Thread: Works with Steam?

Default Works with Steam?

After reading reviews, I'm downloading now -- any issues with versions of MTW2 bought via Steam?

Default Re: Works with Steam?

Yes there were many reports of medieval 2 haveing a corrupted error with the ones bought of steam.
    DO NOT buy it from steam. DO NOT buy it from steam. There is some sort of corrupted error in steams version of m2tw.

Well, my Steam version plays fine -- just asking how to install the mod with my version of MTW2?

tornnight's Avatar Forum Bot

I'm not quite certain. I know people have done it but I don't know the details. Its somewhere on the forum.

If I run across it I'll post it.
    "The first casualty when war comes, is truth." - Hiram Johnson
    Developer of The Long Road Modification

As posted by Zolneirz in archived posts:

ATTENTION STEAM USERS, HOPE IN SIGHT.

Incase you're as retarded as I was moments ago, playing med2 mods is not as difficult as you think. Make a copy of the medieval.preferences.cfg file in your /common/med2 folder, rename it, well, whatever, then paste in everything from The_Long_Road.cfg into the medieval.preferences.cfg, add the condition @The_Long_Road.hdr in the steam switch menu (accessed by right clicking the game in the steam menu and clicking "launch options"), turn off the auto-update crap for med2 (so it won't replace stuff, in same place as switch) and then start it.

I'm not sure if the HDR file is required, you can try without, in the campaign, the map ought to look ugly (in the minimap and selection). Anyway, if the game hangs but doesn't crash when you hit 'start campaign', minimize, check if its responding and then resize and it should work. Give it a minute, cause the map is large.

This also works for other mods that have the what-mod thing in the cfg file.

The above instructions seem to have worked for me. Thanks!

Nope no dice -- cannot get this to work with steam version -- if anyone has had any luck, I'd love to take a stroll down the long road:hmmm:

YES!!! I followed the instructions exactly as posted above -- and it works! Great Mod btw! Reminds me of the SPQR mod -- and that's a compliment!