Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick roman report

TiFlo's Avatar Semisalis

Default Quick roman report

Hi folks!

I've been following RS for over a month as it looked very promising. Indeed, after trying it for 3 hours, It does seem well polished and the gameplay is good!

Really nothing to report so far, except that. I Don't know whether this is intended or not, but I find this a bit odd :
    Playing as Rome
    H/M
    Provincial campaign (Icetorque/Webbird map)

I'm in 264BC, and I am litterally struggling not to grow to fast, trying to hold my expension and to keep from improving my economy, in order to prevent a Roman steamroll all the way to the 4 corners of the map before even reaching the Marian reform. I have loads of cash (I've been given thousands denarii to my neighbours), legions everywhere in Italy and even building ships does nothing. Look at the screenshot, you'll see what I mean...

(The UI is that of EB, but this is Roma Surrectum on screen).

What follows I believe should go into the "suggestions thread", but since I'm at it...
    - You should really increase the units' upkeep cost ;
    - Same thing with the ships (REALLY higher ; at least, this way it gets a lot harder to control the seas and gives you an easy way to "store" your money) ;
    - I think you can still double both the buildings' cost and construction time.

Hope this is helpful, and thanks for all your work, it is worth trying it

TiFlo

Default Re: Quick roman report

Thankyou, this feedback is appreciated; we will bear in mind your findings. Please keep us updated on your reults.
    What do we mean by patriotism in the context of our times? I venture to suggest that what we mean is a sense of national responsibility ... a patriotism which is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime.

It'll be interesting to see what happens once you're outside your AOR

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

Same here, way too much money + i exierienced that your population is growing like rabbits
    I canīt spend my money even by building the most expensive buildings.
    Side effect, losses on the battlefield donīt really care cause i can replace them pretty easily while developing all of my towns at the same time and still making money.

Suggestions:

Unit upkeep 2 times higher
    Building costs atleast 2 times higher
    Dunno what can be done about population growth

ANYWAY NICE MOD, good job guys it is more than iīve expected.

I will post a screenshot as soon as possible

Edit: You think this will change Tone??? Ok then i will expand as fast as possible to see if it make a difference

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by TiFlo View Post
    Hi folks!

I've been following RS for over a month as it looked very promising. Indeed, after trying it for 3 hours, It does seem well polished and the gameplay is good!

Really nothing to report so far, except that. I Don't know whether this is intended or not, but I find this a bit odd :
    Playing as Rome
    H/M
    Provincial campaign (Icetorque/Webbird map)

I'm in 264BC, and I am litterally struggling not to grow to fast, trying to hold my expension and to keep from improving my economy, in order to prevent a Roman steamroll all the way to the 4 corners of the map before even reaching the Marian reform. I have loads of cash (I've been given thousands denarii to my neighbours), legions everywhere in Italy and even building ships does nothing. Look at the screenshot, you'll see what I mean...

(The UI is that of EB, but this is Roma Surrectum on screen).

What follows I believe should go into the "suggestions thread", but since I'm at it...
    - You should really increase the units' upkeep cost ;
    - Same thing with the ships (REALLY higher ; at least, this way it gets a lot harder to control the seas and gives you an easy way to "store" your money) ;
    - I think you can still double both the buildings' cost and construction time.

Hope this is helpful, and thanks for all your work, it is worth trying it

TiFlo
    Before we panic, however, I would ask that you keep playing this campaign as a test for us. You are still solely in Italy....outside Italy, there are NO economic bonuses, and you can't recruit anything except in the designated Military Base AOR's. What I'm concerned about is that you have a lot of money...but you are only 17 years into the campaign, and you will now have to conquer that map with the troops you can only build in Italy and at your present position, Mediolanium and Patavium.

You will be stripping them of population and having to transfer colonists from big cities to them. and it will cost 66,200 denarii to build the Imperial Palace, Royal barracks, and Roman Military Base you will need...in EACH of those cities just to be able to get to the Imperial Legions. That' a 132,000 denarii, half of what you have saved.

I would like to be assured that you actually do have too much money before I go doubling eveything, just to find out that nothing can be built as your Empire grows too large. This AOR and Economic system are an 'experiment', so it would help us a lot if you could continue playing this and report how it goes.

Thanks.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Update on my roman Campaign:

Hereīs a picture of my actual income (Reform of Marius just happened

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Erdbeerchen View Post
    Update on my roman Campaign:

Hereīs a picture of my actual income (Reform of Marius just happened

OK.....now THAT is too much money. Building costs just skyrocketed in your area.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Hister's Avatar Domesticus

Hmmm, looks like i better wait for patches to come out to fix this problem...

You can always try out some custom battles while you're waiting

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

Hister's Avatar Domesticus

yep, you are wright! I'll do this as soon game downloads and that is in 1 hour from now - jupiii...

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    Building costs just skyrocketed in your area.
    :hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm:

What you mean dvk?

Quote Originally Posted by Hister View Post
    Hmmm, looks like i better wait for patches to come out to fix this problem...
    Actually the MOD is fun and very good, those problems i mentioned are minor ones and i bet they get fixed pretty easily.

TiFlo's Avatar Semisalis

The year is 240BC. Rome is still trying to hold Her expension, but have been sort of forced to take over Segestica and Ravena, because Her northern frontier was being harassed by strong armies from the Free People.

The once mighty kingdom of Pergamum is no more, having been taken care of by the Free People of Asia Minor.
    The Greek cities and Casse tribes have been both wiped out of the earth by the Macedonian phalanxes ; their king is now heading North and threatens the ferocious Germanic tribes of steamrolling them. Rome's diplomats have been helping those savages with high amounts of money for some time, but they apparently prefer to spend it in beer and so this has proved to be useless. The Senate is seriously considering to order legions overseas so as to strike deep into Macedonia's homeland and teach those half Greeks where they belong to!

Money is still flooding, only the Gods know when the fountain will run dry.

That holly year of 240BC, the Gods have given Rome its new legions, in the form of the VE Republican Legion, now available at the newly built Army barracks in the City of Rome. The senators seem to wonder why the hell did Rome get those new troops that early, but this is the will of the Gods -probably that of the AI and Dvk too-, and the way to it is impenetrable.

Generals are readying, legions are gathering all over Italy. For the first time of Her history Rome will send legions outside of Italy. Soon the Senate will unleash the power of the Blessed City on one of Her unfortunate foe. Soon Her soldiers will stamp Her mark on a foreign land. Soon the world will know that Rome is freakin' rich, and that because She does not know what to do with so much cash, She is about to set the world in flames in order to make it worth!
    Last edited by TiFlo; February 02, 2007 at 02:49 PM.

Patrician

Very funny....actually, I'm still laughing. LOL
    At least nobody's saying they DON'T have any money. So I got part of it right.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Well I have no problem of too much money as long as the AI has much money too and spend it to recruit it's best troops providing the best challange.I dont see a problem.

xhaxhi Skenderbeu

Very true but the problem is that there is TOO much money. DVK is going to be working all w/e to sort out an update that will hopefully fix this.
    Please bear with us!

Tankbuster's Avatar Analogy Nazi

Tiflo, ever thought about writing a thriller?

I'm playing Mundus Magnus 273 BC and I still have only like 100,000 denarii...
    The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath
    --- Mark 2:27

Atheism is simply a way of clearing the space for better conservations.
    --- Sam Harris

TiFlo's Avatar Semisalis

The year is 200BC. Rome has had Her new Republican legion for over 30 years, and so the all brand new VE Republican legion were just freshly raised that they were already back at home...

"The year is 200BC". "Republican legions for over 30 years". :hmmm:

Well, the will of the Gods, you know...

The Senate finished uniting the entire Italian peninsula around 220BC. Since then, Rome's western frontier has been constantly raided by Gallic armies coming through the snowy mounts of the Alps. One legion is maintained there at all times to prevent the plain of the Po to become a burned ground. This has been a lot of fights, but the Wises of Rome think it good to harden Her young generals before further command.

Far away in the North, the Germans seem to at least understand that only in paradise there is a barrel full of beer that never dries up, and so that their behavior would bring them nowhere close to it. Rome's policy finaly paid off, and those savages are starting to regain their land from the gay boys!

Hell, the gay boys : Macedon has been rolling over as far as the Caspian Sea. Rome doesn't have any kind of ambassy that far, so She does not know what to do about them. She's keeping an eye on it though.

Down to the South, lies an idyllic island, unhabited by a lovely and peaceful people : the Syracusan. "Whot?" : "peaceful people?" Most certainly another sort of gay boys. So the Senate crossed 3 legions fully manned with big, tanned, hairy and sweaty true men Romans over the channel. They laid siege to every cities, burned everything down, spared none in their way, hunting them to the last up to the top of the Etna! In less than 5 years, Rome had pacified the entire island. 10 days of celebration in Rome welcomed the new of its submition! Feast everywhere, wine coming out of every fountains, candied figs for everyone in the City! Money distributed to the Citizens to a level never seen before! Even then, the Senate did not know what to do with what's left, as they still have 5526555 denarii. In fact, The City's treasury itself can no longer contain all of it, and it has been heard through the streets that the Senate is planning to replace the metal in the arms and equipment of the legions by gold.

None the less, the Gods will surely appreciate that new land brought to Civilization.

In the mean time, the Free People keep on their steady conquering way. In the East, several kingdoms have been wiped out ; the Ptolemaioi still hold out, but for how long?

In the West, the Spaniards are no more, and Carthago owns almost the whole Iberian peninsula. They will be the next move of the the legions, while 2 will be kept close to the Homeland, one down the Alps, and one across the Adriatic to keep the gay b Macedonian away, until they get taken care of for real.
    Last edited by TiFlo; February 04, 2007 at 06:08 PM.

God the Macedonians are monsters on there mine keep getting flattened by the Greeks.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by TiFlo View Post
    The year is 200BC. Rome has had Her new Republican legion for over 30 years, and so the all brand new VE Republican legion were just freshly raised that they were already back at home...

"The year is 200BC". "Republican legions for over 30 years". :hmmm:

Well, the will of the Gods, you know...

The Senate finished uniting the entire Italian peninsula around 220BC. Since then, Rome's western frontier has been constantly raided by Gallic armies coming through the snowy mounts of the Alps. One legion is maintained there at all times to prevent the plain of the Po to become a burned ground. This has been a lot of fights, but the Wises of Rome think it good to harden Her young generals before further command.

Far away in the North, the Germans seem to at least understand that only in paradise there is a barrel full of beer that never dries up, and so that their behavior would bring them nowhere close to it. Rome's policy finaly paid off, and those savages are starting to regain their land from the gay boys!

Hell, the gay boys : Macedon has been rolling over as far as the Caspian Sea. Rome doesn't have any kind of ambassy that far, so She does not know what to do about them. She's keeping an eye on it though.

Down to the South, lies an idyllic island, unhabited by a lovely and peaceful people : the Syracusan. "Whot?" : "peaceful people?" Most certainly another sort of gay boys. So the Senate crossed 3 legions fully manned with big, tanned, hairy and sweaty true men Romans over the channel. They laid siege to every cities, burned everything down, spared none in their way, hunting them to the last up to the top of the Etna! In less than 5 years, Rome had pacified the entire island. 10 days of celebration in Rome welcomed the new of its submition! Feast everywhere, wine coming out of every fountains, candied figs for everyone in the City! Money distributed to the Citizens to a level never seen before! Even then, the Senate did not know what to do with what's left, as they still have 5526555 denarii. In fact, The City's treasury itself can no longer contain all of it, and it has been heard through the streets that the Senate is planning to replace the metal in the arms and equipment of the legions by gold.

None the less, the Gods will surely appreciate that new land brought to Civilization.

In the mean time, the Free People keep on their steady conquering way. In the East, several kingdoms have been wiped out ; the Ptolemaioi still hold out, but for how long?

In the West, the Spaniards are no more, and Carthago owns almost the whole Iberian peninsula. They will be the next move of the the legions, while 2 will be kept close to the Homeland, one down the Alps, and one across the Adriatic to keep the gay b Macedonian away, until they get taken care of for real.
    OMG. Your descriptions of the rampant money are so funny I'm almost tempted to leave them that way!! You should be a comedian. I'm still chuckling at this one: "....The City's treasury itself can no longer contain all of it, and it has been heard through the streets that the Senate is planning to replace the metal in the arms and equipment of the legions by gold." !!!

Viva la Roma!!

But alas, I must fix this endless money problem, so a patch will come out soon, and I suppose the Senate will not be so happy with me.

It's very interesting that in your campaign the Macedonians are prospering...they almost always get snuffed by the Greeks.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

♔Jean-Luc Picard♔'s Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    It's very interesting that in your campaign the Macedonians are prospering...they almost always get snuffed by the Greeks.
    hate to tell you other wise, but for me the greeks have been steamrolled by the macedonians in every campaign that i wasnt the greeks, both modded and unmodded. if you can tell me of a mod where they dont get killed before i get a crack at them please send me in that direction. srry bout this being off topic

Skandranon Rakshae

It is my great honour to have my poem Farmer in the Scriptorium here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast