Thread: Writers: Let's have a conversation

Mega Tortas de Bodemloze's Avatar Let's Get After It
    Fort Hood, Texas/Parramatta, New South Wales, Bristol, Tennessee

Default Writers: Let's have a conversation

Let's have a conversation about writing. What jump starts you? What makes you stay on course? What sinks you?

Anything about writing is in play, so feel free to slap it down. There are some really good writers around here that could poke their heads in the door and give you their opinions. You never know around here.

So....

1. Why do you write?
    2. How do you get started?
    3. What keeps you going?
    4. What sinks you?
    5. What kind of a writer are you? Emotional, technical, goal oriented? and so forth.
    6. When you write, what's usually around you?
    7. Where do you write?
    8. Do you have a favorite spot for writing?
    9. Do you have to write in one particular spot, or is the world your oyster?
    10. What words of encouragement would you give to those looking for a little help with their writing?
    Last edited by Mega Tortas de Bodemloze; January 04, 2024 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Workin it Grammar wise
    A Lion serves in Winter, then perhaps a Unicorn for the Spring.

If you cannot stand behind what you say.... then do not speak. If your words are taken out of context,
    then the weight of the evidence will still fall in your favor and carry the day

The Casual Tortoise: Mega's Guide to Fast Turtling

Default Re: Writers: Let's have a conversation

Kay... I'll go first. A couple of days ago after being gone for probably two years or so, I popped my head in the door just to have a look around. Then it occurred to me, that if I was ever to do anything again for this place,
    that now was the time to step up and make a difference.

1. I write because the idea is there. I write because it's in me. Yep you're right, tis the response of an emotional writer.
    2. The urge to write jumps in you and you go with it.
    3. Looking around and seeing if I can apply this urge to write to other projects. Unfortunately I am one of those people that tends to start ten projects at once and finishing none of them. With great effort over the years
    I have tried to just have one or two writing projects going at the same time.
    4. When the words leave you their gone, and your just stuck again the that big, black, hole, of nothing. (A wordless universe you might say).
    5. Definitely Emotional. It has many downsides but I wouldn't trade it for the world.
    6. A double expresso, most definitely. These days I prefer the keyboard over pen and paper but I carry a little notebook with me wherever I go just in case. Low and behold I usually get swamped with notions and ideas when I go to the market. So I'll just push my cart to one side of the aisle and stand their jotting away in my little notebook until I get everything written down.
    7. I prefer upstairs at my keyboard, but like I said, sometimes the feeling strikes you in the oddest places, so I embrace that as best I can. Yep scribbling down "War & Peace" in that little notebook standing in a grocery aisle or even once standing in the middle of a car lot while out car shopping with a friend.
    8. Out on the patio looking over the garden would be nice but rarely can I manage to pull that off.
    9. Nope, like I said I can write anywhere if the mood is with me.
    10. Write about what you feel or know. If it's fiction that you're writing "embellish". Many times though we can write nothing but the truth and it will come across as fiction.
    Never be afraid to ask for help or a little nudge now and again.... Most of the time that little bit of encouragement, would be all you need to get you back on track with your writing.
    Last edited by Mega Tortas de Bodemloze; January 09, 2024 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Grammer Nazi patrol. "Yes Sir yes Sir"

If you cannot stand behind what you say.... then do not speak. If your words are taken out of context,

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Its been awhile since I penned anything here. but it looks like I might be doing some writing here in the upcoming months, so heres some quick responses...

1. Why do you write?

Usually I have some project in mind. I hate to say this but work requires that I do alot of wrting, but its mostly technical and review in nature. I would like to do more creative work.

2. How do you get started?

Time and space.

3. What keeps you going?

Some indication of progress.

4. What sinks you?

Writers blocks occur often.

5. What kind of a writer are you? Emotional, technical, goal oriented? and so forth.

All of the above.

6. When you write, what's usually around you?

A computer. Books and some writing material (notebooks, tablets, pens, pencils, etc.)

7. Where do you write?

At the computer. In my office. I can pick up a notebook and wander occasionally.

