Thread: Different Family Heir?

Default Different Family Heir?

I'm playing as France and about 20 turns in my king died and I've noticed the heir is now Thibaut de Blois, a son of the rebellious duke at the start

Is this because the new king's son isn't of age yet, and will it pass to his son when he is? Hurts my RP

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Re: Different Family Heir?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobocrunch View Post
    I'm playing as France and about 20 turns in my king died and I've noticed the heir is now Thibaut de Blois, a son of the rebellious duke at the start
    Is this because the new king's son isn't of age yet, and will it pass to his son when he is? Hurts my RP
    No, he will not.
    I think for the RP purposes, one need to take into account that stable strickly hereditary monarchy is typical more to the modern times (16-19th centuries) than to Middle Ages. Then after 2-3 kings the throne would very often go to somebody else - a challenger from the other parts of family or a bastard or somebody from outside.

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

This is not true for France. The line of Capetians, direct heirs of Hugues Capet, lasted from the 11th to the 14th century.

Quote Originally Posted by kostic View Post
    This is not true for France. The line of Capetians, direct heirs of Hugues Capet, lasted from the 11th to the 14th century.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    No, he will not.
    I think for the RP purposes, one need to take into account that stable strickly hereditary monarchy is typical more to the modern times (16-19th centuries) than to Middle Ages. Then after 2-3 kings the throne would very often go to somebody else - a challenger from the other parts of family or a bastard or somebody from outside.
    987-1179 capetian heirs were "rex designatus"(heir apparent) with the pairs agreement, so they were pretty much going to succeed their fathers. From Philippe Augustus, french kings ceased to apply this custom(simultaneous election of the father and son) and their first sons were automatically heirs without any need to ask anybody. It was neverthless used again to elect Philippe VI when the pairs had to decide which capetian branch should succeed when Charles IV died.