Thread: Bethesda goes nazi

Default Bethesda goes nazi

For the fans of Star Trek Games, and possibly the upcoming Fallout game and generally about Bethesda's behavior against fansites that dares to criticize their horrible new Star Trek game "Legacy"- or matter effect any of their games.

Read this:

Following news of Bethesda getting into a fight with the biggest Star Trek Gamers site over the bad reception of Legacy and STG's open criticism of the game and Bethesda consequently blacklisting the site, we at NMA decided this is as good a chance as any to both help another site that's (allegedly?) being maltreated by a publisher, remind people who forgot about RPGCodex being blacklisted that this is what Bethesda does and possibly get some hints about our own future.
    read the whole thing (it's worth it, trust me)

http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=34698

and then read this:

http://www.startrek-gamers.com/forum...pic.php?t=2444
    http://www.startrek-gamers.com/

made front page news also on beth's "good old friend" the RPG codex, which was blacklisted a long time ago, due to their criticising review of Oblivion:
    (down the second article:
    http://www.rpgcodex.com/
    http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=17295

If you'd like to know more about the game, here is a list of reviews:
    IGN - 59%
    GameSpy - 40%
    "the worst game ever"

Anyway, as you all know, it's not the first time Bethesda blacklisted a site for daring to criticize their games. Let's hope that more people will speak against such tactics instead of staying silent. So, if you have something to say on this matter, Pete Hines would love to hear from you: phines@bethsoft.com

All I have to say is, that this is another "welcome back" similarly to Activision and their Rome:Total War - fan handling, except this is worse.

Fallout has been widely anticipated, but if Beth continues his Nazi ways of handling the fans, then they can kiss their arse goodbye very soon and not to mention that the Fallout fans "might" get highly critical against the old franchise, and if Bethesda throws another blackball like this, I think It's all over for them and they better of try to live off from whatever savings they got left from the Elder Scrolls series.

interesting quote from the post:

It is also now starting to appear that Bethesda's own board's are becoming pro STGU and anti STG due to the questionable actions of some of the STGU supporting moderators of that official board whom Bethsoft themselves invited to moderate, knowing full well the 4 year ongoing history between STG and STGU. At this point in time I would like to point out that not one of the STG affiliates or STG staff have been asked to moderate in the official boards, only STGU people since Bethesda deem STGU a "safe site" which falls under Bethesda's own rules...basically Bethesda is trying to control the fansites, they never guessed on one thing though...that STG has outlasted the 4 previous publishers...possibly contributed to the downfall of Activision as publisher and STG will still be around when CBS eventually decide to not renew the contract with Bethesda...making them the 5th publisher STG as a site has outlasted.

STG's central forum gets more guest users than Bethesda's own official forum per day. It's a PR war between STG and Bethesda. Activision tried the same trick with STCD in 2001/2 to get us to "tow the company line"...they lost.
    Last edited by HorseArcher; February 09, 2007 at 01:25 AM.

Giorgos's Avatar Deus Ex Machina

Default Re: Bethesda goes nazi

agreeeeed.....legacy was one of the worst pieces of coding i have ever touched.
    i hope my hopes aren't burned to ash with fallout 3 because i have been waiting for it since i finished 2(so many years ago).
    ps: blacklisting sites for posting negative commentary.....tsk....gestapo tactics will help them sell more games is that it now?

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

While I dislike publishers doing this, I have doubts about whether STG "contributed to the downfall of Activision as publisher." That seems pretty far fetched.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Shigawire's Avatar VOXIFEX MAXIMVS

You're absolutely right about ST Legacy.. waste of code.
    But who the **** needs Star Trek Legacy when we got Infinity:QFE?
    ------------------------------VOXIFEX MAXIMVS-------------------------------
    ------PROUD PARENT OF THE EUROPA BARBARORUM VOICEMOD-------

"To know a thing well, know its limits. Only when pushed beyond its tolerances will its true nature be seen." -The Amtal Rule, DUNE

Spartan's Avatar Divus
    Patrician

Nothing new here. Been down this road a couple times in the past - sweet memories.
    "Consular" Spartan, Vassal of Siblesz
    Lord of lt1956, & Vercingetorix, Founder House of Spartae
    §§TWC's Father of Modding§§ §§ RulersoftheSea.com §§
    "The greatest pain a man can suffer is to have knowledge of much, & power over nothing" - Herodotus

Fabolous's Avatar Power breeds Arrogance

Goes Nazi? Bethesda has been nazi for awhile. They've been doing all they could to silence anyone who criticizes their games for as long as I've been a gamer.

Afterall, how can someone not think well of a game before buying it if everyone who they see comment on it is favorable? :hmmm:
    tBP knows how to handle a sword. -Last Crusader

Under the Honorable Patronage of Belisarius
    Formerly Under the Patronage of Simetrical
    Proud Patron of Lusted, Rome AC, Solid, and Dirty Peasant

Jeff Gerstmann should totally blow this open and show Bethesda whos the daddy.

Kushan's Avatar Artifex

Well Bethesda hasn't exactly had a good run with game lately. If I would have known about all the problems Bethesda was having with its other franchises, I might have seen this coming. I used to hang around the Elder Scrolls forums, both the official and the fansites. Bethesda lost alot of the old "fanboys" as we were called, when Oblivion was released. To alot of us it was a real disappointment.

Lastly, as someone once said, it will take the modders to save what is left of the Star Trek: Legacy game. Here is a little teaser trailer (made by me) showcasing the workd done so far by the Chris Jones Gaming team on the Legacy Ultimate Universe Mod...
    Modders seem to be having to fix ALOT of games the last few years.

Kushan
    Under the patronage of Silver Guard

Shigawire's Avatar VOXIFEX MAXIMVS

I'm very glad Creative Assembly got out from the oppressive grip of Activision, and didn't go for Electronic Arts either. I've had a very positive image of Sega after CA changed. Now they are more open about bugs, patches and modding.
    ------------------------------VOXIFEX MAXIMVS-------------------------------
    ------PROUD PARENT OF THE EUROPA BARBARORUM VOICEMOD-------

"To know a thing well, know its limits. Only when pushed beyond its tolerances will its true nature be seen." -The Amtal Rule, DUNE

Sega has been good. No denial. while I was staff, I was regularly contacted by either email or msn by a dev or a representative about various news and even help for modding.

I can give you another example. Egosoft released the X-games , and while it's not everyone's favorite and despite mixed reviews, they go out on their forums (I have been there) and post topics such as "ok guys, we know this broken and thanks for pointing it out, we'll fix it, but we want to hear also what you think".
    That is how you gain fans and fans that will stay loyal to you, because they feel that they aren't just left to rot, after their 40 dollar purchase.

Such a company can even manage to ship a broken piece of ****, and -since fans know they will listen - they will still buy and provide feedback to help to fix.

Unfortunately, It's a dying breed of honorable service, since all the electronic software giants (EA, MS) managed to buy or run small companies out of business and they are all full of themselves, they think they can do whatever the **** they want and even take pot-shots at certain people who happen to have an opinion that might be not worshipping their software in every word.

Microprose - Digital Anvil - Mindscape - Interactive Magic -SSI - Accolade -

Where are they now?

EA was something that was just sitting in the grass flat an low, like a big cow dropping back in the day, because it was competition, what drove the companies to make better games than the other, not greed or leaching money away with garbage (since no competition people will buy it) games.
    Last edited by HorseArcher; February 11, 2007 at 01:34 AM.

deRougemont's Avatar Yeoman

This is sad. The corporate guys are reading way too much Sun Tzu and Machiavelli. Using coup-like military tactics may work when pushing over smaller game developers, but those same tactics have the opposite effect when it comes to using them on their customers. Talk about biting the hand the feeds you...

Yeah, Micropose. Remember "Fields of Glory", the Napoleonic RTS from the early 90's? That game was way ahead of its time. We need smaller companies that focuses on satisfying the consumer.