Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Ahsoka TV series!

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Default Re: Ahsoka TV series!

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernXY View Post
    Forgot one of my reasons why getting stabbed and having the light blade stay in for 5 seconds should cause a person to blow-up is "The Phantom Menace". When Qui-Gon and Obi Won are trying to make it through a door. Qui-Gon leaves his lightsaber blade in a metal door and we can see it start to melt.
    My take is still its space wizard stuff. If they were radiating heat like that all the time just turning it on would lighting stuff on fire all around a jedi/sith. I did re watch that scene and Qui is it seems to me is focused and concentrating. So much so he fails to notice the approce of ne enemies and is altered by Kenobi.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Lord of the Drunk Penguin's Avatar Tribunus

Question: why didn't Shin just pulled her lightsaber to the side after stabbing Sabine?
    That would've definitely widen the wound and cause an insta-death.

The fact that she survived a lightsaber frustrates me immensely.

Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Drunk Penguin View Post
    Question: why didn't Shin just pulled her lightsaber to the side after stabbing Sabine?

Leave time for some questions? GIven the sequence the All shin knows is she has the ball know and here droid sorta hastily broke the Sabines stuff and it was on. Did she back up anything? If you thought you had time to ask questions might as well kill Sabine outright.
    Last edited by conon394; September 10, 2023 at 10:33 AM.

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Lord of the Drunk Penguin's Avatar Tribunus

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Leave time for some questions? GIven the sequence the All shin knows is she has the ball know and here droid sorta hastily broke the Sabines stuff and it was on. Did she back up anything? If you thought you had time to ask questions might as well kill Sabine outright.
    It doesn't take much, you know, to move a sword.
    Just a flick of the wrist.

I'm confused, who are you defending here?
    Shin's ineptitude, her inability to finish off an opponent or Sabine's resilience to lethal wounds / inability to take damage which would normally incapacitate a person?
    Last edited by Lord of the Drunk Penguin; September 10, 2023 at 12:26 PM.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Drunk Penguin View Post

I don't think Shin wanted to kill Sabine.
    She just wanted Sabine out of the way. She figured (correctly IMO) that killing the celebrity of the planet would increase scrutiny more than if she just stole something. Furthermore, leaving Sabine down wounded instead of cut in half would delay Ahsoka as she would have to save Sabine instead of avenge her. What I mean is that yes, it would take half a second more to cut Sabine in half. But it was more beneficial to leave her wounded so that Ahsoka would not go after Shin. At that time Shin was not aware that there was a tracking device in play. She didn't think there was any easy way to follow her. Thus, it was MUCH safer to leave Sabine for Ahsoka to save to get Ahsoka out of the way.

Remember, from what we have seen so far, Shin and especially Baylan do not go on killing rampages. They are antagonists but so far, they are not evil. The average space pirate or mugger is worse than them. Sure, sure, they chopped down a bunch of soldiers to rescue Morgan. But they tried to negotiate with the soldiers first. It's not like any other mercenary would not turn to guns at this point. And yes, Shin fought Sabine to get the map. Which again, every mercenary would have done.
    To drive the point home, Baylan expresses remorse he has to fight Ahsoka and spares Sabine. Shin is very pissed that they seemingly killed Marrok but stands down.
    Last edited by alhoon; September 10, 2023 at 11:13 PM.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Does it really take thousands of years in SW to figure out that you can kill any jedi with 3 concurrent blaster shots? Because 1 lightsaber can only cover a line, thus the third shot simply has to be outside that line to hit its target.
    A civ which has ftl/warp tech, obviously would be aware of basic math.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    Does it really take thousands of years in SW to figure out that you can kill any jedi with 3 concurrent blaster shots? Because 1 lightsaber can only cover a line, thus the third shot simply has to be outside that line to hit its target.
    A civ which has ftl/warp tech, obviously would be aware of basic math.
    No, because while the lightsaber can deflect two bolts, the Jedi can also move before you squeeze the trigger knowing where you will shoot through the pre-cog that allows them to use the lightsaber as a shield. So, the Jedi would probably be able to deflect two bolts and move out of the way of the third or even fourth.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    No, because while the lightsaber can deflect two bolts, the Jedi can also move before you squeeze the trigger knowing where you will shoot through the pre-cog that allows them to use the lightsaber as a shield. So, the Jedi would probably be able to deflect two bolts and move out of the way of the third or even fourth.
    You could have drones, like the Roger Roger ones, fire the three shots at the same time. Or at least within a time difference which is physically impossible to cover when you have to move your hands
    It's like having a goalkeeper who knows where the penalty shot will land, but you then have two penalty shots taken at the same time, to opposite sides of the court. The goalkeeper will know where they will go, but it is physically impossible to block both.
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"

You could have drones, like the Roger Roger ones, fire the three shots at the same time. Or at least within a time difference which is physically impossible to cover when you have to move your hands
    It's like having a goalkeeper who knows where the penalty shot will land, but you then have two penalty shots taken at the same time, to opposite sides of the court. The goalkeeper will know where they will go, but it is physically impossible to block both.
    I didn't say "block" though. I said the Jedi will physically move his body away from the trajectory as the droid is squeezing the trigger. In that 0.5 of a second a trained warrior can move 1m which is more than enough to get out of the way.

