Thread: England Campaign, v2.1

billydilly's Avatar Senator

Default England Campaign, v2.1

After playing DLV and Anno Domini for a while I decided to give LTC another go. I chose England on VH/VH.

The Kingdom of England
    First I did what I usually do, offer trade rights to France, Scotland, HRE and Denmark. I also allied with HRE and Denmark. I then took York, Wales and Ireland, I blockaded the landbridge between Scotland and Ireland in order to prevent the Scots form taking Ireland, they actually made a naval invasion, but by then I had captured Ireland.

Then it was time to build the infrastructure, roads, markets, ports etc. Caen built spearmen and swordsmen and in Nottingham built archers and knights. Caernaervon was transformed into a city.

Europe
    The first wars started in northern Italy, Venice, HRE, Milan all joined in. Soon my allies, the HRE, were excommunicated, then France attacked the HRE. England deceided to stay out of the fighting. England allied itself with the Pope, gave him gifts, map information.

The First Crusade
    The first crusade was called around 1100. The Holy City of Jerusalem was the target. Young Henry joined immedietly, recruiting spearmen, archers and Crusader Knights. After a coulpe of month at sea they reached the Holy Land, it was occupied by the Egyptians. Henry besieged the city, shortly after Egyptian reinforcements arrived. They tried to lift the siege and the first ballte of the crusades had started.

The Egyptian consisted mostly of peasent archers,militia units and some cavalry. The were no match for the eager crusaders. The battle was soon over. One thousand prisoners were taken, but there was no mercy, all were killed.

Jerusalem

To hold Jerusalem proved much more difficult than taking it. There was constant unrest. The priests that had travelled with the army did what they could, but did little good. Another problem was the lack of recruits for the army, which was much depleated by constant Egyptian attacks. Soon the city was in open revolt, Henry then deceided to leave the city but not before offering it to the Byzantines, who gladly accepted the city and 20.000 in gold. Another term was that the Byzantines should declare war on the Egyptians.

Acre
    Henry marched his army north to Acre, besieged it and took it. Henrys plan was to build up his forces in the castle, then later retake Jerusalem. The plan was that the Egyptians and the Byzantians should first fight over the city, it never happend. Instead the Egyptians besieged and attacked Acre no less than 8 times over the next couple of years. The defenders managed to hold out against the relentless attackes. In one of the attacks Henry was killed.

Shortly after the capture of Acre the King had sent a fleet carring fresh infantry, longbowmen, knights and the promising general Goeffrey to aid Acre. The fleet reached the coast of Sicily when it was attacked and sunk by a massive Egyptian fleet. The depleated English garrison, realising that no help was coming, offered the Egyptians a ceasefire and 30.000 in gold. They accepted, so there was peace for a while. What the Egyptians didn't know was that there was a new English fleet on its way to Acre.

The Second Crusade 1150
    While the english were struggling to keep Acre the Second Crusade was called to libertate Antioch from the Turks. The english, having allied themselves with the Turks, decided not to join. The Milanese besieged the city and took it shortly after. This meant that the english had a fellow christian neighbour to the north. The celebrations were shortlived, within a year the Turks had retaken the city. The Pope was outraged.

The Third Crusade 1156
    The target was again Antioch and once again the Milanese arrived first and took the city. This time they were followed by the Poles, the Hungarians and most of the christian world, this seemed to prevent the massive turkish armies from attacking the city.

Godffrey the Cruel at Acre
    While the first and second crusade were happening Godffrey, nicknamed the Cruel, arrived at Acre with a large army of infantry, cavalry and most important of all longbowmen, seven units of them. Four merchants were also onboard, they were sent to Egypt and Bagdad.
    Godffrey build two forts outside Acre placing his army in one, and started training longbowmen and armoured sergants for the other, as well as hiring mercenaries.
    At the very moment Godffrey arrived in the Middle East another fleet was being prepared in England, its destination was also Acre.

The King is dead!
    Within two years both the Heir to the throne and the King of England himself were dead. Prince Robert died at Caen in 1154 and the King was killed by welsh rebels while conquering Wales.
    The new King was Goeffrey, 19, not to be confused with Godffrey the Cruel. The heir to the throne was now Prince Robin, ironically in Nottingham.

The Middle East
    Then suddenly around 1160 all of Europe declared war on Egypt, there was no crusade, and the english spies in Egypt never saw no christian armies.
    In Acre Godffrey now commanded three full armies, his eyes were fixed on the Holy City, still controlled by the Byzantines, the long-time english allies.

Elsewhere the Egyptians had complete control of everything from Alexandria to Aleppo to Bagdad. Damascus and Gaza were heavily garrisoned and with armies roaming the surrounding lands.
    The Turks seemed to control most of Asia Minor and the lands north of the Egyptians. And there in the middle of everything were England, Milan and the Byzantines with one region each.

Europe in 1165
    In Europe France is now a major power, they have taken the western part of The Holy Roman Empire, who in turn have taken much of Italy, pushing the Kingdom of Sicily to Cagliari. Milan holds Milano, Genoa and Dijon.
    In a strange turn of events the french are excommunicated and a crusade is called to Touluse. Most nations join the crusade, suddenly France stands alone, and to the north sits England, allied with most of the christian world.

Let slip the dogs of war!
    The fleet bound for Acre diverts to Rennes and besieges the city, Prince Robin arrives from Nottingham and heads for Rheims, defeating the Prince of France on his way. The King himself leads an army straight to Paris.
    The army at Rennes breaks of the siege and heads for the Citadel of Angers, the lightly defended Rennes is then besieged by a smaller force from Caen.

In 1169 the french tried to lift the siege at Paris and Angers, at Battle of Paris the King of England defeats and kills the King of France, Angers also falls the same year.

The english crusade arrived and besieged Toulouse. Shortly after the Pope died and the crusade was called off, the english army continued the siege

...to be continued...
    Last edited by billydilly; February 14, 2007 at 09:47 AM.
    CPU: Intel i7-8700. GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Armor 8G. RAM: Corsair Vengance, 16Gb HD: Kingston SSD 240Gb (System), Samsung 850 Evo SSD 500Gb (Steam), Western Digital 500Gb. PSU: Corsair CX600W

Default Re: England Campaign, v2.1

Nice story dude,

If I may ask, from the 3 mods that you have tried witch one to you like better and why??

Thanks for your reply
    TIME TO DIE!!!! Proud Son of Viking Prince

billydilly's Avatar Senator

Default Re: England Campaign, v2.1

It is difficult to say,

I like Anno Domini because of all the extra details, new images, events, scripted stuff and of course the map, lots of regions. But the turns take forever.

DLV because it seem pretty complete, diplomacy, titles, bigmap. I've played it a lot.

But LTC has actually been the most exiting so far, especially my crusade to Jerusalem. If LTC had a slightly bigger map (not huge), titles (roleplaying) then I would say LTC is the best.

By the way, I've just downloaded the Regions&Provinces BigMap mod, it has a crazy number of regions. But I'm not sure if it includes fixed AI, fixed 2-hand and shields.
    CPU: Intel i7-8700. GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Armor 8G. RAM: Corsair Vengance, 16Gb HD: Kingston SSD 240Gb (System), Samsung 850 Evo SSD 500Gb (Steam), Western Digital 500Gb. PSU: Corsair CX600W