Thread: Go Carbon Zero!

Shatterer's Avatar Civis

Default Go Carbon Zero!

With the growing threat of Global Warming, it's about time we all went carbon zero. So what does "carbon zero" mean?:hmmm: Well, by going "carbon zero" you would be neutralizing your CO2 emissions. So I challenge you to calculate your level of CO2 emissions by clicking on the carbon zero calculator here: http://www.gocarbonzero.com/

Here are my results (note that I am still a student):

Y o u r I m p a c t
    Your estimated CO2 emissions are 26.65 tons per year
    You can help to offset your impact by planting 20 trees

Default Re: Go Carbon Zero!

With your donation, the Conservation Fund will plant 22 trees in one of our Carbon Zero forests. Over the next 70 years, these trees will sequester approximately 29.68 tons of carbon dioxide -- one of the most potent greenhouse gases.

roflmao....

The most I do to help the environment is not throw rubber and plastic on the floor when im outside. And even then, I'm not sure the Earth cares. Ive never heard it say thank you at least. Rubber and plastic came out of the Earth, who's to say it cares if we throw it back down on the ground? It'll just swallow it back up into itself.

*shrug*

This is what environmentalism is to me, an issue full of uncertainty and contradiction.

Denny Crane!'s Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

In some northern climates some trees do more harm in global warming than good by retaining heat. Far more appropriate would be investing in green power or something similar. By investing your time in supporting scientific endeavour or lobbying the government.

Peter

Shatterer's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Seneca View Post
    In some northern climates some trees do more harm in global warming than good by retaining heat. Far more appropriate would be investing in green power or something similar. By investing your time in supporting scientific endeavour or lobbying the government.

Peter
    I think the government should be run by an oligarchy of scientists with political advisers instead of the other way around.

PyrrhusIV's Avatar Primicerius

22.04 Tons ... 18 Trees.

Not too shabby.

Well, not bad then. This year I predict we will be planting another load of hundreds if not thousands trees (can't remember how much I need for replanting) so I guess I'm carbon negative.

Everyone is warhero, genius and millionaire in Internet, so don't be surprised that I'm not impressed.

Metellus's Avatar Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by RZZZA View Post
    roflmao....

The most I do to help the environment is not throw rubber and plastic on the floor when im outside. And even then, I'm not sure the Earth cares. Ive never heard it say thank you at least. Rubber and plastic came out of the Earth, who's to say it cares if we throw it back down on the ground? It'll just swallow it back up into itself.

*shrug*

This is what environmentalism is to me, an issue full of uncertainty and contradiction.
    Its the form it gets changed into by us during the manufacturing process. You can't expect the earth to just suck up (i.e. biodegrade) plastic, oil or nuclear waste (for that matter) when we drop it on the ground. It can't decompose it into simpler components fast enough. We create very complex materials out of very simple organic compounds, the earth just doesn't know how to deal with stuff like that, and so we get oil-slicks and nylon fishing line killing birds, and all the rest.

Under proud patronage of halie satanus and House of Wilpuri
    Perge cornu canere - sclopetum repleo!
    Trans: Keep honking - I'm reloading!