AverroŽs; February 17, 2007 at 10:00 PM.

Default Re: Historical events, timelines

I just thought I'd post some of the ones in the former thread (that you haven't already mentioned):

12th Century Gothic Architecture begins in France
    1170, Thomas Becket is murdered
    13th Century: First European universities founded.
    1299: Foundation of Ottoman Empire
    1378: Great Schism of the West
    1454-66: Teutonic Knights defeated
    1478: Muscovy conquers Novgorod. (Name change?)
    1503: Leonardo da Vinci begins painting the Mona Lisa and completes it three or four years later.
    1517: The Protestant Reformation begins when Martin Luther posts his 95 Theses in Saxony.

Looks good, Hissing Fauna. Tornnight can pick and choose the ones he wants to add with an eye to how they can be implemented.

I'm a bit conflicted regarding the date of the Templar ban. Do you have any thoughts? The initial papal bull authorizing the arrest and confiscation in France was 1307, but they weren't officially disbanded altogether until 1312 by papal bull.

Going with the official disbandment makes more sense in my opinion. At that point they were signifigantly weaker than they used to be. When the Pope made the final edict in 1312, there was no longer any hope of the Templar surviving.

Lopus's Avatar Biarchus
    SJ, MM, Republic of the Banana (Philippines)

tornnight, regarding historical events, some things are a result of actions from outside the scope of the area of the game (i.e. volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, storms, floods, plague, etc. etc.) and should happen regardless, on the other hand, certain things (e.g. War of the Roses, Hundred Years War, etc. etc.) may or may not happen depending on the events occurring in the game. How will you segregate these?

tornnight's Avatar Forum Bot

I wasn't sure about that either.

We can go the route of generic events (Technological discoveries, rebellions, etc) that don't depend on what is actually happenning in-game.

The other option is to include events from actual history which would make it somewhat like a history lesson.

Maybe both? True historical events would be described as (Historical Event) or something. Generic ones would be, well generic.

I'm still hoping some history nut out there will take the reigns of this mini-project.
    "The first casualty when war comes, is truth." - Hiram Johnson
    Developer of The Long Road Modification

History nut right here! I'd be glad to help more; by Generic, do you mean things that actual happen in that particular game or something? I could help with the true historical events.

By generic I mean things that would likely have happened even if the history of the factions changed. Volcanic eruptions, Earthquakes, Plagues, Technological Discoveries, possibly even some generic Papal Events since we can pretty much assume they will be around.

While you are looking, if you find some art that goes with a particular event keep it in mind. It could be used in the Event Popup. It's definately not necessary though.

The relevent files to look at are,
    The_Long_Road_Beta\data\text\historic_events.txt
    The_Long_Road_Beta\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign\descr_events.txt

I'll start compiling a list. Do you want me to post it here or send it to you?

Feel free to post it all here.

Here are some events covering the first 40 years of the game.

1086: Domesday Book Completed
    The Domesday Book is a record of a survey commisioned by William the Conqueror so as to make the administartion of his newly conquered nation easier. The record allowed the king to better tax his kingdom. The book was written in Latin and took its name in the 12th century from the Middle English spelling of Doomsday, refering to the the Biblical Last Judgement.

1088: University of Bologna founded
    The oldest operating university was founded in Bologna late in the 11th century. Throughout its long history, the university would be a center of learning, and the home to many great minds such as Cecco d’Ascoli, Dante Alighieri and Coluccio Salutati.

1089: Palmyra destroyed in earthquake!
    The ancient city of Palmyra located north east of Damascus, long in ruin, has finally been destroyed by a massive earthquake in 1089.

1090: First Troubadours appear in Provence
    A Troubadour was a songwriter and performer during the middle ages. The tradition first became popular in the 11th century. The ealriest surving material was written by William IX, Duke of Aquitaine (1071 - 1127)

1100: Checkers invented
    Cherckers or Draughts is believed to have first appeared in 1100 AD. Today, there are many variants of this old game.

1104: Volcano in Iceland
    The far off Norse colonies in Iceland have been ravaged by the eruption of Mt. Hekla.

1120: System of Measurements developed
    Welcher of Malvern developed a system of measurement for earth in 1120. The System used degrees, minutes and seconds of latitude and longitude.
    Last edited by Hissing Fauna; February 23, 2007 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Fixed speeliing error

These are great!

Default Re: <<< Help Wanted >>>

Sorry, Torn, I've been a bit busy. I'll try go get most of it done this coming weekend.

Sorry to double post, but here are the next 40 years. I'll do 1160-1200 tomorrow.

1124: Arnald becomes first Bishop of Greenland
    Despite the religious competion of Islam, Christianity still spreads throughout the world, even into the most barren and inhospitible places of the world.

1134: Massive storm shakes the Earth!
    A large storm rattled the north sea, forming the Zeeland archipelgo in the Netherlands.

1138: Historia Regum Britanniae
    Geoffrey of Monmouth has completed his account of England’s history. Though most of the events in the book are ahistorical, Historia Regum Britanniae is considered the first version of the story of King Lear. It also introuduced the legend of King Arthor to non-Welsh speakers. The book is mostly signifigant as a piece of medieval literature.

1139: Second Council of Lateran

With the death of Antipope Anacletus II earlier this year, has ruled that no crossbow may be used in wars between christians. This is one of the first international laws against brutality. The Council also began celibacy in the Catholic Church.

1143: Qur’an translated into Latin

Robert of Ketton, an English theologist, astronomer, Arabist, and traveller has, while living in Spain, translated the Qur’an into Latin. Suprisngly, this was done with support from the Church, and the French Abbot Peter the Venerable. This first translation would remain a standard unil the sixteenth century.

Lopus's Avatar Biarchus

@Hissing Fauna: would you happen to know the rough date as to when longbows and crossbows were first used in the medieval period?

The Welsh used them early on, and after they were conquered, they were adopted into the English Army. Wales was conquered in 1282 I think, so I guess that would work.

Crossbows were used in the entire period of our game. The Normans had them at Hastings in 1066, and Anna Comnena describes Norman Crossbows in 1096.

In 1129, the 2nd Lateran Council forbid their use by Christians against other Christians. Not that anyone really listened to that ruling.

Lopus's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Hissing Fauna View Post
    The Welsh used them early on, and after they were conquered, they were adopted into the English Army. Wales was conquered in 1282 I think, so I guess that would work.
    Any idea what year (roughly) the Welsh began using them?

Quote Originally Posted by AverroŽs View Post
    Crossbows were used in the entire period of our game. The Normans had them at Hastings in 1066, and Anna Comnena describes Norman Crossbows in 1096.

In 1129, the 2nd Lateran Council forbid their use by Christians against other Christians. Not that anyone really listened to that ruling.
    Thanks for the update AverroŽs, you kid you.

I don't know actually. Sorry!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast