Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: The Biggest Battle Ever Fought - Ancient World

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Default Re: The Biggest Battle Ever Fought - Ancient World

I never said it was, don't patronize me. But it's still a good way to quickly estimate the size of forces by using "army" and "100'000" interchangeably.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by O'Hea View Post
    For most of history countries seem to have kept a very low percentage of their populations under arms (like, 1-3%) and even fewer were actually combatants, so you can do that math.
    Actually throwing 100k men on battle was realistic for Chinese since Han dynasty as Han's population numbers around 60 millions; 100k is not even 1% of population.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Blatta Optima Maxima View Post
    I never said it was, don't patronize me. But it's still a good way to quickly estimate the size of forces by using "army" and "100'000" interchangeably.
    For WW1? But the German army sizes were variable 180,000-300,000 odd (First army was massive), French forces varied from 150,000-250,000. Maybe the K series, they came in at about 90,000 each, when they weren't being cannibalised.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    Actually throwing 100k men on battle was realistic for Chinese since Han dynasty as Han's population numbers around 60 millions; 100k is not even 1% of population.
    Of course, but somebody just threw out a figure of 4-7 million for a war in India or several millions for a medieval war in Central Asia. Numbers like that just don't make sense.

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by O'Hea View Post
    Of course, but somebody just threw out a figure of 4-7 million for a war in India or several millions for a medieval war in Central Asia. Numbers like that just don't make sense.
    Indeed. I wonder how many people ancient economies could concentrate in one place? Cities of a million people wouild take an empire, and thats in a co-operative space. Bringing rowdy groups of men and beasts into a contested space like a battlefield on campaign, I think if you had a million men per side then most would starve to death before or after the battle.

Maybe if they agreed on the battlefield, and heaped the supplies in a "no-go" zone where everyone could refresh themselves between clashes.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Assuming that you could conscript that much of your populace, how would you feed and arm all those guys? This was before canned food and mass production so it don't make sense.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567