Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Campaign map problem?

Manuel Komnenos's Avatar Senator

Icon4 Campaign map problem?

First sorry on my english.
    I don't know is this a bug. I have AD o.93 beta, and my performance on campaign map is horrible. I'm playing battles on highest details, but on campaign map units are moving slow, and when I sign alliance, I must wait at least 10 sec for confirmation. And when I end turn, i must wait more than a minute to next turn, sometimes 2. In vanilla, max for waiting was 30 - 40 sec.
    It's possible to speed up the process, maybe only movements of units.

Because this is great mod, at the moment the best; and I'm in general interested in medieval age, especialy Byzantine empire.

My specs are
    p4 3.2 ghz
    nvidia 7800 gtx
    1gb ram

Default Re: Campaign map problem?

With the map being so much bigger, you're bound to have more agents, units, stacks, rebels, etc than per usual..therefore since the map is twice as big it's only logical that a turn change should be twice as long. As the game progresses you should see a slight decline in waiting time for the next turn because a lot of factions have conquered nearby rebels and therefore reduced the number of army stacks. Note that all rebel settlements have one stack inside the garrison and one army stack patrolling the province.

Thanks, but it's possible to increase speed in some way; what's your experience.

Nothing I could do really. have a Dual Core 3.2 Ghz, 2 GB SDRAM, 256 RAM Video Card and I still lag when I change turns and I close deals. In any case, it's a mod, therefore its bound to be rough around the edges. I really do think, however, that the gameplay makes the waiting worthwhile.

Just a small precisation: the map is about 4 times greater than original

It's possible to speed the process in one of your next versions?
    Last edited by Manuel Komnenos; February 18, 2007 at 06:52 PM.

(Excuse my poor english)

After a dozen hours with this superb mod , i have the same problem like Manuel. The time between two turns is very long. Like others, i have the time to prepare a tea and watch TV before i can play again.
    I understand that all the script is running behind each act of the computer, but even if a campaign is a pleasure i think i will not continue it after 1150.
    I dont know if you can do something about it.
    But anyway, your mod is the most pleasant i've seen for the moment .
    Good luck for the following (Anno Domini v17.3 ?).

This is what I usually do with almost all Paradox games (EU2, CK, HoI, etc).

It's the nature of this kind of games when you have a lot of events running in the background, more complex diplomatic behaviours, more characters, etc.

To this you should add that MTW2 scripting is far from being optimized for fast execution.

Please, for all of us that ''worship'' your mod, try to repair that problem. I hope that's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel Komnenos View Post
    Please, for all of us that ''worship'' your mod, try to repair that problem. I hope that's possible.
    Thanks for the worshipping but I need some ritual human sacrifice...

Seriously, the main problem is the scripting language, I really hope CA will give us in future something more flexible and optimized.

For example some people are rightly ask more randomization for rebel spawnings. The problem is, and you can see it by yourself opening the script file, that this would mean writing different spawns one by one for every frigging province and every new spawn linked to a different condition.

I can predict that this alone could have about a 20-30 secs hit on AI rebel turns.

So the choice is between having a better gameplay but long waiting times or a faster gameplay but with just some ahestetic variations of the gameplay.

I still prefer to wait some time but enjoying a realistic gameplay than playing a Risk-like game with knights instead than tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Re Berengario I View Post
    Thanks for the worshipping but I need some ritual human sacrifice...

Seriously, the main problem is the scripting language, I really hope CA will give us in future something more flexible and optimized.

For example some people are rightly ask more randomization for rebel spawnings. The problem is, and you can see it by yourself opening the script file, that this would mean writing different spawns one by one for every frigging province and every new spawn linked to a different condition.

I can predict that this alone could have about a 20-30 secs hit on AI rebel turns.

So the choice is between having a better gameplay but long waiting times or a faster gameplay but with just some ahestetic variations of the gameplay.

I still prefer to wait some time but enjoying a realistic gameplay than playing a Risk-like game with knights instead than tanks.

Maybe human sacrifice will help. :hmmm:
    And for speeding the process, maybe you can release two versions- one deluxe for realism gamers and one lite for gamers like me who love this mod, but it's to long for us. You can reduce rebels army size, some minor events, but at the end this lite version will be much better than vanilla, and much playable.

Well, once I'll finish the 1.0 version I'll think about it. Take in count that AD is still in a beta stage and hopefully some things could find a solution with upcoming CA patches (many people are asking for more "lively" rebels for example).

Another fact that could impact for the better or the worse will be putting into new factions.

I know that it must be something to speed the whole process. If I remeber correctly there was one RTW mod with same problem, but I forgot the mod name.
    And one more question, when will be final version released(approx.)

Apparently no final version, just keep adding cool stuff and fixing any bugs that come up. Once Re Ber. is happy with something he's likely to leave it there and just keep tweaking, balancing, etc. in order to make game play more challenging.

Well... once I'll finish new roster, retexturing of all the units and new building trees... it'll be 1.0

is there something wrong with path finding in the new version?
    in .92 the units moved rather quickly but in .93 they studder like its having trouble with pathfinding.

i should add that i am refering to the campain map not the battle screen

♔ST0MPA♔'s Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel Komnenos View Post
    I know that it must be something to speed the whole process. If I remeber correctly there was one RTW mod with same problem, but I forgot the mod name.
    And one more question, when will be final version released(approx.)

I think the mod you are refering to is Europa Barbarorum

B.t.w. You say you have 1 minute wait between turns. WOW, you lucky devil, I have to wait 7 minutes, beleive me I timed it. So in realty your running 7 times faster than me, surely that must make you feel better. I also have 3.2, 2gig of ram and 256mb vid card.
    "Yeah tho I walk through the valley of the shadow of death; I shall fear no evil... for I'm the meanest sonofa in the valley."

In beggining was more than 1 min, but now I'm in year 1100 and some turns make me mad - yesterday i was waiting for one turn 7,5 min.

For EB, yes I think that that is the mod name. They also have same problems like you Re Berengario, so you can ask them, maybe they'll help you.
    Last edited by Manuel Komnenos; February 20, 2007 at 07:08 AM.

Yep, in EB AI turns were much longer than Vanilla, but it still remains one of the best RTW mods around.

The problem is what I stated before, until CA won't optimize its scripting language the only choice is to cut features.

Takes me under 1 minute, but close. Vanilla version takes about, well, I dunno...20 secs tops? Quite fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast