Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: AD: Gameplay Discussion Thread

Default Re: AD: Gameplay Discussion Thread

Thanks for your post!

Quote Originally Posted by Yarkis View Post
    I had some random crashes during the AI only test games but could always recover the game from the autosaves, so no showstoppers so far.
    I also noticed that in AI only mode (aka hotseat mode) there are a lot of crashes that I didn't suffer at all in normal mode. I think hotseat mode is still pretty buggy, and my supposition is also confimed by CA including fixes for it in the upcoming patch.

Are you sure the script is the only culprit? There are a lot of units in the game from early on, so it may be that pathfinding calculations are a source for the slowdown too. Especially the larger empires and the rebels need a lot of time.
    You got the point. Larger map and higher movement rates means a lot more calculations by the CPU, but I played with it a lot and I can affirm that allowing higher movement rates helps the AI in an incredible way to elaborate smart moves, there's really no doubts about it (it was the same in RTW btw).

I could lower the armies around at start but you probably will notice that the campaign will be back to an arcade setting which is really unappealling.
    For sure once 1.2 patch will be out I'll try to balance the upkeep cost for the AI too to eliminate the creation of huge and irrealistic stacks around, as I know it's a problem.

I also almost finished to expand the starting family trees for all the factions to both make also dinasties more realistic and to allow more named character around, a problem for the AI faction usually. If this modification will work as intended I could happily lower the other troops (the upkeep costs of the family members alone will already mean a lot less money for the AI factions to spend on peasant troops).

All in all I think this mod is for people who prefer to "suffer" a bit more performance wise but enjoys more to play in a historical realistic setting and not in a medieval hollywodesque B-Movie.

I would love to see a 1 turn/1 year version of the mod since 900 turns is too much for me and the pace of the game would be more historical too. But I guess you are not a fan of that because of the character aging problem and I will have to do such changes for myself...
    I'm not a fan of it for that reason precisely.

Do you intend using Point Blanks Real Combat mod? His work seems reasonable to me and it would save you much time developing your own edu files.

You already announced an era system for recruiting which is a good idea. I never understood why the size of cities/castle should be related to the kind of unit you can recruit.
    Point Blank system was very logic but unfortunately it seems CA wasn't .
    So the armor upgrades are still a bit of mistery but we all hope that with the upcoming patch with the fixing of the shield bug and others we could have a definitive word about what those stats really mean.

I also can confirm the intention that units will be recruitable by era, by type of settlement (city or castle), by some specific "buildings" and some also by "zone" (just like the mercenaries). The size of the settlements will just influence how many recruitment slots will be at disposal (which is logic).

It'll be a huge work so it would be done probably in stages.
    Last edited by Re Berengario I; March 12, 2007 at 12:10 PM.

A plantagenet crusade fleet! Well, I never saw it happen in any mod using a large map (btw the plantagenet fleet entered mediterranean sea through Gibraltar):

I just wrote expanded family trees for all the factions and the result is impressive. Factions are more stable, the army composition is better because the AI has less money to spend on peasant troops and the AI behaviour is a lot more reactive without being eagerly aggressive.

Btw: the crusade got 3 dinasties in the very first turns. And the AI also is using allegiances in a very smart way (look how the Byzs and the Fatymids allied together to catch the Seljuks in the middle but the Fatymids didn't enter war against the muslim brothers though, and teh Capets with the Dunkeld too! Exactly like it was in history )

I'm playing Hungary and I'm having one of the best campaign, still I have to decide if I have to tune down the number of the trade resources available. Tell me your advice about it.
    Last edited by Re Berengario I; March 12, 2007 at 07:36 PM.

I think, there arent much resources. Trade is good aspect of the game.

@Re Berengario I

If you need some more testing of your new setups just post the relevant files and I will let my PC run some AI only games to evaluate the long term development of the factions.

Thanks, I wanna complete some basic redesign of units and building before (as soon as the new patch will com out).

The only problem with AI campaign is that till now they were a bit buggy (strange CTDs which don't happen nornally) and not a lot reliable as a human player really makes a huge difference in a campaign, if only for allegiances.

o god.. It took me like 3 hours to get through like a whooping 10 turns Mod is excellent in all but.. toooo long to wait for me sorry!

I'm redesigning some scripts to quicken the gameplay but miracles won't happen though.

There are a lot of tricks to make campaign run fasters: disabling shadows, don't follow AI characters, etc...

On my PC, which isn't top notch, turns don't take more than 2-3 mins.

hi! i just d-loaded the mod today and it seems really good. however, i wanted to change the names of many units. i did it with other mods but now i cant. is it possible? was it disabled in the modding process? other then that the mods seems really good.

Quote Originally Posted by arfrisco View Post
    hi! i just d-loaded the mod today and it seems really good. however, i wanted to change the names of many units. i did it with other mods but now i cant. is it possible? was it disabled in the modding process? other then that the mods seems really good.
    You just need to edit export_units.txt to suit your tastes.

its not in the text files. i dont know where else to look.

its not in the text files. i dont know where else to look.
    Because it hasn't been modified in 0.93 still. Use a vanilla one.

im looking in the mtwII files where should i look then?

im looking in the mtwII files where should i look then?
    You told me that you already modified the file in other occasions, I thought you know where to look.

export_units.txt is, in strings.bin format, in the packed files together with all the other files.

Do you know the unpacking procedure?

If not I think there should be somewhere in the modding forum here or at the Org a post with attached the data and txt files of MTW2, and anyway there should be plenty of threads around that explain the unpacking procedure.

Then to convert the file from its native strings.bin format to the easier to modify txt format you need to use the stringsbin converter by Alpaca (there should be a thread about it in the modding forum).

Once modified the txt file you have to cross the fingers and hope MTW2 will recompile the stringsbin file correctly and you're done!

Btw, welcome to the marvellous world of MTW2 modding!

thanks for the help. i used alpacas thing but it didnt convert the unit text files. however, it did convert others. i guess i will just ignore it and because AD is so good that i ignore units names and such.

Echbart's Avatar Decanus

I have just played few years with Royal house of Scotland.

I have just one question - do you use recruiting system, similar to AoR in RTR?

Becuase i have conquered two settlements in Ireland and there i can recruit highland rabble unit ( i hope i wrote it right ) ???

Recruitment system in 0.93 is still the vanilla one.

It will change a lot in the upcoming versions.

Recruitment system in 0.93 is still the vanilla one.

It will change a lot in the upcoming versions.

I for one dont care for the long turn times. if you have ever played civiv total realism with atleast 1 gig ram and 3.4 cpu then the pace of your mod is FAST, super FAST.

Downloaded your mod a few days ago, i think it is awesome. this mod and that 'Mediaeval Auctoriso' are the only 2 that have caught my eye (other then some of the smaller tweaking mods).

Here are my only concerns:

1. Would be nice if the 'rebel' armies were different form spawn to spawn instead of them all having exactly 3 spearmen, 4 archers 1 general or whatever it is. and it is the same EVERY time for me. otherwise i like the respawn rate, challenging!

2. Increase TRADE, and trade networks. which also means balancing it more with allies, enemies of allies, reputation with allies and trading with there enemies ect etc. Maybe the option to trade to specific ports.and having to properly DEFEND those trade routes???

3. Increase penalty for breaking alliances. Decrease penalty for waging war on someone that started it!

4. Anyway you can expand the map to include ALL of north america and all of ASIA (JAPAN!!!), and therefore increase the time span ...1780??? 1400 turns... maybe by release...say.,.. 3.0 hehe ofcourse, im not really expecting it, but maybe...just maybe...lol

5. thought id leave this to last... is it possible to make a resource worht more in one position on the map to another?, could force factions to war over more valuable resources. i'e the SAME resource.

Quote Originally Posted by Re Berengario I View Post
    On my PC, which isn't top notch, turns don't take more than 2-3 mins.
    There must be something very wrong with my computer then, because AI turns take from 7 to 10 minutes to complete. O_o
    Not that it's much of an issue. It lets me get on with Uni work and such.

Where did all my money go?

I am playing as the HRE and its only turn 5 yet I am already in debt for 3000, however when I check my finance scroll it says I am 10,000 in profit. When I hit end turn my funds suddenly dropped by 12000 but by the time I am back to my turn it has recovered to -3000.

Is this because of a script for armies in the field that costs me money? and can anyone give me some advice on how to build my economy

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast