Thread: Big map?

Default Big map?

I havn't installed this mod yet but it looks very good. I was wondering if the big map mod works with this one? I am also wondering if the game setup is 2 year per turn and has the vanilla build rate. I know I should install it and see for my self but I won't have time until tommorow. Thank you.

Default Re: Big map?

It is 2 years per turn with the vanilla build rate.

@Thorwald

Theoretically, you can incorporate the BigMap into my mod. I once tested it with the BigMap and it worked pretty fine. If you really want to do that, you can ask me here how to do it...
    regarding your second question:
    The normal version of my mod has 2 years per turn. In the new 2.2 update I have also added 2 optional files for a long campaign with 1 year per turn.
    You can read on the first page how to activate them.

Winner of 'Favorite M2TW Mod' and 'Favorite M2TW Modder' Award 2007 & 2008

I would love to know how to incorporate big map into your mod.

Well, here's a short guide how to add the BigMap mod to Stainless Steel:

1. Install Stainless Steel 2.2 patch

2. Install the BigMap normally in order to have access to the single files.

3. Optional but recommend: Copy the Stainless Steel money script at the bottom of the campaign_script.txt (Stainless_Steel\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign) and paste it to BigMap's campaign_script.txt

4. Replace the following files or folders from the BigMap with the files or folders from Stainless Steel:

- imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt (BigMap/data/text)
    - imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt.strings.bin (BigMap/data/text)
    - descr_character.txt for higher movement rates (BigMap/data)
    - descr_settlement_mechanics.xml (BigMap/data)
    - The whole BigMap\data\world\maps folder

5. Rename the export_descr_buildingsONEYEARPERTURN.txt (Stainless_Steel\data) to export_descr_buildings.txt (backup or delete the original file before) in order to have increased construction times and costs.

6. In order to have the Ultimate AI mod installed correctly, change the following ai labels in the descr_strat.txt:

- for the Aztecs: ai_label default to ai_label aztecs
    - for the Mongols/Timurids: ai_label default to ai_label mongols
    - for Egypt/Turks/Moors: ai_label default to ai_label islam

Done
    Last edited by King Kong; February 21, 2007 at 05:47 AM.

Hey, I installed your mod yesterday, and I must say it's awesome! Then I stumbled over this thread and tried to install the Big Map. I followed your instructions...but I did not get the higher movement rates.

Appareantly I could not find the descr_character.txt in "Stainless Steel" to replace it with the one from Big Map mod.

Could you please tell me how to get there?

Quote Originally Posted by King Kong View Post
    Well, here's a short guide how to add the BigMap mod to Stainless Steel:

4. Replace the following files or folders from the BigMap with the files or folders from Stainless Steel:

- descr_character.txt for higher movement rates (BigMap/data)

5. Rename the export_descr_buildingsONEYEARPERTURN.txt (Stainless_Steel\data) to export_descr_buildings.txt (backup or delete the original file before) in order to have increased construction times and costs.

Done
    Hey KingKong

First, your mod is really great! I managed to install it yesterday.
    Then I wanted to play it with the Big Map and I stumbled over this thread here. I managed to install the Big map properly but I still had the old movement rates. I cannot find the descr_character.txt in Stainless Steel to replace it with the one from Big Map.
    Could you help me out please?

PS. And another quick question, is it possible to change the 1 Turn - 1 Year thing? To maybe 1 Turn - 1 season? Because I really want that game to be longer...the collection of your mod really fits and I enjoy it playing it!!

Sorry double post
    Last edited by student23; February 21, 2007 at 12:40 AM. Reason: double post

Hi student,

You're right that there is actually no descr_character.txt file in my mod, because I didn't modify it. So, simply add this file from the BigMap Mod...

And if you really think 1 year per turn isn't long enough (it's about 450! turns), you can go into the Stainless_Steel\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign folder, look for the descr_strat.txt file and change "timescale 1.00" to "timescale 0.50".
    Then you have 6 months per turn and about 900 turns to play!

EDIT: I forgot a small (but important) detail:
    In order to have the Ultimate AI mod installed correctly, change the following ai labels in the descr_strat.txt:

- for the Aztecs: ai_label default to ai_label aztecs
    - for the Mongols/Timurids: ai_label default to ai_label mongols
    . for Egypt/Turks/Moors: ai_label default to ai_label islam
    Last edited by King Kong; February 21, 2007 at 05:46 AM.

When I first started to use Stainless Steal mod I used it with BigMap. And after a lot of play testing I decided to revert back to the original vanilla campaign map. BigMap is splendid looking, and I really love the size of the map, and the amount of extra settlements. But it became very apparent to me that the ai was not performing as well on this larger map. Still it is possible to have a lot of fun using King kong's mod with BigMap, and I am probably being to fussy, have fun guys