Thread: Has Any one been able to reeskin a unit in m2tw?

Numenor's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Has Any one been able to reeskin a unit in m2tw?

well? untill now, the only thing i saw where new textures... any progress in this area?
    [IMG]

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Default Re: Has Any one been able to reeskin a unit in m2tw?

Reskinning = new texture, unless you mean new MODELS, which are completely different to skinning then no there are no new models as we cannot edit .mesh files.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Was this possible in Rome lusted, I know in XGM there are many new models as far as I am aware

Was this possible in Rome lusted, I know in XGM there are many new models as far as I am aware
    Yes it was, a modder called Vercingetorix made a .cas import/export script for 3ds max that allowed us to edit models. We are waiting on either CA, or a talented modder to provide a simialr script for .mesh files.
    Creator of:
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.

Ok, I thought you were about as talented as they come , although I know making a new campaign map with different coding, and a skin are completely different.

Do you think CA encourage modders BTW, there are two sides to it:

Good: Keeps interest in the game alive

Bad: Not as many people play the original (although they still have to buy it)

Ok, I thought you were about as talented as they come ,
    Im not talented in C++ or other computer coding that is needed for that kind of plugin.
    Do you think CA encourage modders BTW, there are two sides to it:
    CA are certainly supporting modders more than they did with RTW, and modders help prolonge the shelf life and publicity for a game through game mag articles about them. So they're not a bad thing.
    Creator of:

They seem to be really lukewarm about about modding they seem to try and restrain modders from doing too much to the origional such as hard coded AI in RTW and hard coded unit size in M2:TW

This bad for both the game itself and the community ive seen other games producers allow modders to have a relitivly free hand in what they are doing games such as battlefeild 1942 have created mods that have a completly different feel from the origional and some mods even felt like they were comletely new games which i had recently bought from the shelves

Mods for TW have good but they are limited from becoming great because of all the hard coding and limits CA sets on its games

This game has one of the biggest if not the biggest modding community i have seen its a shame that their efforts are held back by CAs half hartedness towards modding in general

They seem to be really lukewarm about about modding they seem to try and restrain modders from doing too much to the origional
    You've not been in the mod community for long have you? If you think we're restricted in M2TW, you should go back to RTW where the ai is compeltely untouchable, and a lot of other things as well they've now opened up to us.
    This game has one of the biggest if not the biggest modding community i have seen its a shame that their efforts are held back by CAs half hartedness towards modding in general
    They're supporting modders more and more, i can only see support for modding getting better and better with each TW game.
    Creator of:

Maybe you just caught my post at a bad time but please dont take my opinion to heart its only a public forum and just one persons point of view, not worth losing your hair over

Im not here to offend anyone Lusted but ive seen much less restrictions in other mods and im just natuarally critical about CA And Just because i dont have a high number of posts doesnt mean i havent been around for a long time ive played lots of mods some from yourself and to me it seems they are really good but could be even better with the full support of CA

As for myself i would call myself a newbie at modding as i havent tried to make my own mod only edit things in other peoples mods to my own preferances using the descr_ files so i dont have the expirence of yourself but from some other people on this forum they are frustrated with some hardcoded parts of CA's games and from that i base my own opinion

Now back to topic
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusted View Post
    They're supporting modders more and more, i can only see support for modding getting better and better with each TW game.
    they should be in full support of every mod, its just not enough support, its like saying the government are supporting the people more and more whereas they should be right from the outset
    Last edited by Vercongetorix; February 15, 2007 at 01:54 PM.

Im not here to offend anyone Lusted but ive seen much less restrictions in other mods and im just natuarally critical about CA And Just because i dont have a high number of posts doesnt mean i havent been around for a long time ive played lots of mods some from yourself and to me it seems they are really good but could be even better with the full support of CA
    Well what do you mean by full support? Mod tools? Dev members answering modder questions? Less hardcode. They've done all of them with M2TW, though of course it would always be nice to have more. And hardcodes are their for a reason.

they should be in full support of every mod, its just not enough support, its like saying the government are supporting the people more and more whereas they should be right from the outset
    And they are supporting modders. If they weren't we wouldn't be able to mod anything.
    Creator of:

Lusted you would understand if you see a mod which has/had full developer support

Quote Originally Posted by Lusted View Post
    Well what do you mean by full support? Mod tools? Dev members answering modder questions? Less hardcode. They've done all of them with M2TW, though of course it would always be nice to have more. And hardcodes are their for a reason.
    i understand hard coding somethings that are possible to sell to 3rd party game manufacturer such as AI but whats the point of hardcoding frustrating things such as Units scale I.E i cannot set units above 150men i just dont see a reason for them doing it

There support is alot better than Rome:TW's support but its still not enough

Im not gonna argue further i think you should have your say then we should leave it at that and let the thread Author get an answer to his/her question
    Last edited by Vercongetorix; February 15, 2007 at 05:45 PM.

Lusted you would understand if you see a mod which has/had full developer support
    I've never seen one of those for any game, apart froma few supported by Valve.
    Creator of:

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

Moved to Skins, Models, and Animations.