Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: AD: Gameplay Discussion Thread

Kaosbouncer's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: AD: Gameplay Discussion Thread

well, now that i've got 0.93 to work, i see what you mean. for the first time ever in my TW career (RTW included,) i am being seriously challenged. and that's a good thing

i thought i would be leading Hauteville to glory as the rulers of a Mediterranean empire. But here I am in 1115 and i've only taken three provinces (Malta, Ragusa and Ochrida.) I had Tarabulus, but after fighting off six or seven rebel amirs, i decided to abandon my African holdings.

i've built a cozy little fort right in the center of my southern Italian holdings between Salerno and Bari, where I house the standing army i need to fight off these noble rebellions. i haven't gotten too many rebel nobles in Sicily proper, and none whatsoever in Malta or Ragusa, but i almost had a revolt in Ragusa due to a nasty hateful heretic named Gabriel . but he's no more.

i also have a serious money problem. normally, i only have financial difficulties early on when playing as smaller factions (ehem Scotland) but once i get going i become very stable economically, and by the 11th century i'm the bill gates of the medieval world. not so with this mod. i find myself having to really consider how to spend whatever spare cash i have. Accepting a merchants guild in Naples proved to be disasterous as this allowed a rebel noble to wrench Bari from me. it wasn't a few turns till i got it back.

i've said this before, but I LOVE THIS MOD!!

To add to the chorus - I am REALLY Enjoying this mod!

Palying as the Danes, I was attacked (very) early by HRE. Two heroic victories vs. the faction leader and faction heir later, the HRE is no more! Lots of lesser faction regions smack dab in the middel of Europe... its a total free for all!

Couple of things though-

The other factions don't seem to go after the new rebel regions very much - in fact I think that France (I forget the house name) is the only one who has gone after any teritory (they took only one)... now granted it's only been about 15-20 years, but I have been taking my time building up and moving my armies slowly, expecting each new region to be taken by the time I get to it and still have met no real resistance (I am playing on hard/very hard BTW)

Also.. I noticed that pretty much nothing stops a cav charge. All the battles I have had with rebels were won by a single cav charge - even vs spearmen! Do the cav lose thier utter dominace as the games goes on and the armor and techs advance? I would like the battles to get a bit more difficult - charging horses to heroic victorys EVERY time is getting a bit predictable.

I have been enjoying the upkeep for having an army in the field. It really makes you think before you field an army! If your army is in a fort, does it still cost the same as being in the field?

Thanks!

Hey guys,

I just have to tell you that you make me soooooooo happy.

For the first time now I really really enjoy playing M2TW.
    It is just perfect, even I have just started my first campaign, I swear this is the best mod available.
    I hope you guys will mod-on and provide us with more breath-taking medieval feeling. It's astounding how good this game can be.

A deep bow to you.
    I love your mod and it will provide me at least half a year of pure fun.
    And on the other hand, my wife will really hate you - but thats OK!

CtrlAltDe1337's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Kaosbouncer View Post
    i dunno about you, but in most of my campaigns, especially England, i found it hard NOT to expand. I had so much money pouring into my treasury that it was not a problem to fight the rebels.
    Same here, I let my rep drop to 'very untrustworthy' on accident and even with fighting all the rebels I still have nearly 200k in the bank. If you're having trouble with money get some merchants on +1000 income resources and the cash will flow in.

I'm still planning to add a lot of new things (read the thread about new releseas), it's just a moment of research (and rest) waiting for the CA patch.

♔ST0MPA♔'s Avatar Ordinarius

Thought about increasing the cost of units ? say x3.

artillary should be very expensive also, say 10000 for grande bombard.

ive been playing a little with an adjusted edu at 3x unit costs. simply to make it more a challenge in the early part. so you need to make sure you have few casualties during each battle. things like using lots of peasants to fix the enemy lines while your regular troops flank and cavelry chase routing troops.

as your economy begins to grow later on it all balances out. actually incourages you more to build a thriving economy and well managed battles.
    "Yeah tho I walk through the valley of the shadow of death; I shall fear no evil... for I'm the meanest sonofa in the valley."

