Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Movies to forget for a few hours that humanity is miserable and we are on the brink of extinction aka your favorite comfort movies.

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Default Movies to forget for a few hours that humanity is miserable and we are on the brink of extinction aka your favorite comfort movies.

Last edited by mishkin; October 10, 2023 at 07:38 AM.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Movies to forget for a few hours that humanity is miserable and we are on the brink of extinction aka your favorite comfort movies.

Every few years, I re-watch Angel Heart ^^

Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Default Re: Movies to forget for a few hours that humanity is miserable and we are on the brink of extinction aka your favorite comfort movies.

I go with Dr. Strangelove, Airplane and toss in the the Poirot with David Suchet and maybe Them.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Blog Entries

What is Them?

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Old school 50s black and white radioactive monster firm. One of the better ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4URRp39XOo
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; October 10, 2023 at 07:47 PM.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

The Dollars Trilogy

Every movie of the iconic duo from They call me Trinity onward.

But really the list could be pretty long..
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Old school 50s black and white radioactive monster firm. One of the better ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4URRp39XOo
    Oh yes. which reminds me of this

Eight Legged Freaks

which reminded me of this

Tremors

And speaking of TV series: Columbo

John Doe's Avatar Primicerius

I used to watch Forrest Gump, Aliens, Memento and requiem for a dream, the matrix

Lately i got a guilty pleasure out of Maverick
    Last edited by John Doe; October 11, 2023 at 07:56 AM.

Blog Entries

Maverick is great imo.

Hobbes's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Poirot with David Suchet
    Yeah that one is really good, I recently got the complete box set!

BLM - ANTIFA - A.C.A.B. - ANARCHY - ANTI-NATIONALISM

Søren's Avatar ܁
    Patrician Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

Master and Commander
    Barry Lyndon
    Zama
    The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
    Jean de Florette

Although these are not all feel-good movies per se, they are sufficiently removed from mundane reality that they fulfil the 'forgetting' part.

Blog Entries

The Truman Show guys, The Truman Show.

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy without a doubt

Also Hoodwinked is an absolute chaotic and comedic masterpiece

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Søren View Post
    yes, that could be in my list too
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    The Truman Show guys, The Truman Show.
    Carrey was a good actor, but he is an unbearable jerk and reckless beyond belief, so I'd not watch any of his stuff again
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"

Blog Entries

And I thought that my position of "canceling" Woody Allen, Polanski, Spacey or Tom Cruise were controversial... Say it louder Ciriaco, we are free to dislike/hate whoever we want!

I mean, he is a jerk, no two ways about it. Among his many jerkish behaviors is that time in the oscars where he just grabbed and kissed Alicia Silverstone, which afaik made her cry.
    He is now old and his career is over, so it doesn't matter.

Blog Entries

I wasn't being sarcastic or anything, I hadn't heard about Alicia Silverstone's kiss, only that he made some weird comments about vaccines or something? I don't remember, but it doesn't matter. My mother simply hated Michael Douglas, no perfectly reasoned explanation is required for you to dislike someone and not want to see them on screen. That said

Romancing the Stone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast