Thread: Realistic Battles for Imperial Destroyer 2.0

Default Realistic Battles for Imperial Destroyer 2.0

Hi there.

I'm (finally) working in the version 2.0 of RBID

The idea is to reinforce the sense of realism not only in battle but also in the strategic gameplay.

Is a more ambitious mod because it touches a few aspects of the game outside battles, despite these changes are deeply interconnected to the actual battles. Hope those changes will please everyone, but some drastic decisions have been made to have a more coherent experience.

In a few days I will present an alpha for testing purposes.

Cheers

Default Re: Realistic Battles for Imperial Destroyer 2.0

You're doing God's work here, keep it up!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hnB...ew?usp=sharing

Only a few units are changed. You can identify them because are not vanilla numbers. 360 Inf, 180 light/irreg., 120 cavalry, 4 cannons.

The morale is compressed from 3 to 10. By now the morale standard is 6. Elite units are 10 at best. You must gain chevrons to increase stats.

I increased slightly the damage/range ratio, so battles are a bit faster. But correct placement of your units and lines are crucial now, because if you are surprised or too next an enemy unit you can receive a devastating volley. I reduced the reloading rythm, battles still feel thunderous but you have an opportunity to place good shoots... that needs more micromanaging and hidden units can be very useful.

Cannon now has limited ammo. The bigger the caliber the less ammo you have. In the other hand small caliber cannons are more imprecise because physics.

We are far from completion and makes no sense to start a campaign, but you must know that are hardcaps for every unit accordingly with their ethnic/national demographics. So small nations like Netherlands, Pirates or the Cree are very unlikely capable to finish the Domination Campaign. To compensate I'm increasing the foreign troops available as a general rule with exceptions (Amerindian are demographically weak and that is reflected).

That's all for now.

PE I forgot to mention that recruitment costs are reduced in campaign, but unkeep is increased so in the end it is possible that the historical practice of disbanding regiments after wars could be feasible and desirable.
    Last edited by Axland; November 12, 2023 at 04:13 PM.

I'm using 400 inf, 200 light and 100 cav. Seems to me the upper limit to battles.

You can try battles Austria vs France, there are enough units to make a full scale battle. I'm not sure if I must reduce a bit the musketfire damage and to maintain artillery units to 2 pieces because now targets are bigger (400 battalions) and artillery do a decent job.

Cavalry on the other had perhaps is a bit fragile, but well placed charges are routing units decisively. I'm using mostly cuirassiers.

Let me know what are your feelings.

Sadly, because I'm using 400 men battalions the typical 3 rows formations are not suitable, so battalions now form 4 rows by default. You can further extend the line, but beyond 320 men battalions it is not possible to have 3 rows all the way.

On the other hand I'm enjoying much the view of those big battalions despite they are clunky... Well, after all battalions historically were clunky anyways.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hnB...ew?usp=sharing

More units added...

Is there a method to speed up changing stats? There around 2.500 units in Lord's files, most of them unused, but there is no way to know what are used unless you check names, one by one, in units tables and then remember the name to apply the change in the unit stats land lists. It's a tortuous work.

terciperix's Avatar Foederatus

I don't know much about modding but I remember adding more ammo to every unit in the tables regardless of if they are used by the mod or not. I guess it's not ideal but less time consuming ?

I'd be happy to give a helping hand, this is my favorite mod due to the AI and battle pace (Its kind of the only mod with a working AI in battles).
    I'm mainly an audio/visual person but know my way around db tables. I could help out with some monotonous db jobs if i was told what to do, problems with unit consistency in visuals, and audio stuff. Well I'm still learning through trial and error/reverse engineering but it all seems pretty intuitive, although patience does gets tested fairly quickly.

On another note, I was always frustrated at not being able to open a lot of lords files in Rusted pack file manager, but it seems I can do that in yours, how did you do this? I always got a schema update error on lords files, no other mods.