Thread: Strangeness with Settlement Income

Default Strangeness with Settlement Income

Not sure what is happening.
    Kart-Hadast had an income of 1301.
    I destroyed* the 2nd lvl colony building and income dropped several hundred.
    I process-cq rebuilt it, and income was over 2500.
    Which seemed very strange.
    So I reloaded the save and took the Governor out and did the same thing.
    Income went up to over 1900.
    Reloaded and just took the Governor in and out. Income again jumped up more than thousand from the 1301 base.
    I then went through every governed settlement I own and pulled the governor in and out. Some settlements stayed same, some went up a few hundred or even a thousand or more, and Gader went up several thousand. None went down.
    I have not noticed that with settlements before.

*I thought I might have a building 'hidden' below the 3rd line.

Bladvak's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Strangeness with Settlement Income

//Not sure what is happening.
    //Kart-Hadast had an income of 1301.

Ok, so income of 1301 with governor present

//I destroyed* the 2nd lvl colony building and income dropped several hundred.
    //*I thought I might have a building 'hidden' below the 3rd line.

If you are talking about the ""+10 law, -1 pop growth, bonus to trade" building, that means that you removed a bonus to trade in one of your best trading cities. Of course income dropped.

//I process-cq rebuilt it, and income was over 2500.
    //Which seemed very strange.

It is very strange, but there might be a reason for it.

//So I reloaded the save and took the Governor out and did the same thing.
    //Income went up to over 1900.

Was it 1900 with governor present or with the governor missing? The governors have all kinds of traits that are beneficial or not for the city in which they are based: pop growth (aka squalor), bonus to trade, bonus to taxation, bonus to law (which reduces corruption hence increases income), and maybe a few other minor things.

//Reloaded and just took the Governor in and out. Income again jumped up more than thousand from the 1301 base.

If you take the governor in and out a city, make sure to "refresh" the city by increasing and then decreasing the taxation levels. The numbers that you see are not final until you "refresh" the city. It's a known feature (or bug if you want) to not have the true numbers until the city situation is "refreshed". Sorry for being to fixated on the R word, but I want to drive home the point that might be the reason for all your troubles.

//I then went through every governed settlement I own and pulled the governor in and out. Some settlements stayed same, some went up a few hundred or even a thousand or more, and Gader went up several thousand. None went down.
    //I have not noticed that with settlements before.

If you are Carthage, you are probably swimming in money. If you have more than 50,000 mnai in the treasury, your governors are starting to fill up their coffers instead of the state treasury. By a lot. I'm not sure if you know but there are governor traits ("Extravagant" line of traits for example) that give a malus of "-30% bonus to trade", yes that is negative, once you have a big treasury, and yes you might have multiple such "bonuses" per governor depending on how long you were swimming in money.
    That, coupled with the refresh thing, might be the issue that you are experiencing.

I'm not sure how advanced you are at playing the game, but I hope you know that there are a lot of things going on in the background that you might not be aware of. Plus features (some bugs) which give complexity to the gameplay.

Hope it helps. If you still don't understand something, please post some screenshots so we don't speak in generalities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yomamashouse View Post
    I have one complaint - this mod is so engrossing that I have lost the ability to enjoy any other mods. I tried others and they never matched up to EB.

I think Foot needs to put a warning saying "You may wish to play other mods before playing this mod, as EB will destroy your ability to find other mods exciting and fulfilling".

Milo Forsyth, Transfiguration Professor at Hogwarts, Beyond Potter http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1772

I am aware of the the traits etc.
    When you askk "Was it 1900 with governor present or with the governor missing?" That would have been with the Governor missing.
    But to be very clear on what I am referring to I have a city with a governor and the income says 1000. I take the governor out and the income says 500. I immediately put the governor back in and the income say 1500. There is no other change.

I have been now regularly been taking governors out and putting them right back in cities with no other change and watching income jump in many cases, from what it was with the goovernor present before I pulled him out and put him in..
    (I don't think it is "troubles" for me. I just find it strange).

Now there is something that is very strange and 'troubling'. Gader was, all of a sudden, Winter 178, looking very unhappy (from yellow face content to red face on the verge of rebelling (70% public order)).
    I looked at the settlement details screen and noticed a 30 percent culture penalty. It is filled with Carthaginian buildings. There should be no culture penalty.
    Loading the save from several of the previous turns, there was no culture penalty. It just mysteriously appeared, and has not gone away since (4 turns later).

Fall 178 no culture penalty. Winter 178, 30% culture penalty.
    The only difference was that I completed the large stone walls.

(I'm no good with screenshots)

Bladvak's Avatar Senator

You might experience a bug due to forgetting to hit the "Europa Barbarorum script" anytime during the duration of your walkthrough. If you ever forgot to activate the script, the entire savegame becomes corrupted and will cause headaches at some point in the gameplay.

Or, if you are using the same instance of the game to play with multiple factions, that might account for it.
    What do I mean?
    For example, if you open the game, play as Romani and activate the script, then quit the faction but you don't exit the game, and now you open a new game as Carthaginians and activate the script. The script might not take that lightly because there might be enduring bits from the first, Romani script, in your Carthaginian script and game.

Third, have you tried "refreshing" the settlements? If you load a save, the game will remember the old values, but will not re-calculate the values until you hit end turn.

I don't think screenshots would help at this point anymore, a savegame would be needed. I have never heard of anything like what you are experiencing, so it is most likely a bug due to #1 or #2 above.

EDIT: The more I think about it, I think you have a corrupted savegame at this point in time. I would suggest trying to open a new campaign, make sure the script is active and see if you get the same issues. If you do get the same issues, then it might be an install thing. Otherwise, it's #1 or #2 above and your current savegame is corrupted. As far as I know, you cannot salvage a corrupted savegame, just try to have fun playing until you can't play anymore, i.e. the first CTD that doesn't get solved.
    Last edited by Bladvak; January 22, 2023 at 06:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yomamashouse View Post
    I have one complaint - this mod is so engrossing that I have lost the ability to enjoy any other mods. I tried others and they never matched up to EB.

I think Foot needs to put a warning saying "You may wish to play other mods before playing this mod, as EB will destroy your ability to find other mods exciting and fulfilling".

Milo Forsyth, Transfiguration Professor at Hogwarts, Beyond Potter http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1772

I activate the script each time, and I am only playing one faction.
    I've had few crashes. I think they are the result of playing to many hours in a row, and they resolve with a reload.
    If the Gader 30% Culture penalty does not resolve in a couple more turns, I will 'fix' it by adding happiness or law to the Pillars of Herakles.