Thread: some ideas

Kaosbouncer's Avatar Libertus

Default some ideas

i've been a huge fan of this mod since 0.91 and i have to say that no other mod creates a more unique experience than Anno Domini. here i have a list of suggestions i've compiled. some of them might be ridiculous, some might not be doable, but they're just a few things i thought could be implemented.

Royal Titles: I absolutely love these! i was pretty upset when i found out that you can't have more than 8 ancillaries per character. i read somewhere that you were going to make it so that faction leaders and heirs can't get any other ancillaries. but still, there are more than eight royal titles. first off, there should be a priority list on them. for example, it's more important to get Rex Franciae than, say, Rex Norvegiae, as the bonuses are better. also, when the faction leader has more than eight titles, additional titles could go to the faction heir. the best, most prestigious titles go to the faction leader, of course, with the lesser titles going to the heir. i'm not sure how it would work when the faction heir with all the lesser titles becomes leader, if there's a way to remove them. :hmmm:

also, i've tried myself to add a few more royal titles, but sadly i can't. a few suggestions for some new ones:
    Rex Albaniae - Ochrida
    Rex Greciae - Korinthos, Iraklion
    Rex Crimeae - Theodosia
    Rex Tunisiae - Tunis
    Rex Alandalusiae - Corduba, Sevilla
    Dux Milanae - Milan
    Rex Italiae (this should represent a unified Italy) - Milan, Genoa, Venexia, Fiorenzia, Bologna, Roma, Napoli, Palermo, Callari (that might be too many cities)
    Dux Flanderiae (Flanders was one of the most lucrative and powerful duchies in Europe, and i think a royal title is needed) - Bruges

Campaign Map: This is by far the best campaign map out for MTWII. the provinces are added where they're needed, not just to fill in gaps. Northern Italy, France and Germany were the most populated areas of Europe at the time, and need more than the provinces alloted to them to be properly represented.

-Tarabulus province should be split. it's just too big
    -al-Jaza Ir, Biyajah, and Tunis should be provinces that control the coastline, as it doesn't make that much sense that taking Algiers gives one control of a vast line of desert. The northern Sahara should be its own province, perhaps with Qusantina as its capitol
    -York should be a town at the beginning of the game, not a castle. i've changed this myself. Normandy-Anjou has more than enough castles as it is, and being the economic center of Northern England, i think it makes more sense to have York as a town

other than that, you have done an amazing job recreating this game. it's like i'm playing a whole new game keep up the amazing work!

Default Re: some ideas

Rex Italiae already exists and I already changed York to a city for the next release.

Sadly I'm pretty close to the limit of regions I could add to the map so the next ones have to be very carefully chosen. Sincerely desert is desert and who and how is controlled isn't of great importance.

as for the new regions (i know: everybody wants more regions in the country he's interested in ) but i'll try it anyway:
    I think in northern germany (between Hamburg and Frankfurt) there is a region of Brunswick missing. This was a very important counterpart in high middle ages of the staufer-dynasty - the site of the Welfen-Dynasty. And otherwise the hamburg region is too big in my opinion.
    This region should be as illoyal as northern italy in the high medieval era.
    Can I bribe you somehow for creating this new region ?

Quote Originally Posted by oho View Post
    Can I bribe you somehow for creating this new region ?
    No

Can you simply eliminate the desert as a province? No one, ever, conquered that territory. The berbers are but an ethnic group that populated the area -- but that doesn't mean that its conquerable. Hell, the british empire had rough problems keeping that in order centuries later, I dont see how tis feasable now.

So why not simply eliminate the desert and keep the African provinces as shore provinces.

P.S. Can you imagine the ammount of money it would take to pay for an army to go from the african coast-line to a desert garrison? Thats about 3 turns in journey, and another one to siege is 4 turns. That'd be economical suicide with this mod. I dont think that they're useful at all and just take up space. Thats just my opinion..

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel View Post
    Can you simply eliminate the desert as a province? No one, ever, conquered that territory. The berbers are but an ethnic group that populated the area -- but that doesn't mean that its conquerable. Hell, the british empire had rough problems keeping that in order centuries later, I dont see how tis feasable now.

So why not simply eliminate the desert and keep the African provinces as shore provinces.

P.S. Can you imagine the ammount of money it would take to pay for an army to go from the african coast-line to a desert garrison? Thats about 3 turns in journey, and another one to siege is 4 turns. That'd be economical suicide with this mod. I dont think that they're useful at all and just take up space. Thats just my opinion..
    That's the reason why nobody cared to conquer that box of sand until us italians in 1912 (Ottomans made pacts with the berber and libic tribes, no great campaign was ever settled there and in fact Tunisia and Marocco weren't under Ottoman domination).

Anyway there's no way to removing a region without making another region, which pretty baffled the point.

So how about removing all of the non-coastal regions and making them into one giant region. You take out 3 or 4, you put in one..you end up with 2 or 3 more regions to place elsewhere...like on the coast of africa.

Probably a silly question.. but is there any particular reason why the titles are ancillaries and not traits? since the titles aren't moved around it would seem that being a trait performs the same tasks... which would also mean that faction leaders didn't have to worry so much about the number of ancillaries he has so he can gain new titles.

Because they are cool to be seen with their heraldy and to avoid people to stack too many of them.

Is there a limit to the ammount of Ancilliaries a monarch can have, or did you code that into the game?

8 is the hardcoded limit of ancillaries one carachter can have.

Take in count that, beside royal titles and negative ones, in AD most of them can be transferred between characters.

Can I actively transfer "Rex of Leon" to my heir, on will?

Nevermind..tried but I couldnt make little Alfonso into King of Navarre...

P.S. Can you make ancilliaries for Generals or Nobles part of the family? Like "Count of Seville" or "Duke of Flanders"? This way, even though you can put them on your king, you can give offices to your nobles, in order to make them a bit better and not have the average "Promising Commander" and end up with a [1 star/0 chivalry/3 loyalty/0 piety] general.

Maybe even make a really cool one, I.E. if you make a specific building like Baronial Courts then your King assures a good group of advisers, therefore upping the ammount of taxes he can recollect since he gets a better education and has a better team of advisors than some backwater principality somewhere where they dont have any grammar..
    Last edited by Mikel; February 13, 2007 at 11:55 PM.

having the titles transferable my not be a bad idea.

P.S. Can you make ancilliaries for Generals or Nobles part of the family? Like "Count of Seville" or "Duke of Flanders"? This way, even though you can put them on your king, you can give offices to your nobles, in order to make them a bit better and not have the average "Promising Commander" and end up with a [1 star/0 chivalry/3 loyalty/0 piety] general.
    Problem with ancillaries representing lesser titles is, beside the huge amount of work, how the AI can handle them. I'm not saying there won't be, actually I'd love to have them but I want to make a neat work.

Wait for the next generations as heirs will acquire some ereditary traits, good and bad, while new generals will have some randomization also.

Maybe even make a really cool one, I.E. if you make a specific building like Baronial Courts then your King assures a good group of advisers, therefore upping the ammount of taxes he can recollect since he gets a better education and has a better team of advisors than some backwater principality somewhere where they dont have any grammar..
    For the moment you can accept all the trade fairs events to raise the tradeskill raise of your leader and his nobles. A new and a lot more sophisticated building tree is in the design phase.

Thanks ok, just throwing ideas out there. I'm really enjoying this mod.

Thanks ok, just throwing ideas out there. I'm really enjoying this mod.
    No problem, as you can see I'm reading them and usually (time permitting) answer.

I think a mod is made primarly from clear ideas from the modders and I won't put into it something I don't believe in just because 1000 people are asking for it BUT this doesn't mean that talking with other MTW2 fans one can't collect ideas whom he did never think of before.

So feel free to write your ideas, just don't expect that everything will find a way into the mod

Kaosbouncer's Avatar Libertus

is there currently a priority system for the royal titles? like lets say that the ruler of the House of Capet is already king of France, Navarre, Aragon, Sardinia, Burgundy, England, Wales and Ireland, and then he conquers the cities needed to become Holy Roman Emperor. He obviously wouldn't get the Holy Roman Emperor title, even if the current Holy Roman Emperor dies before him. but would his heir get the title in place of a lesser one, like Rex Sardiniae? or does it all occur in order of the lands conquered?