Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fighting with the General

Default Fighting with the General

Every battle I come upon the decision of using my general in battle. Here are my rules:

-If the army levels are even then I will make my General ready to fight in case my army is losing
    -If I am bigger than the other army I do not fight with my general
    -If it is my faction leader I almost never fight
    -If I am smaller, I use my General but carefully (they advance on the backside of my army)

I take all these precautions because once my general is dead, the army starts panicking and becomes more vunerable to retreat

Comments?

Default Re: Fighting with the General

fighting with General..

1.) use him to massacre routed troops... good dread
    2.) don't like my faction leader but his son would be a good King. take King charge head on with his 65 cav into a massive 2000 man enemy instant death...
    3.)in a city send him out the side gate attack enemy from behind or seige engines..

4.) never not attack with him i like the dauntless and brave attributes and fearless....

if i am using someone i like lot and want to keep for sure.. use him to rout archers/crosswbowman then pull back to safety....

but number 2 is they best way to get rid of a faction leader...
    sometimes i wish we could ask other factions to assassinate our leader like the prince of their kingdoms sometimes ask you...
    Last edited by Duke Lysander; February 07, 2007 at 01:00 PM.

You have to take some risk with your generals or you won't gain some of the better traits (like brave/dauntless). You might even get some negative traits. I take all of my "field generals" and use them in combat extensively. They often perform the role of Heavy Cavalry and initiate the first charge into the incoming enemy ranks. You will lose a few of your generals, but they actually survive most of the time. In my most recent Turkish campaign, I've only lost 3-4 generals that I really wanted to keep by going through this method, and this is after almost 300 turns. Plus, your General units are sometimes crucial to determining the outcome of a battle. So don't be afraid to use them...just roll the dice and take some risk sometimes

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

It really depends on the situation at the time. I won't risk my general's life unless it's needed and absolutely worth it. If the battle is going in my favor, I'll keep my general back but if my main infantry lines are loosing morale, I'll have my general lead the reserves and make a strategic blow.

Normally my general is accompanied by other cavalry units, his "entourage". Cavalry units what win battles and I always try to make sure my general is part of that. I don't have them leading the charge like a crazy person but I'll use him and his entourage to break the backs of the enemy lines or deal that crushing blow that will most certainly cause a rout.

We're all familer with how cavalry should be used and I would hope most of you understand the risks behind certain charges (hitting the rear, flank, up a hill, against certain charges). Just make sure your general is conducting a charge in the safest and most deadly context.

All of my combat generals (not ones I stuck in settlements to govern) possess some sort of positive combat traits and every single one of them is brutally scarred. I hardly ever lose them too.

Generals cavalry own, in the early game you can completly ruin the AI by destroying it's armies with charges that do this:

About 300 kills, done by 33 men, in one charge, with one loss.

I used a diagonal charge, once it bites into the enemy line it plows along it killing all in it's path.

Using not necessarily a risky business.
    Firstly,you cannot overuse your general, as he is prone to affect the morale and coherency of your armies.
    As a King,I prefer them to be "management" men with acumen and traits for boosting the economy.
    However,your field Generals(particuarly Princes) must fight.
    Good methods to expose your Generals to combat without risking their lives include
    1.Engine assault
    Take out the crews of siege enignes and such
    2.'Thorn-cutting'
    Eliminating troops who cannot mount defense or counter-attack such as crossbowmen and arquebusiers.
    3.Specilisation
    Concentrate your Generals skills so he can gain traits to exemplify his command style,don't turtle with him,as he can sometimes easily turn the tide of a battle when among his men. NOTE:Soldiers in the immediate vicinity will be "inspired by the general's presence"
    4.Pivoter
    Where the line falters,the perimeter is breached or your troops are floundering,use your general to rally and assist them.
    Don't get bogged down

never ever get ur general surrounded. i ALWAYS use my general. i gained 2 gold chevrons from 3 silver in like a massive charge: several enemy squads bunched up together

I think theres like 3 games where my general didnt help me win. Like samuria, i kill hundreds easily I NEVER stop engaging with him until theres like 5 knights left. I engage even pikemen and spearmen efficently, because they dont move when I charge them from behind! Just pull em back, theres no point in letting them stay for a few seconds. Watch out for 4 things tho;
    1. missile cavalry
    2. other heavy cavalry
    3. a large amount of light cavalry
    4. running through enemy flanks

i use them like normal heavyu cavalry.
    charge the flanks and messed up formations.
    your general has extra hit points so its pretty easy to keep him alive.

Elric von Rabenfels's Avatar The Devil Inside

I let my generalīs and my king fight alongside the army, I donīt like the Idea of Ruler sitting lazy on their throne while their soldiers fight to death for them. But I watch his health by checking how bloody his armor is, if he is wounded too hard I get him out of combat.
    - What can change the nature of a man?

I had a faction leader who was a ten star general and had about 8 or so hit point from his trait, three gold chevron on his unit.
    Nigh unkillable bastard, too bad he died of old age.

Whatever u do dont get the general surrounded. Much pain ensues...I suppose if he survives it, he becomes scarred. I stress IF he survives.

yea, thats normally what happens to him... but miraculously he always lives, despite he was fighting French Gendarmes, knights or being bombard by basilisk and crossbows.
    Guess that explains his "prophetic vision" trait or something... (God is looking after him)
    well he also has 8 dread, so people he fights break easier.
    and his name is "Kind Anthony the Scarred"

You talk about the scarred trait like its a bad one. More hitpoints make him more useful in later battles.

Irishmafia2020's Avatar Senator

I'm about fifteen years into a "Long Road" mod game and I have yet to be able to recruit any cavalry. Consequently my generals must fight... They are the cream of the nobility (warrior caste) anyway, and during this period of history Kings and generals had to earn their keep (no pun intended). I have lost a few though, but I treat them like an elite cavalry unit and throw them into the fight where needed.

the general is basically a unit of heavy cavalry. the scarred trait is bad... for the enemy

Sacc's Avatar Tiro

On the topic of generals:

1. What does the rally troops ability actually do in battles?
    2. How often do you use it, is using it to often a bad thing?
    3. Does this only effect friendlies nearby or your whole stack?
    Pentium C2Q 9550 OC'd at 3.4, nvidia 780i, 6gb ddr2 800 ram, EVGA 260 core216, OCZ 700 psu, Samsung 22"

I wish there was a way to have your general dismounted. I would really like the option to have my man fight on foot every once in a while.

Indefinitely Banned

I normally use him to flank the enemy along with the rest(if I have) of the cavalry units after the lines have smashed together.
    The things you mostly should watch out for:
    Missile troops
    Cavalry
    Getting too many infantry sourrounding your general
    Catapults/Cannons(the top killer of my generals when Im not careful)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast