Thread: Help in modding Empire Total War

Default Help in modding Empire Total War

Hello, I was trying to edit the campaign_difficulty_handicap_effects within patch2.pack as its the latest pack that overrides the earlier ones. I did try to make my own mod to implement some edits but it wasn't working too well and it seems the few edits I really hoped would work simply would not take place at all.
    I've been able to do this with Total Wars from Rome 2 and beyond, but sadly hit a brick wall with Empire.

When adding in a 'handicap' for only the player I was hoping to change either all or mainly the land unit stats with the lines mod_unit_armour, mod_unit_marksmanship, mod_unit_melee_attack, mod_unit_melee_defence, and mod_unit_reload_rate. I edit them into the table for each of the difficulties -2 up to 2, however it does not work at all, at least not when going in-game, starting a new campaign, and checking the unit stats on the campaign map, none of the effects seem to want to work. Patch2.pack is the appropriate file to edit, as I also tried upkeep_cost_mod_land_all which worked perfectly fine under the same conditions. I've reached the limit of what I know, so wanted to see if someone with much better knowledge of Empire than myself could help out in figuring out why it is that it simply ignores the effects.

I've checked around for any other effects that may effect unit stats but beyond those 5 there is nothing else. I'm also not sure if it actually is effecting it, but simply doesn't reflect in the unit stats panel on, since the upkeep effect does I figure it should also be changing the values in the panel. I have no idea any help would be awesome

Default Re: Help in modding Empire Total War

Wanted to update that I did test out a battle in the campaign, and also tried 'morale_bonus', in the campaign map the morale_bonus does not have any effect in the unit panel but when going into a battle the morale does change, however still none of the other 5 has any effect at all. I'm not sure on why they're duds at all.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

You mentioned that you believe that patch2.pack is the latest pack. I believe that patch5.pack is the latest, but maybe patch2 is the latest pack with the specific database table that you're interested in?

Are you creating mod files, or editing the actual game files? It's recommended to create separate mod files for Empire.

If you're using separate mod files, how are you activating your mod - using a user script, by changing the mod file type so it's a movie, or with a mod manager?

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    You mentioned that you believe that patch2.pack is the latest pack. I believe that patch5.pack is the latest, but maybe patch2 is the latest pack with the specific database table that you're interested in?

Are you creating mod files, or editing the actual game files? It's recommended to create separate mod files for Empire.

If you're using separate mod files, how are you activating your mod - using a user script, by changing the mod file type so it's a movie, or with a mod manager?
    For right now I've been editing the CA files directly, I'm definitely going to make it into a mod later through a user script.

And yes patch2.pack is the latest patch that has campaign_difficulty_handicap_effects so I've been editing that. I do have a backup incase something happens.