Thread: Outskirts of an Empire-Chapter 2

Default Outskirts of an Empire-Chapter 2

Here's the next installment of my AAR/battle report series. Enjoy!

Time flies by and the year is 1107. With the successful conquest against the Moors led by Ruprecht the Brave, Emperor Heinrich desires more power and land, which the Pope utterly refuses. His greed and hatred towards anyone who disagrees with his judgement has led to a sudden war with Poland, a nation that the Holy Roman Empire had once fervently supported against the Danish who were by now eliminated as a threat…and as a people. Europe is plunged into war, a war that even the Pope cannot stop as the two sides take their stand on the battlefields. In a sudden sweep and act of bravado, Emperor Heinrich orders Peter the Wrathful to siege Uppsala up in Denmark in order to crush the threat of the Poles from the North. Although Peter the Wrathful is a totally inexperienced commander, he does what he is told, and marches to the doomed city and waits, starving its citizens to death. Meanwhile the capture of Magdeburg by General Gottfield and his army of town militia had finally caught the infuriated eye of the Poles who attempted to parley before more bloodshed who sent an army to crush the army. The Reich and Poles are standing head to head and the mighty blows of the to powers will start to shake the world until one or the other is completely vanquished…

Act I- Uppsala
    The cold freezing air bit on his open skin, not covered by the sheer weight of his armour. For 3 long years his foe had survived under his barricade and he was getting extremely impatient. He had other important things to do, like executing criminals, stealing from taxes and spending more time with his foreign mistress…as one does. Peter the Wrathful grumbled as he did his usual patrol of his men, who were themselves just as bored. “Be strong my countrymen, they will soon rot in their graves,” he reminded his troops for the 10th time since the start of the siege. “The more we wait, the greater the blood we will spill on their land!” His men kept silent. Each man knew the dangers of disapproving the Wrathful’s comments. Behind his youthful face was a demon, a savage beast to anyone who opposed him. He was a reckless young man…the perfect man for the job (at least in Emperor Heinrich’s opinion), even though he was a poor commander and his loyalty ever so doubtful.

The one thing common to all sieges is when the enemy is on the verge of defeat; one would prefer to die in battle than to die as a living skeleton, a rotting living corpse. And this day was no exception.

“MEN! TO THE BATTLE LINES! FORM UP! FORM UP!” Peter the Wrathful bellowed, his sinister voice penetrating the hearts of the enemy. But, like in all sieges, when the enemy sallies out, there is no time to position and so the Wrathful’s men were caught totally off guard as the enemy poured out of the gate.

Crossbowmen quickly provide cover for the frantic troops of Peter the Wrathful
    Peter’s lack of judgement had caused him to make very serious errors in the past and although he vowed not to make them again, he often did. Peter, being the selfish noble he was let his men take the full brunt of the attack, galloping with his bodyguard to the unprotected left flank away from the enemy archer and crossbow fire and positioned himself for a charge. Unfortunately for him his men were breaking not because they were too weak and frail to compete with Polish arms and axes but because of the fact that they were swarmed by them like hornets stinging them painfully and so 2 squads decided to flee from the battle. However as they turned their heads to take one final glance at the battlefield, they saw the inner demon of Peter staring at them wildly, which quickly changed their decision and they charged straight back into the fray.

The Reich engages the Poles in bloody combat in the freezing cold
    The reckless Monster turned to his foe and charged head on. As the cold wind blew across his form, a sinister smile spread across his face and the Poles knew what they were facing. He ploughed straight through the left flank, skewering anyone in his way with his joust and almost immediately the entire flank was gone, either fleeing back into the castle or just simply covered by the red coloured snow as the horses’ hooves trampled over their broken bodies.

The Monster approaches the doomed Poles, confident in utterly crushing them
    The enemy captain, Captain Szymon notices that his entire army is in flight and furthermore, the Monster is heading straight at him. Doing what Poles do best, he flees inside the castle hoping that he will at least die falling on his sword than being butchered by that beast. But there can be no escape from dreaded general like Peter. He chases after him cutting down anyone in his way and soon reaches the fleeing captain, who now looked more like a terrified chicken than a notable captain of the Polish Empire. Szymon’s exhaustion would be the end of him and as he turned around to inevitably face his foe, his horse was sliced and he fell down, breaking his leg and thus allowing Peter’s men to capture the trophy. Szymon watches as the might of Poland is wiped out, reminding him what had happened to Denmark 10 years before when they had got in the way of the Reich.

The Polish Captain attempts to flee, but to no avail
    In a matter of moments the battle had ended. 300 of Peter’s men laid dead. All of Szymon’s had perished. Peter the Wrathful laughed as he walked around the city killing anyone in his sight as his men torched the building and slaughtered the people. Blood stained the cold ground and the bodies froze in the cold air. Szymon, chained up to a tree watched in terror as his beloved town was destroyed, was wiped out, was erased from existence, replaced by the Yellow and Black flag of the Reich. At last Peter the Wrathful walked up to the poor man. “Now who was it who did not accept my authority?!” the Monster proclaimed as he brandished his bloody streaked sword…..

The doomed city awaits Peter the Wrathful’s judgement

Chapter II- Magdeburg
    Gottfield was an entirely different man from his distant relatives: Peter the Wrathful and Ruprecht the Brave. Although he was accustomed to show *some* dread whenever he emerged victorious from battle he usually met it with a sigh of relief. Even for his age (16 years) and his surroundings he was abnormally caring towards everyone, his brethen, his countrymen whatnot. Nevertheless he followed the Kaiser’s commands and in 1106 he captured Magdeburg with relative ease, sacking the town for its wealth and resources. Poland, which was now in dire threat of ending up like the Danes and the Milanese had recently just learnt from their agents that Magdeburg was lightly defended by a young inexperienced general and a group of untrained militia and sent up a force of peasants and the woodsmen of the nearby areas to retake the city from the Holy Roman Empire.

The messenger ran as fast as he could. He hoped he could make it on time. He passed a great Cathedral and behind it was a small town, with wooden walls, barely protected by its garrison just like . “My liege!” the man shouted! Urgent news!” Gottfield was rudely awakened by the clamour and rushed outside his room. “What in God’s name is going on?! Can’t you see I’m a little busy. The messenger immeadiatley thought that the town was doomed but that was no matter; he could easily run away from the Kaiser’s eyes which were too focussed on destroying the Poles than inspecting his lowly servants. “Our watch towers have spotted a small Polsky army heading this way my liege! They will arrive within a few days sir!”

Gottfield was shocked. Even though he was so young, he could not stand the horror and the pain of warfare again yet he tried not to show this on his face. Gottfield dismissed the messenger and at once ordered the defences to be prepared. The militia were drilled. Swords and shields were prepared. And within a few weeks the day had come.

The Polish army arrives to take back what was theirs
    Captain Ryksa was an ambition-driven leader. Killing an enemy general in his opinion would be the ultimate goal he would achieve to become inscribed into the Polish royal family and this was an ample opportunity. Here was a young, inexperienced general who would definitely fail to defeat Poland on this day. He prepared to build the siege needed to take the city until suddenly a horn was blown from within the gates. “Prepare yourselves men!” He bellowed.
    Gottfield and his army prepare for the bloody sally
    Gottfield’s men poured out the gate, quickly aligning themselves in a straight row. Gottfield himself took full advantage of an open flank from where the battle could be quickly finished off with a mighty cavalry charge. In his first error of the day, he charged in an act of rashness and impatience, before most of his men had positioned themselves resulting in a failed charge on the Polish nobles. “RETREAT!” he screamed as he saw several of his men fall to the ground dead, men whom he had trusted with his life, men who had sworn to protect him, men who had trained with him, men who had fought with him. He tried not to think about it.

The first, failed charge…

Finally after positioning his men much more carefully than before, Gottfield sighed. He raised his sword to the heavens and shouted “For the Kaiser! For God! For the REICH!” and with that he ordered an all out assault on Ryksa’s confident men. Confident in the fact that they had better arms, better training and better blood than those Germanic barbarians.
    Gottfield raises his sword to the heavens trusting all his actions in God and the Reich
    “Give them a volley! KILL THEM!” Ryksa commanded his archers. “Men! Get ready! God is on OUR side today and we shall take what is rightly ours!” The Polish white and red flag blew in the slight wind. His men agreed with their loud cries as they put up their shields and weapons.

The Polish archers fire their fire arrows to knock out their foe’s morale
    But nothing could stop the charge of Gottfield’s men desperate to save their town from the hands of the enemy. The enemy’s arrows bounced off his men’s shields though a few met a fiery death before even landing a touch on the enemy. The dark clouds covered the battlefield creating an ominous feeling for both sides. The fighting had begun.

The two sides clash on the open frontal flank
    Gottfield himself finally trampled over the Polish nobles who had killed Kraus and Dietrich and a few others in the previous charge. “Revenge is mine!” Shouted the youth as he ploughed right through the left flank. “Attack him! NOW!” Ryksa cried out as he saw his advantage taking shape. Gottfield was trapped. He was trapped by Ryksa’s Polish nobles on his front, and by his men at the back who were to busy getting slain and butchered to care about their irrational general. He had to make a decision, and fast as Ryksa charged at him. “ONWARD MEN!” ordered Gottfield, an ironic command in Ryksa’s eyes since the general turned around at galloped back at his men. “The coward! He will die!” Ryska shouted as his men chased afterwards. However after a few seconds they had realised their mistake.

The bloody melee continues with the Poles not unable to see what is coming towards their back flank
    Ryksa had never anticipated that such a fool would act so different to what he had expected. He had planned that the knave would actually attempt to escape and thus be smothered by Polish arms and attacks, an infallible plan he thought. But unusually, Gottfield had attacked his battle-hardened troops from the back which were actually winning the Reich’s militiamen. This would be the pinnacle error and Ryksa immediately realised this. “Turn around you fools! TURNM AROUND!” Alas this was too late. In one of Gottfield’s more impressive actions, the charge crushed the unarmoured Polish woodsmen, their axes never getting the chance to bite into the horses’ flesh. The doomed Polish soldiers either died fighting Gottfield’s well-trained bodyguard or fled the battle hoping to escape the general. “The dishonour…O the dishonour”-Ryksa muttered as the ambitious captain ran as fast as he could. “The King would not want to here this…”

The bloody battlefield, soaked with the blood of the noble blood of the Poles and Germans
    “Chase after them! Capture them all! Heinrich would be indeed pleased with this victory” commanded Gottfield as he galloped towards Ryksa. “Give up or be slain!” Ryksa new his end would come soon. He turned around and prepared for his last seconds of his life. At least he would die in front of the gates of a Cathedral. As Gottfield’s men galloped through his squad, the prize was knocked to the ground wounded, easily captured as he struggled to move on the grassy field. He watched, dazed, as his men were captured, others were simply driven to the nearby river where they drowned. He could not stop but feel a great sense of the end of Poland.

Ryksa lies dazed on the ground, watch as the remnants of his army are captured or butchered
    Gottfield gathered the 400 men left of his militia army, battle hardened by this decisive victory and addressed them, “God has proven to us that it is Heinrich’s destiny, our people’s destiny and God’s destiny that the world will be lead by German might and supremacy!” Yet the young man only felt remorse and sorrow for what had happened. So many of his friends, brethren, and countrymen had perished throughout his whole life. As he looked towards the cathedral outside his town he could only think of the blood and sweat that had corrupted the entire Europe, a plague that was caused by the power hunger of a single individual. He vowed never again to put his own countrymen and brethren through the same ordeal again…

“And soul by soul and silently her shining bounds increase,
    And her ways are ways of gentleness and all her paths are peace.”
    (I Vow to Thee my Country [Thaxted])

To be continued….

Yep that’s the 2nd instalment of “Outskirts of an Empire.” I tried to be as subtle as I can when regarding teh personalities of Gottfield and Peter the Wrathful (Gottfield had the trait personal loss. U can guess what Peter had...) So once again I hope you all enjoyed it and comments and advice will be greatly appreciated. The 3rd instalment will be coming out soon featuring Emperor Heinrich himself! Until then enjoy!
    Last edited by Ippius; February 10, 2007 at 05:28 PM.

Hex Khan's Avatar Oooooh Yeeeaah!!

Default Re: Outskirts of an Empire-Chapter 2

Good work Ippius, this one is so much better than your previous, there isnt really much that i can really think about asking you to improve on, you've pretty much got it to the letter, background, character charisma, good battle summary skills and not to mention some very good pixs, good stuff looking forward to reading the updates
    Historical Reenactor and Proud of it
    Winner of Best AAR Writer Award 2007

i rly RLY like this AAR. good job

Very many thanks for the compliments. Keep posting comments though as I would really like to perfect my AAR skill further.

some adivce and a bit of a nag, now and again when theres alot going on in your battles and you want to start taking pixs, i say you should pause the game (if you dont already) deselect your units with enter, and keep your mouse cursor from the unit also deleting any pop ups tend to help,

nothing worse than having absolute chaos interupted by the green arrow orbs, unit info display and pop ups. not to mention the little arrow that will show at either side of the screen indecating where your currently selected squad is. thats about all i can of nagging you with...

have fun and keep up the good work ^_^

wow GG

Very good work !
    As your emperor would say : "Wunderbar !"
    Nice pix as well, even though Hex Khan is right, you should pause and unselect the units before making a screenshot.

yeh I know the business 'bout deselecting units but unfortunately I was quite muddled up at times and forgot to do it...and I didn't want to waste the pic...But yeh thanks for the advice

I know the feelig, happened a few time to me too looking forward to the update

yah, making aars can take a while...

Quote Originally Posted by parvus View Post
    yah, making aars can take a while...
    Currently I'm doing the next one. it'll be ready by probably next week. I won't spoil it for you but Emperor Heinrich is in it as well good ol' Ruprecht the Brave.

Im wondering, seeing as how Parvus and Ippius joined the forums 2 days apart, have almost identical avatars, and post similar things as each other in the same threads so often one after another, and have almost identical post count... are you guys the same person?

Retired moderator of TWC
    | Under the patronage of Atterdag

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier View Post
    Im wondering, seeing as how Parvus and Ippius joined the forums 2 days apart, have almost identical avatars, and post similar things as each other in the same threads so often one after another, and have almost identical post count... are you guys the same person?
    You know i've been wondering that for a few days now myself Garnier, either that or their like twins or something who share the family pc on a rota their always seen on the same thread saying almost the same thing...

*dun dun dun*

*double post*
    my bad

we're not twins... not at all...

You guys are very perceptive
    But I'll give u one hint...NO we are not the same person. That would be too annoying to manage