Thread: Use your Ally!

Default Use your Ally!

The situation playing as English in RTJ pre 1100: France, my “ally” by marriage calmly walks across my lands in a bid to take Antwerp ( I just have taken Bruges to forestall that occurrence!). I am not in any shape to make it a race, as my troops are tired and my investments in trade and land haven’t started contributing enough to scoop up enough mercenaries to take on the tough Flemish pikemen. What to do? If I take on the French, I may win but face the consequences of poor reputation plus I have stripped my continental forces to take Bruges already and Caen and Rennes are very thinly garrisoned. I won’t be able to move enough troops to get to Antwerp fast enough to snatch the prize. Hmmm….

Well, if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em! The French aren’t sure victors as the have primarily lower grade milita, some spearmen, one or two archer units. I move 1 archer, 2 crossbows, one merc spears and one spear unit up, attack, set to build one ram. End of turn. France attacks. I set up as close to their flank as possible. Move the Ram to the gate nearest the French flank which draws the Flem’s out of the square and to the gate. When the French break in, I drop the ram and move everyone to the broken gate at the rear of the French. ( This has the “disadvantage” of bringing the pikes into the flanks of the French)
    Then I watch, taking no part in the ensuing melee until the French break the initial charge at the gate. I then move into the city setting up on both sides of the gate, start the arches firing fire shots into the front lines (oops! Was that your man, Monsieur? Sorry!) Again, wait and watch. The French leader goes down! (oh no! ;^)) The battle moves to the square. The French bolt is shot. The rebel leader falls but it is too little too late! My French companions flee the field! (oh no!) dragging the remnants of the rebel up to the gates where I feel obligated to start a deluge of crossbolts into their flanks to assist there unfettered retreat. As a matter of fact, I just keep pumping bolts until the rebels are spent and only a very few lonely rebels are left in the square. At this point, I feel soooo bad about the fall of the French I exit the battle (primarily, because if I complete it, the town is awarded to those remaining brave Gallic warrior who, now having suffer 900+ causulties to my measly 70). To save the French pride I retreat as well. Too sad!

Next turn, the exhausted French are still camped on my property, but Antwerp is now garrisoned with one depleted archer unit, one new Pikemen, and another new spear unit. I can’t let my “defeat” go unrevenged! I move the same stack in, this time with a general (Bruges has settled down now). Uneventful victory….I am so ashamed of myself, I probably ought to gift the town to my ally…..not!

Lopus's Avatar Biarchus
    SJ, MM, Republic of the Banana (Philippines)

Default Re: Use your Ally!

That is a very funny story. I never considered doing that ... so "friendly fire" isn't?

Oh no, Monsieur! I was aiming at those Pikemen! Really! I am so sorry my dirty peasant archer are so inept!

The Sweeper's Avatar Miles

Hah, nice story KT.

I had the same sort of thing with Bruges actually, but instead of being inventful such as you were, I simply sieged the place, and then when the rebels rallied out, I retreated. For some reason, this made the French army pull back, leaving mine right by the city, ready to siege it the very next turn.

I’m not real clear on the protocol for siege resolution when allies are present. I tried different approached to the problem, including taking the city after all the French retreated (although one routed French unit kept hanging around, probably to claim victory in case I won). Since they got there first and initiated the battle, I suspect there is no way for me to “win” the first engagement. My goals were to take the city, deplete the French, minimize casualties. Since I could not achieve the first, I focused on the other two.

My fallback strategy in case the French actually took the square was to wait until the last seconds were ticking or the last rebels were being eviscerated, then pull the plug and lose. This makes the whole battle go into the tank (I probably would take some small autocalced casualties, but at least the French would not win. (What, Monsuer?! You didn’t call for a retreat? Your troops were streaming past me in effort to regain Belle France and my poor dirty peasants would stand no chance against those pike beasts that you have so bravely challenged! My most sincere apologies, your Grace!)

One other thing, if the rebels had sallied out, your best approach may have been to run as hard as you could to get the French between you and the rebels – (I am so sorry, Monsieur, that my poor rabble fled and put you into such a predicament! My heart is broken at the thought of the poor widows and orphans that mourn the lose of the brave French soldiers that protected my disgusting peasant cowards that hid behind your mightly shields. I will come to Antwerp immediately to put things right!) Of course, I would have pulled the plug at the most critical moment, like, when I was going to be hurt without prospect of “sharing the glory with my noble ally” or in the event that the French countered and moved to capture the city.

Lord Sherwin's Avatar Foederatus

I've had a good and bad story as well with French, I am playing English and have French as my ally by marriage. for like 5 to 10 turns there's a french army (1 archer 2 spearmen) sitting on Caen, First, I got worried that they may betray me so I added some unit mostly archers to depend my castle, All my unit is on full battle gear ready for whatever next move that my french ally will take. It really annoys me because they are just standing very close to my castle and don't know what are they up to. Until Danes landed on my shore with a full stack of army and besieged me. I was allied as well to the Pope so I just hold the castle waiting for the Pope to Excomunicate Danes, plan my attack, send diplomats to their capital ready for a ceasefire call once I've murdered their armies in Caen and ask for some money for any damages they could have done. For a couple of turns, bloody Pope didn't take any action and french armies is still there just watching the Danes, I hate to see my people dying and starving so I faced the Danes, surprisingly that french sitting on the starbucks coffee shop outside Caen join the battle and get me excited thinking how they will support me in the battle. So I position my army ready for battle and started it. Got the reinforcement message saying that french army will be delayed so be prepared WTF!!! *ng !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sherwin View Post
    I've had a good and bad story as well with French, I am playing English and have French as my ally by marriage. for like 5 to 10 turns there's a french army (1 archer 2 spearmen) sitting on Caen, First, I got worried that they may betray me so I added some unit mostly archers to depend my castle, All my unit is on full battle gear ready for whatever next move that my french ally will take. It really annoys me because they are just standing very close to my castle and don't know what are they up to. Until Danes landed on my shore with a full stack of army and besieged me. I was allied as well to the Pope so I just hold the castle waiting for the Pope to Excomunicate Danes, plan my attack, send diplomats to their capital ready for a ceasefire call once I've murdered their armies in Caen and ask for some money for any damages they could have done. For a couple of turns, bloody Pope didn't take any action and french armies is still there just watching the Danes, I hate to see my people dying and starving so I faced the Danes, surprisingly that french sitting on the starbucks coffee shop outside Caen join the battle and get me excited thinking how they will support me in the battle. So I position my army ready for battle and started it. Got the reinforcement message saying that french army will be delayed so be prepared WTF!!! *ng !!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Go Vikings!!!!

No one won A war by dieing for their country, They won it by making the other poor basterd die for his.

Lol funny story, good way to take a city for yourself o.O
    OMG it's war!

Click here for world peace. http://tinyurl.com/attaining-world-peace.