Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: TTW 4.0 Feedback

Default TTW 4.0 Feedback

Please post feedback here, from error reporting to praise. It will help us improve the mod and will help other people to decide to download the mod or not.

Default Re: TTW 4.0 Feedback

Well, Im finally getting sick of M2TW, and I decided to go back to RTW. So I downloaded this mod, and I remember playing it when it first came out, so hey, I gave it another shot. ITS AWESOME. Zhuge, great mod!!!!!!!!!!!!

Positives:
    not tooo much cavalry... . = )
    infantry based war....
    Archer kill rates..... (actually, very good, they dont kill too much head on, but on the flanks,,, its trouble for the enemy)
    battle speed..... :hmmm: see below
    time it takes for routing..... pretty good.

Negatives:
    With the battle speed, it would seem that units would die faster, but thats not the case,,,, I find it that the kill rate is very, very slow. I understand the heroes or the kings guard are tough SOB's, but I mean, c'mon.... ten years to kill 1 guy???? the stats I feel should change just a little. I guess maybe with a little bit of peltasts in the back or side flank would help a bit, but Hand to hand battle, well, they take wayyyy to long to die.

Overall: I give the game a 91%

Hope my opinion helps!!!!

THE P-MAN
    Chuck Norris can make a paraplegic run for his life.

Scar Face's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Well, I read the "Problem 2" thread, and I saw that you told him to post his problems in the Feedback thread. So, heres mine. I installed it to my main RTW directory, and loaded it up. It showed the Troy background, but then I heard a *ting*. So, I clicked on the screen and a message came up saying:

"Error loading mount database"

Hmm? What does this mean? How do I fix it? :hmmm:

Default Minor Issues

Unit Attribute : Argos Javelin are not sea-faring...Presume its an over-sight as other javelin troops are.

Mercenaries :Some of the troops have the text "Localised placement text missing" on the unit card. Doesn't affect play.

Diplomats: I know that I can only speak to other diplomats, but it seems this isn't the case with the AI. They can, and do, interact via cities as per base RTW. Personally, I would like to be able to talk to the capital city at the very least, as well as other diplomats.
    Last edited by Nicodemus; February 19, 2007 at 07:38 AM.

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

Scar Face, that problem usually arises when there's been a problem with installation. In other words, are you sure you installed over a clean BI 1.6? Whatever the case, the solution is basically just to reinstall a clean, unmodden BI 1.6 and then install TTW 4.0 over the top.

One irritating thing as well.

Doesn't affect gameplay, but is encouraging me to wipe them out : I think it should be "Theban", not "Thebian" .

Yes, that annoys me too, actually.

Trade Route & Exection Square ( Both Barbarian ) : "Unit Card" has text " DO NOT TRANSLATE - SHOULD NEVER APPEAR" etc..

As Argos I have just captured a Minoan city and can see this. Probably doesn't affect gameplay, but....

Great game though.

Regards the "Thebian" issue - change it in the "expanded_bi.txt". Its obvious how to do it. Won't affect my attitude to them 'Thebes delenda est' ( or the equivalent nasty Argive quote

Also changed the highly annoying "gotten" in one of the quotes to more acceptable English. In "quotes.txt", but in the base data folder.

I'm glad the only negative feedback is personal installation errors and spelling mistakes lol. Such pernickety little things don't equate to the quality of gameplay or artwork, so i'm very happy thus far.

Those text messages that are ERROR - THIS TEXT SHOULD NOT SHOW is caused by the building being available to a culture that doesn't normally get it, to fix it all that is required is a copy paste job of the description to a different culture in the text file. I tried to do this pre-release, but forgot about situations where buildings get captured by different cultures. Spelling mistakes - honorius was to blame . Quotes - zenith was to blame . "Localised placement text missing" error caused by a spelling mistake in unit dictionary name. Diplomats - that feature was intentional, but easy enough to change i think.
    Last edited by Zhuge_Liang; February 19, 2007 at 10:23 AM.

Glad to hear that these are easily fixable...I have done the javelin unit, and spellings myself, but for the buildings issue, unit dictionary and especially the diplomat issue I would need to be pointed at the correct files. Any chance of this ? or a mini-patch ?

Search for the unit in the bi EDU file, then search for the same unit in the bi/data/text/export_unts file and see if there is a difference in spelling. If so change the export_units name to that in the EDU.

For buildings look in the bi/data/text/export_buildings file, it should be easy enough to figure out once you see how that file works.

For diplomats.... not sure.

I'm glad that nobody has yet found any errors in the quotes!

OK. I worked out the building one, and it is now correct ( at least for barbarian trade route & execution square.) Dare say I would have to change the whole lot to have it correct - sometime.....

I will try to locate the unit description error and see if I can correct that.

Also "corrected/enhanced" the adjective for Argos to be "Argive" and for Mycenae to be "Mycenaean" : yes, I am picky
    Last edited by Nicodemus; February 20, 2007 at 06:19 AM.

Default TTW Observations....

As regards gameplay, I am getting used to the units and the different way you have to use them ( ie extended battles, high morale and exhaustion ). As Argos, I have just reached the point of being able to build chariot archers, but how can I afford them ! They cost 800 to build and 400 to maintain !!! Still, they should add flavour to tactical battles.

As a observation: since chariots were the main "cavalry" of the time, maybe they could be available via an earlier building ( or building combination : stables + Blacksmith ?), possibly in a "light" version ?

Its always good to have variety in the units, but with only infantry & missile troops for the opening phase of the game, you miss it a bit ( base RTW withdrawal symptom, I could say ) or rather, have to adjust to the variety of infantry available.

