Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Faction "Switzerland"

Default Re: Faction "Switzerland"

one question, have any units been made and research been done? also how long will this delay the mod? wasnt the release supposed to be late march-early april?

afaik no research has been done yet, though we now have a swiss historian on the team - so the swiss faction research should be handled in a reasonable timeframe

in any case, I think that late-march/early-april is not possible any more, since the swiss must be created from scratch and I don't know how far the lithuanians have progressed... (oh, and after that I must update the campaign with historical family trees and such for the new factions, but that won't take too long to do)

DrIstvaan's Avatar Artifex

And don't forget that we're virtually at a standstill (at least with the bulk of the mod) until the patch comes out.

You may want to take a look at my small mod, Like Orange in Black Chocolate.
    Under the patronage of Silver Guard

sounds like great news!

i will post all informations i have in this thread

if you have a question i will try to give you an answer

what do you need first to start creating this faction ?

a list of all the units that are needed ?

Their units need to be easy to recruit in bulk. Their levy system was very well organised and an army could be raised rapidly after an invading army was spotted. The Swiss will have a pretty basic roster though: pikes, halberds, gunners, crossbowmen and maybe some sort of sword unit. The first version of the mesh converter should be out soon too, We might be able to fix those "renaissance" models, their clothes are pretty inaccurate and need fixing, not top priority but would be a nice addition, we can also add more variety to the swiss and landsknechts.

i wouldnt give the swiss much more then basic guns. they werent big users of any gunpowder technology. their lack of gunpowder tech was actually their downfall.

@toopers
    I think you could post here some names of royalty from the Swiss Renaissance, so that justme can include these into the mod as names of family members. Also, you could write some common names used in Switzerland, for the agents, adopted generals etc.

They used gunners as skirmishers, much like the greeks and macedonians did, they can have up-to-date gunpowder tech, just not be able to recruit it in such quantities.

Let toopers decide, OK? After all, he has the ABSOLUTE advantage of being a born Swiss.

want me to get some info for the swiss armies?

Well, if you have reliable resources, why not?

its ok what you say but thge swiss army wasnt lacking in gunpowder they were at same status as the other factions at this time. what made the swissmen so specially were their pikemen and halbereds. they used a formation called gewalthaufen and it was the best tactic in the beginning of the renaissance after a while the landknechts from germany developped a better formation at thats were the swiss army started to be forgotten.

the names you asked will follow soon
    a unit list will follow too
    Last edited by toopers; March 31, 2007 at 10:27 AM.

a. Swiss halberdier at Pavia, 1525. He wears a Landsknecht-type costume, including a short Katzbalger sword,
    b. Swiss pikeman at Marignano, 1515. He wears tight striped hose like earlier Swiss, Sallet with face protection, corselet and tassets.
    c. Swiss armoured pikeman, also at Marignano. He wears a type of Sallet with plumed beret-style cap partly covering it, and half-armour with tassets.
    d. Swiss Guard, France, 1581. Cap black, pompoms white-blue-red. Doublet: white strip down front; right half red slashed blue, left half blue slashed red. Left sleeve blue with red stripes. Right sleeve white-blue-red, repeated. Forearm: left blue, right red. Codpiece: red-white-blue. Left leg: front blue, red stripes, back probably reversed. Right leg blue-red-blue-white-blue-red-blue. Left stocking blue with red garter. Right stocking white, with red garter and stripe. Shoes black
    e. and f. Swiss horn blowers from a battle picture of 1512. "e" is Lucerne—horn white, red cord; clothing blue and white with white crosses; red scabbard, "f" is Uri—horn white, red cords; clothing yellow and black with white cross,
    g. Swiss soldier 1572 with pike and sword,
    h. Sergeant of Papal Swiss Guard, with glaive, 1517. He wears a garment with baggy sleeves, square cut-away neckline (corselet beneath) and long skirt called a "Sajone" which was worn throughout the first half of the 16th Century by the Swiss Guards

guess these pics show how badly the swiss were portrayed in vanilla.
    hopes this helps!

@ toopers

just looked at a few sites and books, your right. i got my facts confused!

hey arfrisco were you from that youre so intressed in a swiss faction

I think he's from the USA.

im from america but i find europe more interesting. in fact im leaving for prague in about 2 1/2 hours, so i wont be here for a week.

I am somewhat interested in the Swiss of the renaissance period as well, and it's good to know we have a good Swiss historian on the team!

I'm the Ottoman historian by the way
    Last edited by TWoxy; April 03, 2007 at 04:52 PM.

Soulghast's Avatar RAWR!

I am closing this thread now, anything that has to do with the Swiss facτιοn should go to this thread.
    Last edited by Soulghast; April 04, 2007 at 12:57 AM.
    Ex-Curator
    Under the Patronage of Perikles
    Patron of Desperado † and Astaroth

R.I.P Calvin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12