Default [Modding] Modelling Tutorial

Author: hoggy
    Original Thread: Modelling Tutorial

Modelling Tutorial
    Modding Resource Header
    Title: How to Model New 3D Units
    Posted by: hoggy
    Modding area: Units (appearance)

Required programmes: 3DS Max 5 or above, Vercingetorix's CAS extractor, Vercingetorix's X-Pak, an image editor capable of editing .DDS files (
    such as Photoshop or Paintshop Pro), Notepad (or other text editor)
    Related links: xpak Tutorial, Head Swapping tutorial, 3DSMax and tool tutorials
    Summary: Models are the physical shape of the soldiers (as opposed to the textures - also known as skins - which provide the colours). If the model is a chassis, then the skin is the paint-job. This is an introduction to making models. It requires some knowledge of modding the game and modelling. Like all modelling in Rome it requires 3ds max.

I’ve been asked for a guide to unit modelling in the thread on Blue Lotus. Although I can’t provide a tutorial on using max (it would be way too big) I’ll lay out the basic process I’ve used so far for creating units in case that helps.

1. Import an existing .CAS model preferably the highest poly version (ending in _400 or _highest) from Data\models_unit. (make sure you have Vercingetorix’s latest exporter). I find that working from an existing model gives you a good base which acts as a guideline for the skeleton shape, polycount etc. Save this scene as something else and remember to backup regularly.

2. Choose the rainbow shaped icon from the tabs at the top of the right hand panel then right click on the skin layer in the stack and hit ‘collapse all’ (see image below). This basically removes all vertex weighting from the model.

3. Select all the vertices in the model and hit ‘weld selected’ in the options on the right making sure the value is set to 0.00001 (approximately ~ ) This makes the model into one continuous element rather that many different ones.

4. Now you are ready to edit the model as much as you require (remembering for the moment we are restricted to certain skeletons and animations). For the moment just concentrate on modelling not textures. Tips: make sure you keep your modelling clean ie no loose vertices or multiple vertices sitting on top of each other. Make sure when you mirror sections to check the polys are not inverted. Make sure you look at the way the original model is created – there is only one vertex weight per bone so that creates limitations ie. Enough polys around bone joints are required and where the legs join in the center there needs to be a clear poly for movement between the vertices.

5. Texturing. Most texturing will be done by applying a uv map by projection through one axis. Only one material/texture should be used on the model. Plan out what texturing you think you will need and how many different projections ie. You might need one for the face, one for the torso etc (the RTW textures again act as a good guide for layout). Because RTW requires each vertex to only have one set of uvs I use this method to apply textures: Select the polys on the model you wish to texture. From the options on the right click on ‘Detach’ and then tick on ‘detach to element’. Then UV map and adjust uvs to taste. Collapse the stack after every application.

6. When you have finished texturing each set of polys with their own uvs should be selectable in ‘element’ mode

7. Give the model a last check over, collapse the stack, check your weapons and other items are correctly linked and that the model lines up correctly with the joints of the skeleton etc.

8. Skinning. RTW has a one vertex per joint policy, which although a pain, makes skinning a doddle (note skinning is weighting the vertices to bones and has no connection with skinning in the modding sense) Select your model. In the drop down modifier list on the right go to ‘skin’. Click on the plus sign next to skin in the stack to show the envelope stack. Highlight this. In the right hand option panel click on the button ‘add’ above the empty white box. Select all the bones prefixed by ‘bone_’ (nothing else) these will then be skinned to you model and appear in the empty white box. Under the Edit Envelopes on the right tick ‘vertices’ and highlight bone_abs in the white box. Select all the vertices on your model (being careful not to touch the coloured envelopes) Below the white box with your bones in ‘Weight Properties’ tick ‘rigid’ and make the ‘Abs. Effect, 1.0. You have now weighted all the vertices in your model to the abdominal bone. Normally at this time it’s worth doing a test export and checking your model in game. It’ll be as stiff as a board but you should be able to tell if your texturing is correct. Then select one bone at a time in the white box, select the vertices you want associated with that bone and give them an Abs. Effect of 1.0 . when you’ve finished select bone_abs again to check you’ve not missed any vertices. Export again for a final test. (See image below for explanation of terms above)

I’ve probably missed a lot of stuff there and it may be that I do things differently from other people but I hope it might prove helpful.
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; December 25, 2013 at 06:39 AM.