8. Do you have a favorite spot for writing?

Yes, the slope overlooking the lake behind my house.

9. Do you have to write in one particular spot, or is the world your oyster?

If I dont do it on the computer I would have to eventually get it there.

10. What words of encouragement would you give to those looking for a little help with their writing?

Start with an outline. Think about adding visuals.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Kay... (cracks knuckles). It's been a couple of days, let's see where we are at....

I play cards on Friday night's, the game's Hand & Foot*, and I am "Take no Prisoner's" competitive about it. When and cards are with you, you walk amongst the Gods and they wish they could play that well. When the cards are not with you, you are the definition of agony & suffering. I try and be a good sport about it, but I am not. So, for me. writing and playing cards are one in the same in this way....

The cards are with you, or they are not. The words are with you, or they are not.

So... How to keep writing when the words concerning said project desert you? Now bear in mind, that my perspective on writing is 99% emotional. For most of you lucky sods, perhaps it is not. What GB has said in the thread has given me this thought. Switch your focus to something else for a moment or two. Say it's like after an hour of working on the computer take a quick break to reset your eyes and de-stress. Up until now when the words desert me and everything goes dark, I just give up. Well now's the time for all of us to say No! and find a new way to stay on track.

and to the four/five people I see watching me write this, go open an account here and let's hear your side of it**. Same goes for you TWCers looking at this from the cheap seats.

Let's hear what your got to say folks.... If you are thinking of joining us, this can be very helpful.... The New Members Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius Baltar View Post
    Start with an outline. Think about adding visuals.
    Written descriptions?

Topic: Writer's Block: That's big and scary. I'm too chicken to try and tackle that today...

Three teams of two, Trash talking in spades.
    ** Signing up just takes a few moments and no invasive questions are asked.
    Last edited by Mega Tortas de Bodemloze; January 09, 2024 at 02:32 PM. Reason: thread under construction

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Tortas de Bodemloze View Post

"Some writers never know what's to be written until they see it on the page...."
    I said this several years ago and for me it still applies today. GB suggests making an outline. I've tried that approach without tangible success up til now. Usually I end up with a few ideas scribbled down
    rather incoherently and go from there. I definitely need to find a writing formula that doesn't utilize "winging it" as the main ingredient.

I find that writing about stuff that's generally out of your comfort zone can help make picking up the pen a lot easier. If you can take on difficult things and succeed, then writing about the stuff that you enjoy should be a breeze.

.... still building the idea so check back later. You know the drill.....
    Last edited by Mega Tortas de Bodemloze; January 12, 2024 at 04:07 AM. Reason: Workin it

Solid Snake's Avatar Vicarius

Hey! It`s the old Mega! An old warhorse indeed. If I may I will answer your questions and bring light upon myself.

1.- The why... it´s kind of a drive, it´s something of an itch, it´s the story waiting to unfold. Sometimes I look at a painting, at a movie or show or my own dreams, and I go: "I can do it better." There is a hidden joy in writing that is hard to express.

2.- There is a flash of inspiration, sometimes I cant even think of something else until I put the idea into a frame and start pouring it into the screen.

3.- It would have to be determination, inspiration is good for starters, but down the road it only finds you hard at work, so keep on writing until it shows herself again.

4.-Despair can be found in the smallest things, in my line of work is to ready to be found. There are....foul spells

5.- I think I may be goal oriented, more often than not, the ending is revealed to me before starting the tale.

6.- I usually write at the dull hours at work, the midnight oil, so there is my laptop obviously, coffee, and some hospital haze.

7.-In my laptop, mostly at work, but sometimes at home in my bed.

8.- I would dearly enjoy to write at a small coffee shop, a man can dream still.

9.- The world is an oyster, I can write some small part in my cellphone and later pour it into the laptop.

10.- Keep on keeping on! It only gets harder before it gets easier!
    Do check my AAR "The Proud Blood of Germania"
    Formerly known as JerichoOnlyFan.
    And my other AAR: "The Black Serpent"