Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Music Mod

Default Music Mod

I would like to develop a music mod for this with permission from the creator, creators and contributors. I pretty much have a full set of sound editing software, I don't actually propose that I compose the music (lord knows I don't have the time for that and I am not a composer) but rather take popular music selections from our era, providing the proper copyrights and album and where to buy information if the track is liked (they do this on music sites all the time) and develop it for this mod. Before someone says 'Legal' stuff to me, I will put my email in the readme should a performing artist somehow need to request for the song to be removed. However I don't see that happening since I will only be selecting songs you can download free and that are able to be previewed for promotion to their full album.

Either way there are thousands of music mods for other games not giving props to creators I am just proposing I make something decent for this mod, because it is turning into my favorite. All I request is I will need a hoster and perhaps someone to develop a self installer for it (exe) as well.

Let me know, if you say no I'll just make it for myself.

By the way, my selections will be what I consider modern classical, not too far from the original soundtrack with Rome, only with a more epic feel.
    Last edited by icyvoid; February 08, 2007 at 06:47 PM.

Default Re: Music Mod

Looking forwards to hearing this!

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

I have been working on this, but gladly yield to a willing contributor. Also, I have found that the only way to get the new units all speaking is to remove 'events.dat' and have a music mod. Do you think it would be possible...this is asking a lot, but...to have the Legions identify themselves as who they really are? I have them saying 'Legionary first cohort' and 'Legionary cohort', or just 'cohort'. But it would be just another touch of class if you could make 'Legio V Alaude' say: "Fifth Alaude first cohort!"..or the like. I know which file it is if you don't.

Also, it would be necessary to add all the units who currently don't identify themselves, and the new ones.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

To achieve what your looking for you would need someone from across the net to act as the independant voice actor, then I could improve upon his voice. It would require a completely silent environment and an EXCELLENT mic. What your talking about I am sure CA didn't pre record.

I have actually modded for sounds prior, except the mod that I worked on is dead and it was for a jk3 modification. It was much simpler on the modified quake engine and I have no idea about the CA engine except bits and pieces but I can learn.

First thing is first though, a good music mod.

----------------------------------------

I have an assorted selection so far of potential music, rather than just do stuff I would 'like' to hear I would like some input. I'll be choosing the best mix possible. I would just like to have some replies for potential artists.

Examples would be: Hanz Zimmer, ES Posthumus... etc etc..

Anyone want to recommend anything? Any artists? If it fits the 'Roman' feel it might be added.

Post some replies and let me know.. I am about to compile 2 versions.

Double post merged - Tyr
    Last edited by icyvoid; February 12, 2007 at 03:32 PM.

Patrician

I would give you recommendations...but alas, musical taste is so varied. I would appreciate that you be creative, since you seem to be a 'muscial person', and guide us. I can say that I downloaded Riczu's 'trace sonore', or whatever, for RTW, and really liked a lot of the music in it. And, I had thoughts of 'Enya' type music for the barb strat music...something gallic\celtic..you know.
    For Rome, I think most people prefer something GRAND and EPIC.....it's hard to tell. Tastes vary. Just give it a shot, and be prepared...cause music is like religion. You may feel 'crucified' if somebody doesn't like something...but hey, who cares. Let them make one then. Go for it. CREATE!!
    Roma Surrectum is an effort to take RTW to a 'next level'....so create a music package to take there.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

David Marshall: Somnia Imperii
    www.ancestral.co.uk/romanmusic.htm

this authors CD has some nice sounds and his voice would be a good one for such additions.Good Luck.

regards,

Tankbuster's Avatar Analogy Nazi

I remember that you could upload your own music in vanilla 1.0. Perhaps you can make something to still make it possible now?
    The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath
    --- Mark 2:27

Atheism is simply a way of clearing the space for better conservations.
    --- Sam Harris

♔Jean-Luc Picard♔'s Avatar Domesticus

i am no music critic but i remember the RTR platinum 1.7 had a beautiful vocal for their credits that would sound good for background music on the menu screen. i dont know about other people's thought on that but this is just my 2 cents.

Skandranon Rakshae

It is my great honour to have my poem Farmer in the Scriptorium here.

And, I had thoughts of 'Enya' type music for the barb strat music...something gallic\celtic..you know.
    Clannad has some good music of this sort also, and some of Lisa Gerrard's solo stuff is perfect (I think that's the vocal that RTRPE used).

For a more eastern flavor, Dead Can Dance has some great instrumental stuff.

If we can just grab anything, a great source are the 'Hearts of Space' radio shows, which you can find on any P2P network; they usually have themes, so for example they have one with Armenian music, one with Persian, good ambient stuff, etc.

Thanks for the suggestions and I have noted them. I am actually spending a few hours a night doing this. I've dug up artists people have never heard of.

Just making sure it's done right, and with that 'epic' feel. Main focus will be for Roman campaign/battle. However I came across a few tracks that just screamed... Sarmatian to me for some reason. I know the engine has Roman/Barbarian/Eastern? tracks available. I was wonder how hard the engine would be to actually edit or add/edit the songs for a particular faction like the Sarmations or the Greeks?

I'll do some research. This is actually turning into a project, which doesn't bother me though, I love the mod. It'll be nice to contribute.

Icyvoid, can you take a look at this as well. You may or may not have read my thread about inlcuding some bits of "Mars" from the Planets suite - could be suitable for in-battle music.

I did some work on this a month or so ago, but haven't had time to take it further - chopped it up into some bits and looped one or two sections. To me it just speaks of Roman armies marching:

Anyway, see what you think - have uploaded the whole thing plus some loop sections and a few other bits:

http://files.filefront.com/Marszip/;.../fileinfo.html

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

Good material. I can use some of it. Is the Mars.mp3 the source of the other music you have looped and spliced?

I am ALMOST done gathering sources for a music mod. After I am done a-lot of splicing and editing will be done over a large scale, not to include amplification and deamplification as needed. Thats the only thing that really bothers me... artists basically all across the world make their music at different volumes and equaling them out is a pain. I don't want the person playing Roma Surrectum to all the sudden have to turn down the volume because of a sudden change in pitch of a new song.

Heres a pictuer of the sound software I am using. If you into sounds and editing this is an invaluable tool, trust me.

What app is that, icyvoid?

Download Blaze Media Pro, it's just a small part of the package.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

You can adjust the level of music in the descr_sounds file, to a certain extent, at the top of each culture section there is a setting for volume.

Although; in your sound editing program look for an effect called 'normalising' or 'wave form normalising'....there should be something like that, then you should be able to affect a group of mp3's so that the highest and lowest volumes are consistent.

The other freeware ap that's good is Audacity.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by halie satanus View Post
    You can adjust the level of music in the descr_sounds file, to a certain extent, at the top of each culture section there is a setting for volume.

Although; in your sound editing program look for an effect called 'normalising' or 'wave form normalising'....there should be something like that, then you should be able to affect a group of mp3's so that the highest and lowest volumes are consistent.
    Thanks for the tip!

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

If anyone else has an artist they think would sound good for this mod speak up. I have about 20 songs in the coffer, could always use suggestions as I weed out some of them to see what flows together. The more I have, the better.

Of course don't post anything like 'The theme from the Matrix!' or 'Jay-Z' heh....

What about the music from the movie Gladitor?

Hanz Zimmer composed that by the way, he is one of the artists on the list.

Still working on it.. was hoping to have something today... not sure if I will though. By the way, does anyone know how I can get ahold of a self extracting exe for this thing? I really don't want people to be confused installing it.
    Last edited by icyvoid; February 12, 2007 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Updating Info

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast