Thread: The Battle of the Desert Wind: a Long Road French AAR

Default The Battle of the Desert Wind: a Long Road French AAR

It is the year 1108. A dark war has brewed over the countries of Europe. However there is one country that stands out as the greatest, largest and richest of them all: la Royaume de France. Despite its turbulent beginnings, France visibly dominates Europe, reaching the borders of the Heiliges Römisches Reich and the Kingdom of England, destroying Milan on the way. Fez and Marrakech had also been taken as the jewels of successful crusades. The borders of France even reached Cairo, Alexandria and Qulzum. Famed and noted generals of bravery and strength were born and raised from this situation. One such was Perrin Gassou le Chivaleresque.

Although born from a noble and honourable father, Perrin had humble beginnings. Often labelled as a brat when he was young, lacking the leadership and intelligence to wage war, the French nobles decided to give him one last chance. He was ordered to join the crusade against the mighty Fatimid Caliphate. In a few years, he managed not only to capture Cairo, but Alexandria as well. His fame spread fast over France. Until now there had been no general that could match le Roi, Louis le Terrible. However, the noble knight of virtue was soon to be tested…

It was a blazing afternoon. “Juste comme un jour typique en Egypte… [just like a normal day in Egypt]” thought the hardy Perrin. He had been sent to establish a watchtower nearby the settlement of Quzlum, and decided it was wise to rest in an oasis. Suddenly a foreign, barbaric horn interrupted the dry desert wind. “Les Egyptiens arriven!” cried his loyal bodyguard, “Que devions nous faire notre seignieur?” But they already knew his answer, and they mounted their valiant steeds and bore their adorned armour with religious zeal to their legendary commander, Perrin Gassou le Chivaleresque. Perrin, regarded by both his enemies and allies as a patron saint of all knights, then gave his awe-inspiring speech to rally his troops into fervent frenzy. A speech noone on that eventful day would forget.

Perrin's inspiring speech

Most generals decent in their minds would have fled long ago, but Perrin, honourable Perrin, valiant Perrin, stood steadfast in the situation of peril. His 37 bodyguards were fighting against the 540 men of an Egyptian patrol.

The Horde...

On the other side of the battle was Captain Naguib. He knew the Fatimid Caliphate needed a decisive victory against the French. Killing the sole French general would crush the foreign French invasion. The opportunity was perfect. “Soon, I shall be adopted by the Caliph himself.”

“Montjoie Saint Denis!” cried Perrin. “Preparez-vous mes camarades! On se met au dessus de la pente! [we will position ourselves above the slope]” He saw the two veteran squads of spear militia and the two experienced squads of archers. He knew what the humble spear and arrow could do.

The looming battle awaits...

“Charge!” ordered the Egyptian captain! “Une erreur de tactique monsieur” thought the French knight. “Chargons pour Saint Denis, mon Dieu et la Royaume de France! [Let us charge for Saint Denis, my God and the Kingdom of France]” exclaimed Perrin le Chivaleresque, as he pointed his silver blade towards the charging enemy captain.

Perrin orders his men to charge the enemy captain

The sides clashed. Pierre Dupont and Charles Clemenceau were quickly impaled on the sharp spears of the Egyptian captain’s retinue of spear militia. “Puissent-t-ils aller à la royaume des ciels [may they go to the kingdom of heaven]” prayed Perrin. In the chaos Captain Naguib was instanty marmalised against the royal lances of the French knights. As he lay dieing he uttered “We are lost…” but noone noticed.

The enemy captain's death from the noble French charge

“Faites une retraite mes amis!” ordered Perrin. They rushed to the other side of the hill, losing Martin Chevalier from hazardous enemy missiles. Once they regrouped Perrin reassessed the situation. Three of his men had been killed, and the enemy general’s spearman militia squad was in flight with eighty men left. The enemy’s morale was shattered. “Ils reviendront [they will return]” thought the commander. The enemy missile units moved too close and Perrin knew it was time to do the impossible. He made a swift charge against the archers.

The charge on the Egyptian archers

In the assault, another knight, Heliot Danton was killed. “Merde!” swore Perrin, forgetting that such a word wasn’t fit for such a noble of high esteem. However, French steel held out, and the archer squad fled, crushed the sheer immense force of France’s best. It was soon after that Perrin made a cunning charge against the second missile unit of the Fatimid Caliphate. And once again, the cowardice enemies fled, this time without any French casualties.

Perrin le Chivaleresque on the point of death

Stunned and disordered Perrin stood motionless. For once in his life he was stuck for what to do. His heavy wounds took their toll, and he didn’t notice the untouched enemy spearmen charging at him. But just then, a miracle occurred. Without even touching the squad, the spearmen fled! So awestruck and stunned by the magnificent figure of Perrin le Chivaleresque, that they would have rather fled with their lives than fight with their 120 men against his 34 knights. And thus one Egyptian squad remained, the rallied Egyptian captain’s spearmen. But this too, was quashed without a single loss on the French side.

One by one the archers are crushed

Hence, the bloody massacre started. Unable to keep up with the speed of French cavalry, the Fatimids were obliterated utterly and completely.

The enemy is utterly beat

Dieu a pris le parti de nous aujourd’hui. [God was on our side today]” he muttered as tears sprung from his eyes from the grief of losing four of his most loyal comrades. “N’oubliez pas de ce jour messieurs! N’oubliez pas! [Don’t forget this day men…]” cried Perrin to his surviving bodyguards in the dry desert wind and sand as they stood in front of the graves of those four valiant dead.

That’s my first AAR! I hope u enjoyed it. Any serious advice and suggestions are welcome! There's some glitch with posting the site, meaning i cant even c my cursor, and i cant put titles directly under the pics.

Default Re: The Battle of the Desert Wind: a Long Road French AAR

I actually love the French excerpts! It adds a lot to the battle report. Perrin must be a beast of a general...

Nicely done, dude.
    We want more.

10 in chivalry ? I assume your 373 prisonners are still breathing ? :-)

"Montjoie Saint Denis !"

well... they attacked again... thanx. im gonna probably do another one for an ambush

Adrian's Avatar Campidoctor

nice AAR man you tell a good story

The landscape at the end is quite spectacular. However I would have really liked to see some pics from the enemy's point of view.

Centurion-Lucius-Vorenus's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    In a cottage cheese cottage in Levittown, New york

Fantastic ! What mods are you using ?

the long road v1.08 methinx

Town Watch's Avatar Domesticus

whoa! that's a nice battle!
    "What do I feel when I kill my enemy?"
    -Recoil-

Uber uber general....I want him...

I currently have this sick french bastard as my king, he was my original faction heir from the beginning of the campaign, now hes the king 10 dread about 8 command... Hes now about 54 though, soon dead

I have plans for his successor though, a promising 16 year-old noble from Rheims, he has no piety or chivalry to speak of, but he has 6 command!
    Truly worth some... tutoring... in the arts of execution
    -Recoil-

U know whats really annoying. Sending a dreaded general (lke 8 dread) on a crusade, succeeding it and then watching as his dread drops to 5. Really really heartbreaking

yea, but luckily I have found ways to counter this in:

Make all your armies join the crusade right before you are certain, that you will conquer the target next turn. It matters not whether the actual crusader armies capture the target settlement, so you could just abandon that crusade before capturing the settlement, As long as you actually have other crusader armies within the ongoing crusade too. The crusade will still end succesfully.

Your king who abandoned will not get much of command points, but he could eventually find holy relics like Spear of Longinus or good retinue characters.

The target just has to switch sides into christian hands to end the crusade: I haven't tried, but I suppose you could just demand the target settlement through diplomacy, thus ending the crusade bloodlessly.

If your (dreadful)king is leading the army that abandoned teh crusade, then he should have good authority points too, so that your troops won't abandon you.
    -Recoil-

Thanks. ill make sure Ill do that next time...

most of my generals r chivalrous anyway...