There was some math done in another forum thread on SW, and it would appear you'd need the jedi to move at 130 miles/hour (blaster speed), which is impossible. For reference, if they could move at an already impressive 1 meter/tenth of a second, that'd only be 22 miles/hour
    So 1 m/half a second is even worse and they'd be (more?) dead.

There was some math done in another forum thread on SW, and it would appear you'd need the jedi to move at 130 miles/hour (blaster speed), which is impossible. For reference, if they could move at an already impressive 1 meter/tenth of a second, that'd only be 22 miles/hour
    So 1 m/half a second is even worse and they'd be (more?) dead.
    Simply put, I strongly disagree with the 130 miles / hour speed needed to dodge a laser blast.
    Second, I didn't say 1 meter in 0.1 seconds. I said 1 meter in 0.5 seconds. I would repeat that the Jedi doesn't need to see where the blaster ends up pointing in the split second before it fires. The Jedi would know about half a second before where the blaster would end up and move accordingly.
    You even see that in a scene in Star Wars III, where a Jedi realizes he will not evade the blasts when Order 66 goes out. Now, you may ask "and why he didn't force-jump away in the 2-3 seconds since he realized by the Force what was happening with the Order 66?" the answer is 1. Plot hole and 2. He was stunned that the clones he fought and bled with and that have defended his life with theirs several times were turning on him.

You are right that simply moving at 130 miles/hour won't be enough to dodge it, since your body doesn't consist of one point ^^ You'd need a multiple of that. So even the hypothetical "jedi actually was aware long before that they would be fired upon, so can move" is too slow, but more importantly: do you honestly argue that a drone would just fire at a location you were 2 seconds before it fired, instead of the one where you are now? Is it blind?
    And precognition re dodging/blocking was already covered - the scenario is one where you are fired at concurrently (or virtually concurrently) with 3 bolts.
    Last edited by Kyriakos; September 14, 2023 at 06:24 AM.

You are right that simply moving at 130 miles/hour won't be enough to dodge it, since your body doesn't consist of one point ^^ You'd need a multiple of that. So even the hypothetical "jedi actually was aware long before that they would be fired upon, so can move" is too slow, but more importantly: do you honestly argue that a drone would just fire at a location you were 2 seconds before it fired, instead of the one where you are now? Is it blind?
    And precognition re dodging/blocking was already covered - the scenario is one where you are fired at concurrently (or virtually concurrently) with 3 bolts.
    A drone would lock and fire and it would need some time for a blaster (or gun) to actually fire from the time the trigger is squeezed. In that split second you spend pressing the trigger and the weapon firing the energy beam, a pre-cog Jedi could twist his body and/or move 1/2 m to the right or left which means the shot would miss.
    As for the accuracy of drones etc. so far, they are pretty bad. Missiles hitting within 1-2 meters from an immobile target are considered awesome. A shooter that misses by 1-2m is horrendous. Frankly, the droids you saw in Clone Wars were pretty good compared to what we have now. And considering they were designed by bankers this is a great engineering fit!

I fear we are going in circles. If you think that the jedi can move 1 meter/half a second, it means nothing if three blaster bolts are fired at the jedi, covering the distance for movement. A civ which somehow has FTL, cannot be said to not have basic math calculations, unless it's an inconsistency.
    Might as well have led with "drones miss the target by 2 meters"

I fear we are going in circles. If you think that the jedi can move 1 meter/half a second, it means nothing if three blaster bolts are fired at the jedi, covering the distance for movement.
    The three, five or 10 blasters would be fired where the Jedi was. Not where the Jedi ends up at. For any two shots that in his way, the Lightsaber would deflect them. As for the "not being where the bolts are shot at" it's exactly how non-Jedi in the series escape dozens of blasters being fired at them: They are not in the way. The blaster shots fall all around them. Go watch some of the space battles of any Star Wars movie to see some really horrendous aim.

A civ which somehow has FTL, cannot be said to not have basic math calculations, unless it's an inconsistency.
    That civilization doesn't have accessible cell phones but very expensive military gear that does crappy holograms. They generally do not use personal computers. They have very advanced medicine but very few genetic engineers (the Kaminoans are the best and it is strongly implied all the others are crappy).
    I mean, the Emperor had to spend decades as an absolute authoritarian leader to start on a contigency plan for cloning himself, a project that wasn't finished in 25 years of his rule and he needed sith sorcery and another 30 years for it to finish.

All in all: of course there are inconsistencies. A space-faring civilization of that size should have made such strides in technology as to make Space-wizards with laser-swords pretty irrelevant.
    And yet the rank-and-file droids of Star wars are less impressive than ChatGTP.
    Last edited by alhoon; September 15, 2023 at 10:50 AM.

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

Are you really arguing about realism and mathematical calculations in a show about space wizards?
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

All in all: of course there are inconsistencies. A space-faring civilization of that size should have made such strides in technology as to make Space-wizards with laser-swords pretty irrelevant.
    You never know really assume FTL and the means for cheap orbital lift and shields are all sorta cargo culted in or early surprise advances. It might really free society to basically exploit on the cheap if that sufficient for the elite to get the the life they want - no real pressure for constant tweaking and advancement.

And yet the rank-and-file droids of Star wars are less impressive than ChatGTP.
    Err come on too smart AI just least to Skynet
    Last edited by conon394; September 16, 2023 at 10:33 AM.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    OK Ezra has to be a fake of some kind if the witches can sense Asoka coming and see Sabine as Jedi trained no way he is chilling what less one day's ride/walk from them and they don't know that?

Watching Episode 5 (yes, 5. I will watch 6 right after it. I prefer to watch them 2 by 2 to have a movie's worth of Ahsoka).

Obviously... spoilers.

Jacen Syndulla: Better Jedi (untrained) than Sabine. Hilarious.

Anakin and Ashoka: Awww... Played for feels and nostalgia, obviously. A freaking good choice, if you ask me. About TIME. That's half the reason we watch this. Very rewarding.
    Loved the entire of it. But I do wonder... what kind of body paint they use on Dawson that she is immersed in water and it doesn't run out!? I guess her being underwater can be computer graphics, but when they pull her out of the water, I really expected to see orange paint running around.
    Anyway, it seems becoming a force ghost is much harder than I realized. I assumed they die and become force ghosts. Not that they go to the place between worlds and do training to become force ghosts.

I real loved the way they presented the trauma of Ahsoka from Anakin's turn to Vader with the image of Vader super-imposed to Anakin. Good job, Filoni.

Ashoka's shirts: Someone here asked how on earth she puts on her shirts with her Montrals and Headtails. And I can't unseen that question. I look for zippers in her shirts but I fail to find any. But I believe the answer is "zippers or buttons."

Ashoka force-reading Sabine's deal with the Dark (grey?) Jedi: I think it was extremely well acted by Dawson. When she relays the information to Hera you can read the sadness and worry in her expression mixed with disappointment.
    She's top notch actress, I am not going to lie. The role of Ahsoka should not be that hard, but it seems they're willing to squeeze out everything they can out of this actress giving her opportunities to act complex emotions.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Episode 6

First, I am really glad I waited to watch both of them together.

Spacewhale space-graveyard: What, exactly, would eat down the flesh of space whales in deep space? Perhaps they carried with themselves an air/gravity-free parasite that once they died, their antibodies didn't fight so it ate their flesh. Similar to how worms eat us from within once we die.

Baylan Scoll again jumps through hoops to keep people alive. In this case, he has to (again) talk down on Morgan and keep an eye on his much less Jedi-ish apprentice Shin Hati that for some reason strongly dislikes Sabine. I honestly don't know why she's angry with Sabine. She has bested Sabine once and lost from Sabine once. Both times it was civil-ish and when she lost, Shin wasn't injured. Sabine has much more reason to be angry with Shin Hati and yet there's animosity when Shin looks at Sabine.

Thrawn is Rebels Thrawn. Which is not surprising considering the same team that wrote his dialogue in Rebels is writing them now. I don't know "Heir of Empire" Thrawn BTW. Just Rebels Thrawn and this is him.

Sabine and Thrawn. I was not at all surprised that Thrawn would send Sabine away and help her to find Ezra. After, why not? Bring her back to the galaxy would be worse for him than leaving her here stranded. Not to mention she may INDEED find Ezra and tie up a loose thread for them.

Sabine against the Bandits. :/ Unimpressive. She has rusted up a lot in her time in waiting. Rebels Sabine would not have been caught unawares by rando-group-13. And if in a battle, she would do better than she did now, fighting in and out of cover, instead of fighting like an idiot in the open space where those glaive-dudes could rush at her while several other people would shoot at her.
    And their ancient gear should not have been challenging for her in her armor... oh wait, she wears HALF her armor for some reason.

Little Noti's (rock-turtle humanoid) shirts: OK, for those figuring out how Ashoka puts on her shirts, how did NOTI put on a shirt. Even with the buttons, it is impossible to get in a shirt when you have that kind of shell.

Ezra, Sabine and the plan that worked until it didn't: I would love to watch Ezra's reaction to how his plan to win against Thrawn totally worked, indeed, until Sabine undid it. I.e. worked ... for a time, but then some loose ends (Sabine) caused it to unravel.
    Last edited by alhoon; September 20, 2023 at 12:25 AM.

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

I can't help but have the feeling of watching a series that could be great being sabotaged. It has characters that half the internet and a large part of the world's population should be drooling over, great actors (and at least competent actors), an interesting plot, great music, excellent photography, ... and suddenly a tremendously stupid dialogue appears, a guy says his phrase three seconds late, a quest that is presumed legendary lasts like two hours, the supervillain looks like an administrator with a cheap mask...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast