Thread: LTC makes me kill prisoners.. :)`

Papal_Knight's Avatar Biarchus

Default LTC makes me kill prisoners.. :)`

in the stock game, offering a ransom was akin to killing them, as the AI never had enough cash on hand at the end of a turn to pay a ransom. so, you could have them defacto killed and not suffer any hits to your chivalry.

however, now with all the nations flush with cash (most of the time, and in most situations), if you offer the ransom they pay it! doh! so, in some heated (and close) frontier battles, where every man counts in a turn-after-turn struggle, I find the need to execute the priz! not happy about it really.

international rep is plummeting. dread increasing. sucks. but, what you can you do?
    Last edited by Papal_Knight; February 08, 2007 at 01:08 PM. Reason: schpelling

Tuitio Fidei et Obsequium Pauperum

Default Re: LTC makes me kill prisoners.. :)`

That really sucks But I`m playing LTC now played campaigns with Hungray, Russia, Poland and France And it never happened to me cause in LTC 70% of the time they refuse to ransom in Vanilla it`s about 95% of the time because of the lack of money like you have stated. So I don`t know what to say I guess that each campaigns are different and that to my hears sound very good means great replay value
    TIME TO DIE!!!! Proud Son of Viking Prince

Arksa's Avatar Centenarius

Does AI accept ransom every time they have the money to afford it?

mr.blonde's Avatar Tiro

On the contrary i believe that this feature with the ransom paid is fantastic, for the obvious strateging and roleplaying reasons . That is and among many others reasons why i play only LTC, to have a challenging and worthy decision making campaign.

Walk softly and carry a big gun

HAH.

I am playing on VH/VH Denmark and just finished a major battle against HRE.
    In the end I had their King and a family member captured with +x random units.
    Their wealth was boundless when I visited them with a diplomat the same turn... the ransom was around 10 000 and they declined.

And I was hoping for a peacefull solution to the conflict... now the damn bastards are on to something!
    ---------------------------
    zYn

I was not complaining about the feature in general fellas, as I like LTC in all its facets. I was just kind of posting it in a "gee whiz, what can you do?" shrug-your-shoulders kind of way.

last night, I was just ransoming and they paid about 90% of the time. oh well. my global rep shot back up as a result so, there was a good part.

Well I always kill em. I don't want them coming back in a future battle! Besides I don't need the cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Foreign Fruitcake View Post
    Well I always kill em. I don't want them coming back in a future battle! Besides I don't need the cash.
    I hear ya, but check you global rep! killin' the priz really brings it down.

Foederatus

Ditto mate. This is TOTAL WAR after all! I do sometimes place my mouse over the options, however, just to hear their pleas before I excute them of course!

Quote Originally Posted by Papal_Knight View Post
    I hear ya, but check you global rep! killin' the priz really brings it down.
    What is international rep and how do I check it? I wasn't even aware of it.

EDIT: OH CRAP... I just worked it out. My rep is despicable! Is that why my allies won't help me when I ask em?
    Last edited by Foreign Fruitcake; February 09, 2007 at 11:15 AM.

Actually I like dread. So I have no problem with killing prisoners.
    The only time I'll try to randsom is when I captured a bunch of bottom-end units. Top-end units I rather not meet again.

And besides, who needs the money anyway? Sacking some Islamic cities (I'm playing England) also dioes the job. Just sack and destroy the infrastructure, gives you lots of money and you can offer the now worthless region as an even more worthles gift to Mr. Pope or one of your allies.

Giving Jerusalem to the Pope after sacking and destroying the place was fun. In two turns time Egypt reconquored it, and the whole western Catholic world was at war with the Islamic fractions.

Germanicus75's Avatar Domesticus

EDIT: OH CRAP... I just worked it out. My rep is despicable! Is that why my allies won't help me when I ask em?

And you'll probably find war declared on you even by neutral factions fairly soon...

Lol i dont mind excecuteing prisoners infact i have no problem extermenateing women and children really...if they get in my way then the hang man will have to get REALLY drunk. The only reason i would ever offer ransom or release is if i HAD to have allies that actually helped me in war ie. Im turky and i have to unite the moors and fatmids (egypt) to fight against the spainish rampage across the desert and i could've just conqured all the desert for uniting but i really couldn't be bothered on a 7 front war with russia, spain, byzantines, mongols, tirmids, ventinians, portigal, and france even though it would be challangeing i didn't excactly have the resorces yet to initiate a very brutal 7 front war....i feel like germany in WWII
    I'm really too lazy to add a pic (for now) so just settle on this you swine And if you find my posts helpful or funny add +rep

Space Voyager's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Papal_Knight View Post
    in the stock game, offering a ransom was akin to killing them, as the AI never had enough cash on hand at the end of a turn to pay a ransom. so, you could have them defacto killed and not suffer any hits to your chivalry.

however, now with all the nations flush with cash (most of the time, and in most situations), if you offer the ransom they pay it! doh! so, in some heated (and close) frontier battles, where every man counts in a turn-after-turn struggle, I find the need to execute the priz! not happy about it really.

international rep is plummeting. dread increasing. sucks. but, what you can you do?
    Nothing and that's just the way I like it. I know you're not complaining in a "it sucks" kinda way, but what you describe as a problem is a very good thing IMO. Before you were able to abuse the "ransom" feature to kill them without penalties, now you can't (so much, when the faction is on their knees they still won't be abe to afford it).

If you want to kill them, bear the consequences. If you need money, ransom them.

EDIT: It would be nice if not all of them were given to the opposing faction if you release the prisoners though. To simulate that some wouldn't be ready to fight you again since you had mercy to let them go for free.
    Last edited by Space Voyager; February 12, 2007 at 05:32 AM.

Taneda Santôka's Avatar Artifex

I always release the prisonners, except when there's a family member worth its money wich I ransom, but sending them home and seing them forced to come back, seing in their eyes the fear from knowing what will happen, well, I like it, and since my kingdom has now a good size, I'm generally defending strongpoints, and executing forces would be to easy : you defend well, kill everybody and run for the city, capture, sack and so on...
    That sounds borring, especially if the siege consists of YOUR full stack and THEIR two defending units; I'd rather have a worthy siege meating again the soldiers I freed, giving their last effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennus View Post
    Actually I like dread. So I have no problem with killing prisoners.
    The only time I'll try to randsom is when I captured a bunch of bottom-end units. Top-end units I rather not meet again.

And besides, who needs the money anyway? Sacking some Islamic cities (I'm playing England) also dioes the job. Just sack and destroy the infrastructure, gives you lots of money and you can offer the now worthless region as an even more worthles gift to Mr. Pope or one of your allies.

Giving Jerusalem to the Pope after sacking and destroying the place was fun. In two turns time Egypt reconquored it, and the whole western Catholic world was at war with the Islamic fractions.
    THAT is inspired genious. Just the ticket to help me out of my "Iraq War" in the Holy Land. Get everybody else involved!!

POPES ORDERS!