Thread: This mod has reinvigorated my love for Medieval 2

helmersen's Avatar Praepositus

Default This mod has reinvigorated my love for Medieval 2

I just wanted to say that I went into this mod a bit skeptical due to the scripts that may or may not have been fun, and because I was so used to the original Stainless Steel version. But I have to say, you guys have exceeded my expectations, and BECAUSE of the amazing scripts, events, new buildings, difficulty modifiers, units, factions, the new map, etc etc, it's like I'm discovering Medieval 2 all over again. It's a fantastic mod that just does so much right, and even though I really miss the presence of forts (I love putting them down), I understand the reason for their removal (although an option would have been nice). In summation, I just wanted to thank the modders and team members for your work - this truly is an inspiring mod and shows what Medieval 2 really should have been. Huzzah!
    Interested in how Attila and the new LONGBEARDS DLC plays?

Check out my Total War Attila: Jutes Let's Play: http://youtu.be/rFyxh4mj1pQ
    Check out my Total War Attila: The Langobards Let's Play: http://youtu.be/lMiHXVvVbCE
    Total War: Attila with ERE vs Sassanids GEM at max settings:
    http://youtu.be/jFYENvVpwIs
    Total War: Rome II Medieval Kingdoms Mod Gameplay: http://youtu.be/qrqGUYaLVzk

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Re: This mod has reinvigorated my love for Medieval 2

A message from the Medieval 2 engine:

Quote Originally Posted by helmersen View Post
    I just wanted to say that I went into this mod a bit skeptical due to the scripts that may or may not have been fun, and because I was so used to the original Stainless Steel version. But I have to say, you guys have exceeded my expectations, and BECAUSE of the amazing scripts, events, new buildings, difficulty modifiers, units, factions, the new map, etc etc, it's like I'm discovering Medieval 2 all over again. It's a fantastic mod that just does so much right, and even though I really miss the presence of forts (I love putting them down), I understand the reason for their removal (although an option would have been nice). In summation, I just wanted to thank the modders and team members for your work - this truly is an inspiring mod and shows what Medieval 2 really should have been. Huzzah!
    Thank you! that's the nicest post ever and the most inspiring to continue ..

No, no - thank YOU!

I do have a few questions though!

1. Reputation: When I attack a rebel settlement or find myself in a defensive war and take ONE enemy city, I find my reputation dropping to Untrustworthy instantly. Even if I just "occupy" the city. At the same time, the AI can literally attack me without even breaking trade rights first, and remain "reliable". Is this meant to happen, and if so, why? And why is the relations modifier so damning on the player in that case? I feel like this reputation modifier should only move to a modifier like untrustworthy or dubious if you attack an ally, not really if you offensively defend yourself against an enemy that attacked you first, or if you go for rebel cities. Even attacking a neutral party should perhaps lower it by one level, not go from "reliable" or whatever the best option is, to untrustworthy or dubious.

2. Often, I get the "share plunder with army" option or whatever it's called, but clicking "yes" to share does not limit my purse or anything. Does this mechanic work, or does it behave in a different way than drawing money from your treasury instantly?

3. The "send gold aid to Jerusalem" event - does this actually put 5000 gold in Jerusalem's pocket? And does it happen for other factions than the player faction?

4. For a King to share and hand out offices to generals, I find this to be a bit hard to understand. Does the King have to spend time in the same city as the general? How does the king obtain ancillaries to hand out in the first place?

5. Do you guys have a Discord channel?
    Last edited by helmersen; August 07, 2023 at 01:54 AM.

Check out my Total War Attila: The Langobards Let's Play: http://youtu.be/lMiHXVvVbCE

The medieval world was not fair.
    So should be the mod.
    I your faction is very powerfull you have a lot of power to make the world fair.

I love the mod, but I hate the crashes. Are the ever gonna be fixed?

1. Reputation: When I attack a rebel settlement or find myself in a defensive war and take ONE enemy city, I find my reputation dropping to Untrustworthy instantly. Even if I just "occupy" the city. At the same time, the AI can literally attack me without even breaking trade rights first, and remain "reliable". Is this meant to happen, and if so, why? And why is the relations modifier so damning on the player in that case? I feel like this reputation modifier should only move to a modifier like untrustworthy or dubious if you attack an ally, not really if you offensively defend yourself against an enemy that attacked you first, or if you go for rebel cities. Even attacking a neutral party should perhaps lower it by one level, not go from "reliable" or whatever the best option is, to untrustworthy or dubious.
    It is not coded in the mod, as much as I can say, it shouldn't happen except if you traded this settlement before, then it rebelled or changed the owner and then you conquered it. Its a bug, or an imperfection of the engine, the engine remembers it was traded, so it gives penalty in rep. Besides that I always conquer many rebel cities in the beginning and very rarely the rep goes below mixed, so there is no rep penalty if you just occupy the city.

There is no 'war declaration' option in diplomacy, so the only way you declare war is attacking somebody. If you attack a city when at peace or allied you get a rep penalty for every city you attack this turn. If you attack an army the penalty is lower. So if you want a war, just attack some army and wait another turn to fully start an invasion, so the rep penalty will be lower. If you prepared a surprise attack besieging 3 cities at once probably you will be despicable in one turn.

The lack of symmetry with AI its just because if AI was to be penalized the same as player, most factions would be despicable, as simple as that. Or very boring and passive if the wars to be limited. AI is constantly slaughtering the captives, exterminating cities etc. it just does what is most beneficial at the moment, probably there are some nuances considering ai personalities and maybe other things, but I never heard somebody was able successfully create a chivalrous or ethical ai in mtw2..

2. Often, I get the "share plunder with army" option or whatever it's called, but clicking "yes" to share does not limit my purse or anything. Does this mechanic work, or does it behave in a different way than drawing money from your treasury instantly?
    3. The "send gold aid to Jerusalem" event - does this actually put 5000 gold in Jerusalem's pocket? And does it happen for other factions than the player faction?
    4. For a King to share and hand out offices to generals, I find this to be a bit hard to understand. Does the King have to spend time in the same city as the general? How does the king obtain ancillaries to hand out in the first place?
    5. Do you guys have a Discord channel?
    2 - it's a new (June) coding of this mechanics (barely worked before) and I've made a mistake in coding... already found by @Beloves, and will be fixed for the next release. Sorry.
    3 - yes, is does, for everybody.
    if I_EventCounter faction_turn_hre = 1 and I_IsFactionAIControlled hre
    and I_NumberOfSettlements hre > 6
    and RandomPercent < 6
    log ------ hre send money to crusader state
    console_command add_money hre, -5000
    console_command add_money jerusalem, 5000
    if not I_IsFactionAIControlled jerusalem
    and not I_HotseatEnabled
    historic_event crusaders_supported
    end_if
    end_if
    4 - by swapping: FL and the general should be in one city and then you click-hold on the ancillary picture, swap on the general, release.
    5 - we do, but we don't use it, frankly speaking. TWC is enough for our needs.

Quote Originally Posted by William the Silent View Post
    I love the mod, but I hate the crashes. Are the ever gonna be fixed?
    We are constantly bug-huting crashes. Yesterday I've found that in the "fire" script lack of a tiny command "wait 2.0" caused crashes. But it was not obvious, I've discovered it just testing something else.
    Good news - it seems there're relatively few "deadly" crashes - that prevent you from playing on (although they do happen, as we can see in the reports).
    Bad news - as we add more stuff, there'e always new sources of crashes. That's inevitable.

Khevsur's Avatar Senator

Historically accurate Georgian and other units will be added in the future. Various units will be organized. The icons of the units will be made artistically. Historical visual cities and miniatures will be added - then it will be a very cool game. It would be nice if the units die slower and run away from the battlefield later - that way there will be more maneuverable wars
    Georgian Medieval Shields By Khevsur

https://www.mediafire.com/file/017uq....2023.rar/file

We are constantly bug-huting crashes. Yesterday I've found that in the "fire" script lack of a tiny command "wait 2.0" caused crashes. But it was not obvious, I've discovered it just testing something else.
    Good news - it seems there're relatively few "deadly" crashes - that prevent you from playing on (although they do happen, as we can see in the reports).
    Bad news - as we add more stuff, there'e always new sources of crashes. That's inevitable.
    I cannot play 10 turns without a CTD (maybe its my computer). They mostly happen on Independent Sovereignties turn. But after a few reloads I can continue most of the time.
    But it takes time and you lose battle results of the turn that crashes.

Because it is such an interesting mod I have not given up yet and I'm only on my second campaign.

I cannot play 10 turns without a CTD (maybe its my computer). They mostly happen on Independent Sovereignties turn. But after a few reloads I can continue most of the time.

Because it is such an interesting mod I have not given up yet and I'm only on my second campaign.
    It'd rather think it's your computer. The players here would have screeeemed complaints if it would have been so frequent. Me, I've made a few playthroughs, without any crash for like 50 turns. Later, the crashes are more likely to occur as the scripts may get convoluted, or the memory may get stuck with something (it's why we introduce in the code randomization - to enable passing on something unexpected). But 1 per 10 turns is unlikely without the backlash from the players here, and if the battles would be lost due crashes - yeah, , this would have made angry even the most easygoing players.

BTW, this is one of the reasons I don't play the RTW mods like the EBI - after each battle you waited untill the music finishes, and pressed the end button with the utmost anxiety . I lost so many battles in this way... The Med2 engine is much more stable, you cannot compare them.
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; August 07, 2023 at 01:51 PM.

It really sounds like your computer and maybe you somehow didn’t apply LAA correctly? I even played sometimes like 150 turns without ctd at all..

I got:
    11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHz 1.38 GHz
    8GB RAM

What's LAA?
    I let MTW2 determine what settings I need.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails x.jpg  
    Last edited by William the Silent; August 07, 2023 at 02:17 PM.

In the main folder with SSHIP you will find a program "Large Address Aware",as well as an instruction how to use it. I bet it will solve your problems..

I also wanted to come with a tip, if I may. It would be awesome if there were some kind of mechanic that would make Templar Knights out of generals, which would give them great command skills and perhaps even lower the upkeep costs of templar soldiers, but in turn diminish the loyalty of the general, creating a kind of in-faction battle between the power of the King and the Temple. It could perhaps be exclusive to Jerusalem, but it could work for any Catholic faction, I think. Sounds cool in my head, anyway

I also wanted to come with a tip, if I may. It would be awesome if there were some kind of mechanic that would make Templar Knights out of generals, which would give them great command skills and perhaps even lower the upkeep costs of templar soldiers, but in turn diminish the loyalty of the general, creating a kind of in-faction battle between the power of the King and the Temple. It could perhaps be exclusive to Jerusalem, but it could work for any Catholic faction, I think. Sounds cool in my head, anyway
    Sounds cool, but I doubt the Medieval2 engine would handle it. What is in the mod, are the offices of Grand Master etc. for the generals. I doubt they were moded since the base Stainless Steel 6.4, so there may be some idiosyncracies (as is in the case with the Byzantine office system).