Thread: Switching Skins in 3ds Max

Default Switching Skins in 3ds Max

Can anyone tell me how to change the designated skin (dds) file for a cas file in 3ds max? I'm not talking here about battle models, which I know are using a different system in M2TW (texture files and meshes). I'm talking about the strat map files that still use the old CAS/DDS files. What I want to do is replicate the settlement flag banners, the ones with the little triangular fringes on them, for new factions -- ideally by copying and renamingan existing CAS model and linking it to a new skin. So I'd end up with two functioning file pairs, the original one which still would work, plus the new replicated model linked to a new skin. Any help?
    Last edited by vindex246; February 02, 2007 at 03:30 AM.

Tsar Stefan Dusan IV's Avatar Loonatic on the loose!!

Default Re: Switching Skins in 3ds Max

It is in m2tw\data\models_strat\textures\#banner_symbol_"faction name".tga
    Example for danmark:
    m2tw\data\models_strat\textures\#banner_symbol_danmark.tga

No, I know where the texture files ARE. And I know how to replace an existing texture with a modded one under the same name. I'm asking how to edit the CAS file in 3ds Max (using the Vercingetorix importer) so it grabs a differently-named texture file than the one it's already linked to in vanilla.

I heaven't found any text files that designate a path of a texture file for strat banners.
    Have You tried simply to add in 3dmax that new texture with a different name, export as .cas and load the game?
    If that doesn't works than the code itself is in the name of a .tga file *#banner_symbol_"faction name".tga* like in the ui cards for units....
    Hope that helps. I don't know any other posibility.

Good luck, mate.
    Last edited by Tsar Stefan Dusan IV; February 08, 2007 at 07:13 AM.

I think we're talking past each other here. I know where to find the strat banners CAS models and their textures. I know how to indicate which CAS file I want for a faction in descr_sm_factions. I know how to mod a texture file that is already linked to a specific CAS model.

What I don't know, and would like to learn, is how, when you open up a CAS model in 3ds max, to change which texture file is being "wrapped" around the object. Ideally, I could:

1) Copy a paste a CAS file under a new faction name.

2) Create a new modded texture under a new file name for that faction.

3) Go into the duplicate CAS file and change the texture "link" to the new texture file (ideally without having to manually rewrap the object).

Wala, a duplicated CAS/texture set for a new unit -- NOT a modded texture for an existing CAS. Is it possible? How to do it? This is essentially a "how to" question about using 3ds max with the Vercingetorix script.

Once in 3dsmax, open your .cas file, type "m" (shortcut for material library).
    Under material library open "maps". Under the maps sections, you will see one texture "original" one, click on it and choose new texture from the file browser (the new one, that you made). Hope I understood You this time

Thank you, that is exactly what I'm asking. When you do this, assuming the texture is essentially similar (different color, for instance, but same arrangement), do you have to manually refit the skin or should it fit itself like the old one did?

If you only changed the colour and the arrangement of the texture file is the same as the original one you don't have to fit anything

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Also make sure that when you export it that the texture you assigned the model has the same name as the one referenced in the text files, or you get a ctd. It's an odd little bug that can cause no end of headaches.

So if you apply xxx to the model and then change the name of the texture to yyy (for whatever reason) you get a ctd.

I don't understand this last post. The only reference I've seen in the text files is to the CAS file. Then the CAS file chooses which DDS texture to grab. Or am I missing something here?

Of course if I applied "xxx" to the model and then changed the name of the texture file, the CAS file would go looking for a file name that no longer exists and wouldn't find it. I've had that happen, and yes, when a designated texture no longer exists it does cause a CTD. But I'm confused by the reference to text files.

You are right vindex, You just have to make sure that the name of the texture file corresponds with the one in the .cas file, and it (.dds) must have "#" mark on the beginning, the rest of file's name you can type wahtever you want.