In contrast to a previous post, I find the casualties very high. Having just fought a 20+ unit battle against the Thebans, I can say that I suffered something like 75% casualties. Probably historically accurate, given the effectiveness of spears against linen and boiled woollen armour

Archers ( yes, again ) can cause horrendous casualties against exhasted/demoralised troops, and/or lightly armoured ones, but wouldn't that be the case ?

Don't know if the Argives have better archers than others, but maybe, instead of reducing their effectiveness, perhaps they could be even more expensive? or at least the "good" ones could.... I note that Ancient Greeks would have considered archery to be lesss honourable than fighting hand-to-hand, so finding ways to limit the number of archer units would probably be a good thing. ( As long as one has a unit at the siege of Troy to ensure that Paris has his just reward ).

Sieges are good, as armies inevitably come out to fight. Although here is one thing that bugs me. Is it the AI in general, or TTW, where the sallying army comes out piecemeal ? Athens would have given a good show of themselves as they were only outnumbered by about 60, and had 3 "heros" units, but Instead, out they came one or two units at a time and died...a real shame

Is this fixable in the aI-formations.txt or something ? It would really add to the gameplay...

Campaign Notes

In the campaign I am running now, as Argos, I am running second/third to Lydia ( owns most of "Turkey" ) and Thrace, having wiped out Sparta ( a roll-over in 3 turns ), Mycenae, Pylos and Athens. Also Ithica has been taken by Rebels, and for some strange reason a huge army of Minoans are waiting outside Melos to besiege me. No idea why they don't, but they just wait there - must be good wine & olives .

The Minoans seem seriously well-equipped warriors - can't wait to take them on properly, and to try them out. Likewise Thessaly, if they have good cavalry. The Dorians ? Do they have better weapons ? Iron Age stuff ?

Lastly, a tip ( well, two ). Don't underestimate Rebel armies these days, and never auto-resolve a battle if your opponent has "heros" units in the line up - you'll probably lose.

Default TTW Observations....

As regards gameplay, I am getting used to the units and the different way you have to use them ( ie extended battles, high morale and exhaustion ). As Argos, I have just reached the point of being able to build chariot archers, but how can I afford them ! They cost 800 to build and 400 to maintain !!! Still, they should add flavour to tactical battles.

As a observation: since chariots were the main "cavalry" of the time, maybe they could be available via an earlier building ( or building combination : stables + Blacksmith ?), possibly in a "light" version ?

Its always good to have variety in the units, but with only infantry & missile troops for the opening phase of the game, you miss it a bit ( base RTW withdrawal symptom, I could say ) or rather, have to adjust to the variety of infantry available.

In contrast to a previous post, I find the casualties very high. Having just fought a 20+ unit battle against the Thebans, I can say that I suffered something like 75% casualties. Probably historically accurate, given the effectiveness of spears against linen and boiled woollen armour

Archers ( yes, again ) can cause horrendous casualties against exhasted/demoralised troops, and/or lightly armoured ones, but wouldn't that be the case ?

Don't know if the Argives have better archers than others, but maybe, instead of reducing their effectiveness, perhaps they could be even more expensive? or at least the "good" ones could.... I note that Ancient Greeks would have considered archery to be lesss honourable than fighting hand-to-hand, so finding ways to limit the number of archer units would probably be a good thing. ( As long as one has a unit at the siege of Troy to ensure that Paris has his just reward ).

Sieges are good, as armies inevitably come out to fight. Although here is one thing that bugs me. Is it the AI in general, or TTW, where the sallying army comes out piecemeal ? Athens would have given a good show of themselves as they were only outnumbered by about 60, and had 3 "heros" units, but Instead, out they came one or two units at a time and died...a real shame

Is this fixable in the aI-formations.txt or something ? It would really add to the gameplay...

Campaign Notes

In the campaign I am running now, as Argos, I am running second/third to Lydia ( owns most of "Turkey" ) and Thrace, having wiped out Sparta ( a roll-over in 3 turns ), Mycenae, Pylos and Athens. Also Ithica has been taken by Rebels, and for some strange reason a huge army of Minoans are waiting outside Melos to besiege me. No idea why they don't, but they just wait there - must be good wine & olives .

The Minoans seem seriously well-equipped warriors - can't wait to take them on properly, and to try them out. Likewise Thessaly, if they have good cavalry. The Dorians ? Do they have better weapons ? Iron Age stuff ?

Lastly, a tip ( well, two ). Don't underestimate Rebel armies these days, and never auto-resolve a battle if your opponent has "heros" units in th eline up - you'll probably lose.

Semisalis

I installed Troy Total War Perfectly. But when I start the game it returns back to my desktop. I did everything right.

1. Copied Rome Total War Barbarian Invasion.
    2. Patched to 1.6.
    3.Installed troy total war.

Please fix this annoying CTD problem.

Default Unit Missing ?!

Where are the assassins ? Been happily waiting for this and I find they aren't around :hmmm:

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
    I installed Troy Total War Perfectly. But when I start the game it returns back to my desktop. I did everything right.

1. Copied Rome Total War Barbarian Invasion.
    2. Patched to 1.6.
    3.Installed troy total war.

Please fix this annoying CTD problem.

You're the only one so it is something you are/n't doing, and without more info i can't help at all.

Default Re: TTW Observations....

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post

Campaign Notes

Lastly, a tip ( well, two ). Don't underestimate Rebel armies these days, and never auto-resolve a battle if your opponent has "heros" units in th eline up - you'll probably lose.

I fully support people 'personalizing' their own versions. We all have our own ideas of what way we want the mod, in fact that is partially why mods are made in the first place.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast