Thread: OWO: Yari&Shot

Default OWO: Yari&Shot

Ohayo!
    Despite having the tools to edit the campaign map, for some reason Shogun 2 never got a mod covering Europe and around. So, being a bit bored with conquering Japan over and over again, we decided to make our own custom campaign map for Shogun covering areas from western Europe to India. The map is prepared with the gunpowder era in mind, but could be adapted to other eras if desired.
    However, since our main efforts in modding Shogun are focused on our fantasy mod (also featuring a custom campaign map - Last Alliance), we didn't have the occasion to make two such large mods at the same time. Instead, we decided to prepare the map itself, which will hopefully be used in other projects.
    Although, the campaign map needs to be tested (and well... we wanted to play it right now xD) so we transferred the clans from the Sengoku campaign onto it, making a few minor changes. All main things are implement to the map, just some minor optional stuff aren't done yet. Precise info below ^^

Download
    Credits
    Usage

Could happen that I didn't sleep for a few days to implement this campaign map into the game, so if you like it, you can support me by a donation for tea or something >.<

Installation:
    - Unpack (recommended use 7zip) and put in data folder of Shogun 2
    - Run game and select the mod in mod manager

If you have any problems with installation check out Installation Guide for my Last Alliance mod (yeah, I'm too lazy to write separate Installation Guide for every mod >.<).

OWO map features:
    - 255 regions (covering lands from Western Europe to India)
    - Reworked trade resources
    - Configured sea and land trade routes and trade nodes
    - Added resource-producing buildings
    - Configured towns with these buildings
    - Configured roads, ports and farms
    - Configured groundtypes and attrition areas
    - Configured climates areas (vanilla climates)
    - Added visual aspects like forests, rivers and textures of terrain

Yari&Shot features:
    - Vanilla clans on new campaign map (all factions playable)
    - Imported Matchlock Ashigaru are available to recruit in Castle (and they have shorter recruit time than in vanilla)
    - Improvements in diplomacy and disabling realm divide
    - Resources aren't needed for high tier buildings and cav units

To do list (mostly optional stuff):
    - Add icons for resources
    - Add basic building icons for new buildings
    - Add visual region borders
    - Configure tile maps

Usage in other mods:
    RAW files of OWO map are available to download on MODDB, check out Usage doc for more info ^^

Provinces map:

Previews:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by Sara Temer; February 01, 2024 at 10:09 AM.
    Wolf girl who likes to draw anime girls ❤️ DeviantArt, Twitter
    Also mad creator of

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,

One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them,
    TWCenter Forum, MODDB, Patreon

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: OWO: Yari&Shot

A very great THANK YOU Sara!

I would like to ask: With 255 regions, how fast (or slow) does the game go? End turn times etc?
    Last edited by alhoon; October 23, 2023 at 02:10 PM.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    A very great THANK YOU Sara!

I would like to ask: With 255 regions, how fast (or slow) does the game go? End turn times etc?
    Performance is similar to vanilla campaign map. At least on my i5 3470 and GTX 970.
    Also mad creator of

Just to point out loudly something everyone in S2TW parts around here knows at some level:

Sara Temer is both the heart and brain of S2TW modding in this forum.

That said:
    The clans are the original ones? I.e. there are just 30-so clans to vassalize in the campaign map? Or there are the great many ones from your other S2TW mods?
    Which clans are playable?
    How does the AI behave in that massive map that is quite different from the bottleneck island of S2TW?
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.

Just to point out loudly something everyone in S2TW parts around here knows at some level:

Sara Temer is both the heart and brain of S2TW modding in this forum.

That said:
    The clans are the original ones? I.e. there are just 30-so clans to vassalize in the campaign map? Or there are the great many ones from your other S2TW mods?
    Which clans are playable?
    How does the AI behave in that massive map that is quite different from the bottleneck island of S2TW?
    Hah, thanks ^^' I just want to have nice mods for Shogun so I'm trying to do my best >.<

There's much less clans. I wanted to configure startpos quickly so there's just several larger clans. And all of them are playable to test map.
    I didn't test map too much yet personally, but based on my experience with Last Alliance map AI shouldn't work worse than on vanilla map. Yeah, bottlenecks on vanilla map are helpful, but are helpful for both, player and AI. So lack of them also hurts both.
    Also mad creator of

This is amazing, keep up the great work. Shogun 2 is such an underrated game and has a lot of potential. It's modders like you that keep these games staying fresh even after all these years.

Has anyone played this for some time? Is it actually doable because of the scope?

What I mean is:
    255 settlements are a LOT of settlements to have without the vassal/satrapies choices of later games. I do love the 3KTW vassal system where they give you a LOT of money. Or the Attila Sassasanids where the satraps give you a lot of money AND troops, and also that they show up to help you in wars.

S2TW doesn't have that. In the LotR mod, the settlements are decently easy to manage, so that after you put what you want in each area, you simply move on to new areas. Still it does become a bit tedious to deal with all upgrades once you unlock a new building.
    Last edited by alhoon; October 29, 2023 at 10:48 AM.

Tbh. For this size of map I would say that 255 regions is a bit not enough ^^' I usually don't do world conquer, cuz often it's kill immersion.
    Also mad creator of

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Just that it can be done is amazing and inspirational for the idea you can make even better local scopes. And as illustrated by Medieval 2, 200+ regions is plenty to realize a fantasy world too.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Temer View Post
    Tbh. For this size of map I would say that 255 regions is a bit not enough ^^' I usually don't do world conquer, cuz often it's kill immersion.
    ETW had half of those for that area, although admittedly they needed more in Russia, India, North America, France and Spain. I understand that for the time period of that particular mod 255 may seem few BUT... for a large world dominated by 30 Japanese clans it is more than enough.

I am of those that think that if you could put 2000 regions, you should. BUT I am also of those that say "we've done that with 130 regions and they seemed few-ish. So even 170 would feel enough. And we got 255!!!! "

This map is great! It's what a lot of people (myself included) have needed for years in order to create some 16-19th century mods. I can already see a porting over models for use for a victorian period Total War. Provided the map plays nice with using FotS assets.

"In a man to man fight the winner is he with one more bullet in his clip."
    - Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

"Suffer not the Witch to live, nor the Heretic to spread his lies!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cathedralsquares View Post
    This map is great! It's what a lot of people (myself included) have needed for years in order to create some 16-19th century mods. I can already see a porting over models for use for a victorian period Total War. Provided the map plays nice with using FotS assets.
    Please, PLEASE do... We need a REAL ETW, where France is not a single province.

cocobongoclub-DJ's Avatar Père fourmois

Hi Sara !
    Amazing, this could be the pike and shot mod TW will never give us.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Under the Noble Patronage of Agisilaos
    CATW Modeller skinner since 2006, now retired - Proud grandfather of Classical-Age Total War, the ancient world in 300 bc...
    http://www.ancient-battles.com

Quote Originally Posted by cocobongoclub-DJ View Post
    Hi Sara !
    Amazing, this could be the pike and shot mod TW will never give us.
    I think the Pike and Shot team plans to use this map.

New version of OWO is out now! ^^ Also, we shared RAW files of campaign map to allow use this map in other mods ^^ More info and links in first post
    Also mad creator of

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Temer View Post
    New version of OWO is out now! ^^ Also, we shared RAW files of campaign map to allow use this map in other mods ^^ More info and links in first post
    I am not sure what is different, Sara. Could you elaborate?
    Also, could we ask if any other mods have taken up your very generous offer for a map?

I am not sure what is different, Sara. Could you elaborate?
    Also, could we ask if any other mods have taken up your very generous offer for a map?
    Reworked trade resource, added resource buildings in regions, added land and sea trade routes and trade nodes and some larger and smaller fixes. I mentioned about everything in file description.
    And dunno, izzi seems to be most interested to use this map, but izzi for now is busy with Carlist Wars mod.
    Also mad creator of

Pretty amazing work from a pretty amazing modder. :o