Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alexander: Making of a God

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Default Re: Alexander: Making of a God

Come on really. Nobody else has owned horses or has any opinion on the best breed to simulate classical Greek/Macedonian breeds?
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Kyriakos is right that the Han dynasty Chinese were enamored with horses from Greco-Bactria, but horses available to colonial Greeks in ancient Afghanistan and Tajikistan are not exactly the same as horses available to Greeks in the Mediterranean, I would imagine. Not an expert on the subject, though! Just glad Thessalians were noted on the previous page.

I'll just put this here and let you guys argue about the size comparisons of man to horse. LOL. The Alexander Sarcophagus from Lebanon, 4th century BC, is a good depiction made by Greek artists of the time period, and it is reasonable to assume they weren't making unreasonable proportions given the intended realism of Classical art.

However, the horses in the later Roman Alexander Mosaic from Pompeii, dated circa 100 BC, show horses in battle that seem a bit bigger than the ones decorating the sarcophagus. The mosaic was also most likely made by a Greek artist native to Magna Graecia, so horses of this size must have been available in Roman Italy.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

According to Ren the Conqueror (which as Roma will recall, is the true source of how Philip B' lost his eye), Alexander's horse was similar in size to the archenemy in Silverhawks (not the latter's steed, which is a kind of space octopus cuttlefish), aka the prototype for Darth Maul:

"Moon-star of Limbo!"
    Last edited by Kyriakos; January 07, 2024 at 05:56 PM.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    Kyriakos is right that the Han dynasty Chinese were enamored with horses from Greco-Bactria, but horses available to colonial Greeks in ancient Afghanistan and Tajikistan are not exactly the same as horses available to Greeks in the Mediterranean, I would imagine. Not an expert on the subject, though! Just glad Thessalians were noted on the previous page.

I'll just put this here and let you guys argue about the size comparisons of man to horse. LOL. The Alexander Sarcophagus from Lebanon, 4th century BC, is a good depiction made by Greek artists of the time period, and it is reasonable to assume they weren't making unreasonable proportions given the intended realism of Classical art.

However, the horses in the later Roman Alexander Mosaic from Pompeii, dated circa 100 BC, show horses in battle that seem a bit bigger than the ones decorating the sarcophagus. The mosaic was also most likely made by a Greek artist native to Magna Graecia, so horses of this size must have been available in Roman Italy.

On the sarcophagus I would say the horses are clearly compressed - dictated by the panel size. On a side panel you can see more clearly a man on a rearing horse is not even a forearm higher than a standing solder. The are accurate physically likely. But they are miniaturized.

On the second if Alex was about 5' 6" (the estimates I have seen) and guessing was not sitting flat but knee clamping and slightly above his pad... And is his horse really has its neck nearly vertical to its body (*). And neither have really unusual proportions could be 15 hands. But error bar around that napkin calculation is huge. Horse butt horse I could suggest the same but I can decide if its supposed to be galloping or rearing a bit. Also the head and neck seem maybe a bit out proportion read smallish. But I certainly don't know of anyone who tried publish guesses based on the mosaic. Certainly it is unfortunate the Alex horse is mostly missing because it looks to the one with the least perspective issues.

Napkin work

* I'm thumb nailing the picture of the ideal Arab from the competition manual.

edit sorry all edited for clarity really should have waited till morning and not posted that while both distracted and tired.
    Last edited by conon394; January 08, 2024 at 08:01 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Another picture

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

That guy looks familiar. Or maybe it's that he has an ultra-generic face, second-class handsome actor.

Bootleg Fasbender
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"

Forgot to add the trailer:

This just looks cheap.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

WTF are these outfits in the film? It looks scrap materials they found in various dumpsters outside of TV studios that they rehashed at the last minute into pants, tunics, and torso coverings that only vaguely resemble armor. It's like the cinematic production equivalent of wanting a fancy continental breakfast and being taken to a Denny's chain diner instead. LOL. The acting also looks pretty bad, the script writing is just bland, and those CGI special effects involving the mountain were pretty cringe. What a terrible show; great job, Netflix! You didn't disappoint in disappointing me.

"There will never be another Alexander show like you. Alexander the Great show"
    Time flies btw, it's been 20 years since the movie...

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    This just looks cheap.
    yes, sadly it has those RoP vibes

Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

another cheap looking armor:

funny: https://twitter.com/nonregemesse/sta...90997864919528
    Last edited by Pinarius; February 06, 2024 at 05:02 AM.

^^
    Well what do you expect, it simply looks like a very bad production. If the production value is so low, you can't expect the more substantive parts to be good - and from the trailer everything else sounds terrible and basic too

They hate Alexander to begin with

There was no phalanx in this show at all. None.
    The Armenian Issue

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    There was no phalanx in this show at all. None.
    Seriously?

Has anyone watched it? Not Kyriakos, someone unbiased that doesn't consider the size of horses as an important flaw but would actually notice the absence of Phalanxes.
    Is there ANY value in this? I don't mean production values, I mean whether it is a series that uses familiar names and it is pure fantasy or if there is something people may get from this?
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

It wasn't moi who mentioned the horses If you want a realistic depiction of Alexander, for you I'd guess Ren the Conqueror would do the trick ^^

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast