Thread: Historia Realis: Rome - A character-driven grand strategy game inspired by Rome: Total War and Crusader Kings

Icon4 Historia Realis: Rome - A character-driven grand strategy game inspired by Rome: Total War and Crusader Kings

Hey, TWC! It’s been a long time since I posted here. I used to write AARs and I was pretty active in that area of the forums. My first (and favorite) TW game was Rome, which I played a lot from age 15 onwards. Perhaps inspired by that game, I ended up majoring in history and started making games in my spare time.

I’m now making a game called Historia Realis: Rome, which is a simulation/grand strategy game where you play as a Roman during the Republic. You can be elected for office, serve in the legions, pursue a career as a lawyer and so on. The game aims to be more historically accurate than anything out there, as I’m not bending history to make the game more "fun". Instead, I’m trying to make the game more fun by making it more historical.

Steam page

Historia Realis is a bit different from similar games, gameplay-wise. There isn’t so much focus on war and maps. In fact, in the current screenshots you won’t see any of that. You’ll see a bunch of things that characters can do, such as practice Stoicism, watch plays, hunt, make friends, etc. It’s a more general approach to history: less focus on just military history to leave space for also social, cultural, religious and political aspects of history. This change in focus required a whole new gameplay paradigm and core mechanic, which I talked about in this dev diary.

Right now I’m working on it mostly alone. I do the code, art, research, etc. But I’d like to work with more people, so if you’re interested in helping me bring this to life and you have relevant skills, you can fill this form and I’ll get in touch with you.

FAQ
    When will Historia Realis be released?
    No release date yet, sorry! You can wishlist Historia Realis on Steam and you’ll be notified when it comes out on Early Access, or you can sign up for the alpha at the website to get in even earlier, although there are no dates or estimates yet.

Thanks!
    "No friend ever served me, and no enemy ever wronged me, whom I have not repaid in full." - Sulla

Default Re: Historia Realis: Rome - A character-driven grand strategy game inspired by Rome: Total War and Crusader Kings

Good luck with the game, mate!

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: Historia Realis: Rome - A character-driven grand strategy game inspired by Rome: Total War and Crusader Kings

Keep us posted, and maybe shoot for an announcement when it's closer to release.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

Keeping up with this game is pretty interesting. The level of Character interaction and society simulation, perhaps due to be restricted to Rome, is much deeper than other historical games in adjacent genres. Could be very interesting to compare to stuff like Suzerain, although that game is more on rails, but they are similar vibes wise.

I wrote a dev diary about emergent stories, one of the pillars of Historia Realis.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/256...07929370057494

This one is more vague and less gameplay-focused. If you want one that explains the mechanics more, check out the previous one about the Action System.
    "No friend ever served me, and no enemy ever wronged me, whom I have not repaid in full." - Sulla

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Your game sounds impressive, good luck with the continuing development!