Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help with IW's Map

Default Help with IW's Map

Hi everyone, I'm just after some advice:

When using Big Map Labyrinth (which I must say is excellent) as a base for my own map I get this error:

Just to clarify, I haven't had any problems or errors running an unmodified version of BML, so this error must be of my own making.

Code:
    16:09:33.593 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    16:09:33.593 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Dec  5 2006 version development ===
    16:09:33.671 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    16:09:33.750 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    16:09:33.828 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    16:09:33.937 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    16:09:34.000 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    16:09:34.015 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    16:10:17.140 [script.err] [error] Script Error in BigMapLabyrinth/data/world/maps/base/descr_regions.txt, at line 33, column 1
    Couldn't find region name 'Pakhai_Chal' in stringtable
    16:10:17.187 [script.err] [error] Script Error in BigMapLabyrinth/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 67, column 12
    could not create settlement at script line 67.
    Because my mod has an Aztec-like culture, the Ocean Tribes, I copied the entry for Tenochtitlan from vanilla, changed the region name to "Foinil_Island" and made all the appropriate changes to the other files so this name would be recognised, and indeed I now get no "could not find name in string-table" errors (ignore the Pakhai_Chal reference as I'm yet to add it to the requisite files). Instead I get the error above.

To further clarify, I'm not wanting to play as the Aztecs, but as the Russians, for whom I've added other settlements down the list, which will no doubt also have this error, but if I can fix this one I can fix the others. I've added the three settlements I've done so far in the same order in which they appear in the descr_regions.txt and in the same format (number of lines between entries etc.) as in the vanilla descr_strat.

I suspect I will need to add all the new regions I've made to descr_strat, but if I can get past this error (like I nutted out the "could not find settlement name in string-table" one) then I'll be right as rain.

If any more details are needed for a diagnosis, I'll provide them immediately. Also, I can post my descr_strat settlement entry if that will help, but it may be rather long on the page.

PS - I just thought I'd put in some images of my map and ask a few final questions. I'm posting only those maps which I would consider liable to cause the error.

Here is my height map (incomplete - no height data as yet):

Ground-Types (incomplete - I assume black will be fine as a place-holder value):

Regions (complete and edited to more accurately represent the finalised lakes of the hgt map):

Features (incomplete, but gives rivers and some cliffs):

And finally trade-routes (complete, but not necessarily correct/ed):

Now, my questions:

1. Is there a set water:land ratio in Medieval II, as I understand there was in Rome?

2. Should I be basing my height map on my region map for best results (I first made a template for my large files then shrunk it down and edited it to make my smaller files)?
    2a. Are my cities (especially on the islands) likely not to work with the placements as they are now?

3. Will ground-types data interfere with settlement/port placement (if I place "high-mountains" - 196, 128, 127 - /dense forest etc. where I've placed a settlement on my regions map will it cause an error)?

4. Are the comparative proportions of the maps uniform? e.g. are all small files (regions, features, trade-routes etc.) one size and all large files twice that size + 1 pixel on each axis?

Thanks a bunch,
    Ilsamir Lord
    Last edited by Ilsamir Lord; February 06, 2007 at 04:37 AM.

Default Re: Help with IW's Map

I actually posted like 3 hours ago, but the dumb computers at school didn't register it. Well, I know there is no water-land ratio maximum, so you should be fine. You are correct about the sizes, except disasters, map_roughness, and radar_map2 are only twice the size of map_regions. They do not have that extra pixel. Currently, for my map, I did nearly the exact thing you did to make the files, but I did it opposite. I made my map_regions first, then enlarged for the other, bigger ones, and then just edited. It's cool that we both did pretty much the same thing ! I've been watching your mod and I jope that you do get it working because it seems to be the only fantasy mod out there, and a good one, too. However, I have a question as well. How exactly does the sandbox mod work? Do I just insert my map.tga files into the data/world/base folder in order to see if it works?

EDIT: Sorry to bother again, but can anyone tell me how exactly map_trade_routes it done? I've noticed that in Ilsamir Lord's map_trade_routes, that they vaguely follow the shape of the continents. Once again, any help is greatly appreciated!

UBER SECOND EDIT: Ok, for your top error, did you perhaps mispell Pakhai_Chal in your desc_strat when you declare it? If so, that would take care of two of those errors, however I'm not sure about the other errors...Sorry...
    Last edited by Goatbuster3000; February 06, 2007 at 02:37 PM.

Thanks for those pointers GoatBuster. I'm glad to know there is no ratio limitation (that could have really screwed me )

Pakhai Chal is the fourth settlement on my list, and I haven't yet added it to descr_strat, descr_regions_and_settlement_names_lookup etc., so the error I'm getting for it is both reprable and expected. It was quite possible I'd mispelled it though.

As always, glad to help!

Ok, now I've added all my settlements and such to the descr_strat, lookups etc. files, I've double-checked the positions of settlements and ports (though how much leigh-way the game allows between map_heights, map_ground_types and map_regions, map_features etc. I don't know, and I still get the unspecified error crash.
    Last edited by Ilsamir Lord; February 08, 2007 at 06:06 AM.

This is hilarious... I've got the same exact mounted packs error that you have, Ilsamir Lord. I've been trying to add in my own map and this error is the only thing from keeping it from loading. Please, if anyone can help us, tell us how to fix this problem!
    Last edited by Goatbuster3000; February 08, 2007 at 04:47 PM.

Perhaps it has something to do with the level of error detection? That was a stab in the dark, but maybe the game only pulls itself up like that when it detects specific errors, and it wouldn't crash if it didn't. That sounds really stupid after reading it back, but oh well

Hmm, I thought that perhaps the mod folder just wasn't finding the mounted pack files, so I copied the ones from the main packs directory to see if it made a difference and it did. Just not a positive one. I got 6 more errors with bigmaplabyrinth in front of the mounted packs. So, all in all, I have no idea what the heck I'm doing :original:

Well, my error has now progressed I get the same unspecified error but now the game doesn't generate an rwm any more!!

What, may I ask did you do to get that? So I do not get the same error:original:

I just made sure none of my settlements were on top of rivers and such, moved a few of them off map_features interference, changed my heights data to be 1, 1, 1 for land instead of 0, 0, 0 and now it doesn't generate the rwm

Well, thank the maker, I'm back to where I started, but perhaps even slightly better off!

Code:
    15:49:29.234 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    15:49:29.234 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Dec  5 2006 version development ===
    15:49:29.343 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    15:49:29.406 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    15:49:29.484 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    15:49:29.593 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    15:49:29.671 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    15:49:29.687 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    15:50:03.375 [script.err] [error] Script Error in BigMapLabyrinth/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 67, column 12
    could not create settlement at script line 67.
    The beauty of the rwm returning is as a ray of divine grace from on high - well, perhaps, I'm yet to see such a thing, but I'm sure they're pretty close in awesomeness.

Now, if I can just get past this error I'll be done and dusted (that's foundationless optimism for you!).

Quote Originally Posted by Ilsamir Lord View Post
    3. Will ground-types data interfere with settlement/port placement (if I place "high-mountains" - 196, 128, 127 - /dense forest etc. where I've placed a settlement on my regions map will it cause an error)?
    I had an error with settlements on either high-mountains or low-mountains (I don't recall which it was) and I changed the surrounding terrain to Hills (128, 128, 64) and the error cleared up. My bet is that you can get away with changing only the tile the settlement is on, though I haven't tried that myself.

iirc there must be at least one tile of the three fertility types per region

Thanks, guys. I've now added the three requisite tile colours in ground_types, and I'm almost certain that no setlement will be on any interfering ground_types data. Is there a consistent way to equate the two sizes of file? i.e. I can't accurately compare regions (271x176) with ground_types (543x343) because they are operating at different scales and detail levels.

I'm still getting the could not create settlement error, which I understand can be caused by heights data being 1, 1, 1 instead of 0, 0, 0, but I can't change my height colours to be any higher than 0, 0, 0 or I get an unspecified error and the game doesn't generate an rwm.

Still, must keep a stiff upper lip.
    Last edited by Ilsamir Lord; February 10, 2007 at 11:01 PM.

An Update:
    I discovered that a number of my RGB values in map_regions matched and then corrected them. The error persists.

Should I perhaps have a different sea RGB value on my heights map as I keep getting an unspecified error when I change my land RGB from 000 to 111.

A second update for the day:

I changed the RGB of the two tiles which I assumed could be related to the settlement at line such-and-such (55 column 12 now) error from 000 to 111 and I am now told that:

Code:
    17:16:12.750 [script.err] [error] Script Error in BigMapLabyrinth/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 55, column 12
    You have chosen an invalid tile(0, 0) for the settlement of Darineth.
    It will mean not being able to reach this settlement and is a bug.
    For now we'll ignore it.
    17:16:12.750 [script.err] [error] Script Error in BigMapLabyrinth/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 90, column 12
    could not create settlement at script line 90.
    Both of which are interesting. The first error indicates that I've placed the settlement at 0, 0 - an impossibility if this refers to a coordinate - the second to the next settlement in my descr_strat file, indicating that I am now past the first couldn't create settlement (ccs) related error and have moved on to the next one.

I understand curious epic solved his "ccs" error by changing all his land mass to 111 instead of 000 in RGB, but for me this triggers a crash, an unspecified error and a failure to create an rwm file, in other words the map says "screw that".

Quite baffling. If anyone has had a similar error to the first on my list (referencing Darineth in this case) could they please inform me of it and if they have a solution to it? I think I saw that someone had this error (the invalid tile) but I'm not sure it was resolved...

Just a shot in the dark really, but try changing your heights from 0 or 1 to something more tangible like 32.

Well, that was worth a try, but it now seems that the addition of any non 000 gradient of grey will result in a crash, an unspecified error and a failure to generate a .rwm file.

Am I perhaps saving my height data at too high a bit rate? I think that's the term (bits/pixel). When I first saved the file as map_heights.tga I selected 32 instead of 16 or 24 on the menu it gave me (I use PS). Unfortunately there seems to be no way to check what the vanilla height map is saved at.

I suppose I must be able to add height data, because I did change the 000 to 111 for the region around the settlement of Darineth producing the invalid tile error, but I can seemingly only add such data around settlements and attempting to cover the whole of my land masses with 111 causes the unspecified error.

Currently the settlement at line 90 is Prethan Alir which is on a small island, and changing its heights from 000 to 111 has no effect on its couldn't create settlement error.
    Last edited by Ilsamir Lord; February 11, 2007 at 05:27 PM.

The vanilla .tga is 24 bit.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast