Thread: [Modding] Multiple Bodyguard Units

Default [Modding] Multiple Bodyguard Units

Author: MasterOfNone
    Original Thread: Multiple Bodyguard Units

Multiple Bodyguard Units
    I'm not sure if anyone has noticed this yet but I thought I'd share anyway.

As you know, the bodyguards (General Units) can now be recruited in BI along with a general. The way the game parses this is evidently different than the non-recruitable (i.e. family-member) bodyguards. Just a reminder of how that worked and still works:

The game looks for the first unit entry in EDU with the general_unit attribute for your faction and that becomes the default bodyguard unit for your family members (pre-BI you can employ the faction_capabilities element to upgrade the bodyguard to - if I remember rightly - the second unit entry so attributed (Marian, random and imperial palace assumed positive)).

Anyway, to my point:

Now in BI you can recruit generals' units direct from the EDB and the game engine identifies these - regardless of where they appear in the EDU - as GUs.

What this means is that you can assign the general_unit attribute to a number of your units and thus have different buildings or regions able to recruit generals with different bodyguards. The unit with the first attribute in the EDU will serve as the family-member bodyguard unit but all others can be assigned as you wish.

Simple really but vanilla uses the same bodyguards for the recruitable generals as it does for the family members so I thought someone may have missed this.

MasterOfNone
    Fourth Age: Research & Development
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; December 29, 2013 at 11:50 AM. Reason: fixed author hyperlink