It's not a bad idea, surely some kind of units (read knights and artillery) will be A LOT MORE expensive.

There will also be a different building tree to differentiate in a wider way each province and culture.

Manuel Komnenos's Avatar Senator

Re Berengario, it's normal to have rebel army every turn in one or two of the provinces(even if that province has little green smile)? Or it's a bug.

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel Komnenos View Post
    Re Berengario, it's normal to have rebel army every turn in one or two of the provinces(even if that province has little green smile)? Or it's a bug.
    It's normal if you're a despicable ruler.

Despicable?

Despicable?
    Despicable ruler = Bad reputation = over aggresive, authoritarian, greedy ruler

As I already said there's a base 2% chance per turn for each province to generate a rebel army, the chance raises if you have bad reputation and/or the province is unhappy.

So if it's not a thing it should be the other (probably both), I don't believe in bad luck.
    Last edited by Re Berengario I; February 23, 2007 at 12:34 PM.

This mod is the best! Really a challenge. Love it!

I know what's despicable.:hmmm: Here is my situation; I played as a Byzantine Empire, in second turn I have reached trade agreement, map information and achieved Smyrna in the process. In year 1087 Selcuklar attacked me, I have beaten them, and secure Ikonion and Sinope, and maked peace agreement. I have conquered also few rebel provinces. I have very untrushworty rep., and rebelions break out every damn turn.
    I'm mad. How can I achieve high rep. I'm allied with Salis-Hoh, Arpad, Capet, Hauteville, Kiev and Piast dynasties.

I have very untrushworty rep
    I would rebel against a very untrustworthy ruler

I won't copy here the readme included with the mod as it is very long. There you can find a long list of things that you can do to bring up your reputation.

Quick hints:
    stop militaristic expansion, keep your empire at peace and with medium taxes, accept the events that can help you raise your reputation (it's written in their explanation texts) and try to defeat the rebels in the meanwhile.

It's hard to be the Basileus, didn't you know?

Libertus

Does the mod change or make some good changes in the AI and diplomacy?

Quote Originally Posted by medvednic View Post
    Does the mod change or make some good changes in the AI and diplomacy?
    It's completely different than Vanilla which is a slaughter feast.

In AD your relations with others are based on your global reputation as well as the normal faction-to-faction reputation.

Libertus

Thanks, will give it a try after completing my current LTC campaign.

CtrlAltDe1337's Avatar Praepositus

While we're on the topic of diplomacy, does allying with other nations of another religion bear harmful consequences? Like a constant or 1 time reputation drop?

I found a 100% reproduceable error in the game(at least on my system).
    It occurs if you autosolve a battle and quickload on the result-screen.
    The funny thing is, that it damages not only the quick-save, it also damages the auto-save. The result will be a black screen. It occured playing Spain, England and HRE.

I also discovered painted routes, which remained on the map even if you moved the e.g. charakter.

The last and least little "bug" I found was a very noisy "grilling" around the northern italian regions.

This mod is great and soooooo balanced. Great work!!!
    Please keep on modding..........

Quote Originally Posted by Takeda Shingen View Post
    I found a 100% reproduceable error in the game(at least on my system).
    It occurs if you autosolve a battle and quickload on the result-screen.
    The funny thing is, that it damages not only the quick-save, it also damages the auto-save. The result will be a black screen. It occured playing Spain, England and HRE.
    It smells like a game bug as there's very little of modified there respect to Vanilla. I never used quicksave just because I always feared that sort of things (if it's quick but safe why don't they call it "save" like the other one?)

Quote Originally Posted by Takeda Shingen View Post
    The last and least little "bug" I found was a very noisy "grilling" around the northern italian regions.
    Grilling?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast