Thread: hoplite phalanx??

Default hoplite phalanx??

no hoplite unit (militia,normal,armoured,spartan,athenian) can use the phalanx formation..., how can i change that?¿

Default Re: hoplite phalanx??

Well the phalanx created a bug were hoplites were holding two spears so they removed it sorry.
    Here is the thread about it: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=79210
    Last edited by Kamos; February 07, 2007 at 08:56 PM.

another problem..... i just download the lastest patch, now athenian hoplites apear in all greek armys, incluiding egytp and selucids in custom battle.
    also i can't start the provincial or imperial campaing the game CTD every time after the loading screen

------------------------------------

ooo thats a shame.. :S but for the last half hour i been looking those things out and i find out how to change it anyway and all hoplites (exept the spartans that had those two spears bug) were doing well, the spears where a bit longer, but still shorter than all the other phalanx units... so hope that helps you, hoplite units with out phalanx are way easier to kill

Double post merged - Tyr
    Last edited by Tyr; February 08, 2007 at 04:04 AM.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by chachacha View Post
    ooo thats a shame.. :S but for the last half hour i been looking those things out and i find out how to change it anyway and all hoplites (exept the spartans that had those two spears bug) were doing well, the spears where a bit longer, but still shorter than all the other phalanx units... so hope that helps you, hoplite units with out phalanx are way easier to kill
    Please elaborate, if you would, on why they would be easier to kill without it?

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

imagine that the "X" are athenian hoplites, "O" are roman legionaries, and "|" are the spears...

When the unit is without phalanx formation the spears are faced up and the unit fights like any other infantry unit face to face, centimiter to centimiter, maybe some 50 centimiter because the first line of hoplites will use their spears:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Now when the unit uses the phalanx formation they don't fight like a normal infantry unit, instead they get bonus fightin face to face, because as you may have notice in battle the spears keep away the enemies because not only the first line, but the second third even the fourth will aim their spears foward and use them:

So it will cost for a foward attacking unit to reach the hoplites troops and when they engage a hand to hand swords fight with an hoplite soldier, the soldier behind him will replace him in the phalanx.
    But RTW is maked to win with every nation so everything has a weakness that can be greatly exploted, the weaknes of the phalanx usually is that while using the formation they will react slow to side or rear attacks making them much more weak from de the side and the back,.......
    thats why, i think they gave poor cavalary units and poor or no sword or short spear units to nations with hoplites, thats also why in hand to hand long spears like the macedonian ones are even weaker, but they had better cavalary.. of course thats what i think...... the think about the phalanx i have tested it miself, thats how i got to those results