Thread: Guard Mode...

Ketchup's Avatar Senator

Default Guard Mode...

Hi,
    I've been playing TW games since RTW but I've never known what guard mode does, except stop troops running after fleeing enemies. However, I have heard that guard mode affects a units fighting ability, escpecially during siegs(in confined spaces). Is this true? Does it have other effects?:hmmm:
    Cheers

Default Re: Guard Mode...

Guard mode basically does what you said -- it makes your units hold their position in the game. Regarding the rumors that you are hearing, yes, it does affect unit fighting abilities, but mostly in relations to spear-wall units (such as pikemen/some special halberd units). When you set guard mode on for those units (they're set to be on by default) they tend to do well against cavalry, but fare poorly against infantry mainly because they are immobile. If you turn off Guard Mode when using spear-wall units against infantry, they will do much better.

Also, I've heard the rumor that units in general on guard mode tend to stay more compact (spreading out = more casualties for your troops over time), so that may be beneficial. However, I have yet to see this happen in my games, so I'm not sure how valid the statement is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ketchup View Post
    Hi,
    I've been playing TW games since RTW but I've never known what guard mode does, except stop troops running after fleeing enemies. However, I have heard that guard mode affects a units fighting ability, escpecially during siegs(in confined spaces). Is this true? Does it have other effects?:hmmm:
    Cheers
    In the day of old, guard mode was separate from hold position, and did lower your attack rating while uping your defense rating. All I get from the strat guide now is that guard does basically what both of you said keep the men in formation which still is a form of defense since your unit will fight side by side rather than spread out to pursue opening themselves up to a flank move. The guide doesn't say if there is a bonus or not. however I'm pretty certain pikes in particular get a bonus for using their special ability i.e phalanx.

guard mode is useful against cavalry.

In guard mode ur units don't attempt to change their position. They also point up their spears at the enemy beore they charge, some reassurance if they're heavily armoured knights.