Thread: Just a little progress report using 1.9 Beta

Default Just a little progress report using 1.9 Beta

Just thought I'd report my findings with the beta. Overall it's a very satisfying experience - but I'm sure things can be improved. Balance seems just about right, although I had some issues early on with Denmark rebelling at 1100 and catholic factions disappearing before 1200. The diplomacy still needs adjusting too! It's virtually impossible to ceasefire with neighbouring factions even when you have not physically attacked them OR are allied to their enemies.

I'm playing as England, and I'm trying to stay faithful to the pope. It's 1200.

Here is a jpeg of the map as of 1200. I have found it very difficult to expand successfully. It's better to raid, and let the settlement rebel in order to fund the growth and expansion of your empire. It's almost impossible otherwise. Funds are extremely tight. I am considered rich, with 27000. This as you know will not go far with the provinces I own.

As you can make out from the map, I have conquered Scotland, Wales and Ireland. I then moved east and conquered Stockholm and Oslo - these were owned by Poland at the time. I then crusaded South and attacked the Moors in Spain and North Africa. I took a beating quite early on as my settlements were spread far and wide. I have tried to focus my efforts on several major settlements like Cordoba, Caen, London and Stockholm, and let the others flounder somewhat. I simply cannot afford to build them up like I'd wish.

Interestingly Russia is really beginning to show some form. I can't wait to see how they deal with the Mongols when they arrive. :hmmm:

As you can see from the overview several catholic factions have been wiped out. It's unusual to see at such an early stage in the game - this may point towards some unbalancing.

This is my best general to date. A very successful crusader.

Unfortunately I think the Duke of Normandy will be laid to rest soon!

Default Re: Just a little progress report using 1.9 Beta

I think the passive AI is still a problem although I am playing at M/M. Look at how France has crusaded and progressed unusually fast. They are one of the most powerful factions in the game now, with full stacks of good quality armoured knights and heavy cavalry. But they do not attack Caen! Even though every other turn they try and spy on my settlement.

This leads me on to another potential problem - population growth. It is incredibly slow which I know is the idea but castles will not expand very quickly at all! Caen has 12000 and I do not know how long it will take to reach the next level. I may actually build all the units before being offered the chance to expand! For a game this slow that takes some beating

A further update to this. It's now 1215 and the Byzantines have almost reached the final hurdle! According to the pop up they have almost won the game. Quite incredible that so early on, the AI is blitzing through! What is the winning criteria for the AI just out of interest?

Either way that came out of the blue and I am in no position to fight my way to the top.

This could lead to some more problems with the mod - that the slow build times are crippling the economy and the low quality units make for a un interesting campaign. (as far as the human player is concerned). I don't know what to think really - but maybe the beta 2 will resolve this?

tornnight's Avatar Forum Bot

Unit balance is an issue with Beta 1 which will allow some AI factions to dominate over others in autoresolve.

Population growth has been increased as well. It is impossibly low for Beta 1.

Win conditions are the specific for the faction. They need to control the specific provinces stated in the Grand Campaign start screen.

Thanks for the feedback.
    "The first casualty when war comes, is truth." - Hiram Johnson
    Developer of The Long Road Modification

Quote Originally Posted by tornnight View Post
    Unit balance is an issue with Beta 1 which will allow some AI factions to dominate over others in autoresolve.

Population growth has been increased as well. It is impossibly low for Beta 1.

Win conditions are the specific for the faction. They need to control the specific provinces stated in the Grand Campaign start screen.

Thanks for the feedback.
    My pleasure tornnight I had a good time playing this campaign. Look forward to the second beta!

Interesting to see Russia so large in your game. In my current one, Poland beet them to the east end of the map taking most of what, in your game, is Southern Russian territory.

I'm wondering if, because Orthodox and Catholic factions are less likely to ally with this mod, if, when left as both AI, Russia and Poland aren't still "racing" to take these provinces? I'd like to see more examples of how those two factions fare but this might be another reason to kick up the rebel garrisons.

In my game as the Turks on H/H, the only thing that kept Novgorod from looking like it does in Phil's post is Hungary went straight east and took a line of provinces all the way to the Caspian. The AI definitely chooses to expand quickly into any nearby rebel provinces. Novgorod even managed to take Stockholm before the Danes could get there. They'll pay for that, though. When the Mongols arrive, they'll still be barely making it financially, unable to really upgrade any of those conquests, in order to field an army that might have a chance against the Horde. Having a lot of land provinces is much less lucrative than having a lot of sea provinces with ports. Novgorod is probably only surviving in my game or in Phil's because of the mod's built-in poverty mitigation for the AI.