Thread: Suggestions on the "Reformation Script"

Default Suggestions on the "Reformation Script"

I'm opening this thread for suggestions on how to handle the Reformation in this mod...

So far, the mod has no member capable of scripting complex events (I can't script simple events either ), yet the Reformation does (or should) provide a major focus point for this mod and its intended timeline (the two others should be the Italian Wars and Exploration of America, but the latter seems to be losing the battle for inclusion).

Keep in mind when suggesting that not every little detail can be implemented in the mtw2 engine PLUS that even those that can actually be added depend on the skill & ability of the person who will be called upon to implement them [an indirect call to expert event scripters to help this mod ]

So to kick off the debate let me give my take on the Reformation events

1) Year 1517 - informative event mentioning that Luther has nailed his theses on the door of his church. People reading them start having doubts about the church.
    Game effect: increase heresy in all of Germany a little bit (more to the north, less to the south) EVERY turn until 1521!!!

2) Year 1519 - informative event mentioning that Luther's writings have been spreading through France, England, Italy, Bohemia and Hungary.
    Game effect: increase heresy a little bit in all these lands (more in Bohemia because of its utraquist tradition, less in the others)

3) Year 1521 - the first turn we're informed that the pope threatens Luther with excommunication (Jan 1521). Then (second or third, depending on 2tpy or 4tpy) and event tells us that Luther's condemned as a heretic by the council of Worms and declared an outlaw
    Game effect: give heresy in north of Germany a good boost, increase unrest in certain areas (Frederick of Saxony sent Luther to Wartburg castle, where he continued his Reformation work), maybe even cause a couple of cities to revolt (Anabaptists takeover of Wittenberg in Dec 1521) - Martin Luther appears as a heretic with a bunch of "stars" in Marburg (he may already appear in 1517, but then he wasn't considered a "heretic" yet )

4) Year 1524/1525 - two more interesting events: Start the Peasant War in Germany (a direct result of the incontrollable course of events started by Luther's reformation) AND Ulrich Zwingli takeover of Zurich
    Game effect: a bunch of revolts, armies of peasants appearing (I don't mean only peasant units though ), Zurich revolts from the Swiss Confederation (or whoever has it at the time)

5) Year 1529 - the protestant synod in Marburg event (all protestant leaders meet to create unity of confession)
    Game effect: again increase heresy in certain areas of Germany

6) Year 1530 - the Augsburg diet and the Augsburg confession of the Lutheran branch of the reformation
    Game effect: somehow we must legitimize the reformist religion and stop calling it heresy (but rather another religion with religious buildings and priests) - THIS I DOUBT IT CAN BE DONE IN MTW2

7) Year 1531 - the Schmalkaldic League emerges
    Game effect: emergent faction appears and takes over a bunch of areas in Germany, it probably starts at war against the Emperor (but it must not suffer neither heresy or unrest in the areas it controls at the beginning), leaders excommunicated

8) Year 1534 - Act of Supremacy in England: Henry VIII (or whoever) breaks with the church of Rome
    Game effect: excommunicate england, but I don't think that england can change religion

There's certainly more (I think more events are needed to show the gradual breakdown in relations between England and the Pope) and with each reformation event the levels of heresy and unrest should increase in many western kingdoms, heretics should appear on the campaign map, and rebel armies should become more frequent.

So... fire away with your own suggestions

Default Re: Suggestions on the "Reformation Script"

Sounds good to me.

But I think it would save time, a lot of work and trouble, if points' 1-5 game effect was to increase reformist faith instead of heresy.

Even if it might seem a little bit a-historic.

Apparently you can now add new religions: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=80629
    So you can use protestantism instead of heresy.

Apparently you can now add new religions: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=80629
    So you can use protestantism instead of heresy.
    Ohhh, you beat me to announcing it!

I've new ideas concerning the reformation, based on the current updated 2.75 version.

Now that the hre has been replaced by the "Habsburg hereditary lands" and that it's obviously possible to implement new religions, it has become a bit easier.

1) As I've said before: The new religion spread by the events should be protestantism form the start, not heresy. That will make it easier. But if your intend was to increase the rate of priest turning heretic: I think something similar could be achieved by a skript. You could even write one where catholic priests turn protestant (good for the right feeling of the mod!).

2) The rise of the schmalkaldic league could be represented by the appearence of a small german protestant horde faction. Certain provinces could be given to them when they turn up (based on the faith of the provinces, or historic members of the league, ...).

The above points largly work using tried and tested mechanics and shouldn't be too hard to implement.

What do you think?

It sounds like a good idea!

concerning the religious split within the ranks of the HRE, since the days of Otto III and the Hohenstaufen's there has never been a united HRE, the emperor was just a pawn with no real power, all the Habsburg monarchy had was the power they drew from their hereditary lands, so perhaps the HRE should be split in 2, like the south being the Habsburg hereditary lands (austria, bohemia,...) while the northern provinces should be a vassal of the latter. so when protestantism emerges some of those northern provinces should splitt of to form the schmalkaldic league? if that can be done of course

Is it supposed to be the emergent faction "protestants" with its own religion?

Quote Originally Posted by otark View Post
    Is it supposed to be the emergent faction "protestants" with its own religion?
    If you mean that the emerging Schmalkaldic league has protestant faith: yes.
    But as far as I know, nothing has been decided on that matter yet. This are just some suggestions.

If you mean that the emerging Schmalkaldic league has protestant faith: yes.
    But as far as I know, nothing has been decided on that matter yet. This are just some suggestions.
    I believe we are holding that off until a later time.

Nevada's Avatar Domesticus

i have a suggestion (what a surprise!!!)

we could make a new faction with protestantism.

at first, luther spawns as some kind of protestant cardinal.
    every round, there spawns one more protestant priest, always in another region.
    after a few rounds, there spawn 2-3 protestant, revolutionary armies in northgermany.
    laterspawn protestant priests in the other provinces (hungary etc.)

the protestant faction has the same units as the normal german faction, but they have much religious fanatics

i don't think you can change priests to another religion, cause you can't say, so and so much priests shall convert, but the player has one priest less.
    or the priests which have to convert are there ince thevbeginning, but then the could be too old and would die a few rounds later