Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Why (Almost All) Cosmologists are Atheists"

Default Re: "Why (Almost All) Cosmologists are Atheists"

Quote Originally Posted by paleologos View Post
    My point is that when you make your living as a scientist then it is in your best interest to reinforce the image that would get people to trust you with research grants.
    Well, in the case you presented, the excavation was funded by Trinity Southwest University (an unaccredited evangelical Christian institution), Veritas International University (formerly Veritas Evangelical Seminary), and a GoFundMe that asked potential donors to help prove the veracity of the Bible. That particular study was done in collaboration with Comet Research Group. It was published in the journal Scientific Reports. There were a few questionable issues that had to be revised, but otherwise, I suppose there is nothing particularly unscientific about the final result, whether it turns out to be correct or not. In any case, I think it’s safe to assume that your general intuition is correct about at least some of those involved being theists.

Scientific methodology excludes supernatural explanations a priori. As long as someone is willing to adhere to that in their research, it doesn’t really matter what they believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

My point is that when you make your living as a scientist then it is in your best interest to reinforce the image that would get people to trust you with research grants.

Which would mean that whenever they appear in public they, more often than not, downplay the existence of a creed in them as it is not what they want people to remember them for.
    I known and worked for to many scientist that simply is not true. - Re Francis Collins. I reiterate my wife was associate in professor in Human Genetics and Senior researcher for the USDA and I can 't think of any time when she has ever had to hide or down play oher faith or pretend to an Atheist or as a junior researcher indicated that say the NIH or American heart association et might have passed her over because of failing to assert being an Atheist.
    Last edited by conon394; November 10, 2023 at 02:17 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    Well, in the case you presented, the excavation was funded by Trinity Southwest University (an unaccredited evangelical Christian institution), Veritas International University (formerly Veritas Evangelical Seminary), and a GoFundMe that asked potential donors to help prove the veracity of the Bible.
    That particular study was done in collaboration with Comet Research Group.
    I was not aware of the specifics, it is good that you clarified that.
    I figures that groups like that would finance such excavations.

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    Scientific methodology excludes supernatural explanations a priori.
    As long as someone is willing to adhere to that in their research, it doesn’t really matter what they believe.
    Absolutely.
    That's the reason they prefer to not be heard in public making any reference in the supernatural.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    I known and worked for to many scientist that simply is not true. - Re Francis Collins. I reiterate my wife was associate in professor in Human Genetics and Senior researcher for the USDA and I can 't think of any time when she has ever had to hide or down play oher faith or pretend to an Atheist or as a junior researcher indicated that say the NIH or American heart association et might have passed her over because of failing to assert being an Atheist.
    If in any part of my posts I typed that theist scientists are closeted about is, please do point it out to me because it was a mistake.
    I just don't think I said that.

What I did say is that in professional settings those who are theists don't make a fuss about it.
    On the contrary, those who are atheists do make a fuss about it.

This isn't like woke ideology, where scientists have to make a declaration of conformity to the creed of DIE and present a plan for the action they intent to take in order to implement that creed if they get the tenure or the grant in order to get the tenure or the grant.
    I believe as long as they cow tow to DIE they are tolerated being discretely and humbly theists.

Even if the universe finally is recognized as deterministic (which is the corner where theist cosmologists are refuged), it makes no sense to acknowledge with any of the previous or present religious doctrines.

I'm not talking about morality or desired social behavior, but from a cosmologist point of view.

In the past, the only ones who despite the lack of data and experimental tools managed to start a coherent cosmology where the greeks and specially the atomists... mainly atheists. No surprise there, because religious cosmology tend to create artificial boundaries that not match our present understanding of universe.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

In the past, the only ones who despite the lack of data and experimental tools managed to start a coherent cosmology where the greeks and specially the atomists... mainly atheists.
    really all to bad their works did not survive. I can see the Monks being disinterested in copying them but a score find in the Egyptian desert would nice.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12