Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Citizen Hoplites Mod wip: Update 26.12.2022

Default Re: Citizen Hoplites Mod wip: UPDATE 29.9.2022

UPDATE 6.10.2022 developing the Dumb Supply System. Added some minor scripted effects. (Info missing in the pictures: introduced upkeep malus for troops in enemy regions according to the army's size, linked to logistic issues)

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

valerius karamanus's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Citizen Hoplites Mod wip: UPDATE 6.10.2022

Nice work there. I've been silently following this mod to see where it goes, it gets more and more interesting every update.
    I found Wrath of Sparta campaign AI particularly dumb and uneventful, so hopefully mechanics added here to slow down player can spice it up.
    Just a heads-up, you can make traits unseen in database if you wish.

Thanks Valerius!
    Your words and your suggestions are greatly appreciated! Specificly, about the suggestion, are you referring to "hidden traits"? If yes, do you think it could be better to set traits as "hidden" instead of visible? I used to make them visible cause in this way the job is easier for me, in tracking working and non-working scripts, but your words seem intresting so if you have some idea, let's socialize it!

valerius karamanus's Avatar Civis

Yep hidden traits. I'm in two minds about it making them hidden, on one hand traits section feels like it should belong to character's personalities, on the other hand it is a convenient place to see information about supply carriages. Its not too important anyway, you should decide that as the modder

Valerius in reality your suggestion is very useful and i'm thinking about. So really thanks to promote this consideration!

Update 11.10.2022. Some minor advancement in Dumb Supply System. Added a soft Food Production's Surplus dynamic, differentiated according to the faction's size.
    The feature has been added because the vanilla game usually doesn't chain the armies to the food consumption effect, that instead is triggered by buildings. So it has been necessary to re-arrange the food production to make it to fit the Dumb Supply System's issues. Elseway looking forward it appears possible to implement, following this path, some agricultural fertilities scripts. The gameplay is stable, the AI is not broken and everything is going well in the right place in the first 3 tests (45 turns, 18 turns, 22 turns).

Default Re: Citizen Hoplites Mod wip: Update 11.10.2022

UPDATE 6.11.2022 Some time has passed and only now i have something to post. In the previous update i was about to complete (for collective testing reason) a standalone version of Dumb Supply System (not Citizen Hoplites wich has not yet terminated). I sincerely thinked that everything was working fine and that the gameplay too was giving balanced results. But i was wrong. Does the old version of the Dumb Supply System started to not work? Has been discovered bugs or malfunction in the code? Nothing of these things: in reality the first version of DSS (traits based) works good, with no ctds and without to slower the turns' progression. Where was the problem then? In the idea itself at base of the mod (DSS) and in some structural "limitation" (compared to TWAttila) of the game mechanics. The problem was the character. Of course, in gameplay, character simulates the men's behaviour, so a character has a birth, then he grows up. Usually there should be death in the end (with some metaphisical exceptions). And at this phase, the problem was starting to rise. Infact because the supplies in the old version, was redistributed to the armies by using traits, appointed to a character, when the same character was killed or wounded, or if he just dies by age then he was substituted by a new one; now if the chained army was marching in foreign lands or seas, then at the next turn the new character suffered starvation and it didn't matter if the previous dead character has a lot of supplies: everytime the supplies died with the character! It was a disaster! In that way i realized that it will be impossible to set a coherent supply system with permanent values.
    As i said at start, some time has passed and i continued spending my pc-time to the mod. After rebuilding (from the start) the supply system (using lua tables instead of traits), then after analyzing the perfect DEI and Peoples of Rome 2 mods and trying everything to make the things work (copying the cqi previous amount of supplies to the new one, by trying to adapt the mod to the ingenious technique as created by Litarion ), after 119 trials (just 7 of them were successful) i finally (2.11.2022) come to something that seems a stable result. It has been a gigantic logical struggle, trying to decode scripts and gaining proper lua grammar from that. At least for me.
    Since 2.11.2022 i have started testing the new DSS.
    The script is yet "character_interface" mainly based.
    For now these features are working (also in the cqi succession)
    1) supply accumulation in homeland and allied land( +18 food supplies per turn owned region +8 food supplies per turn in allied region - in allied regions there is an upkeep penalty of + 5% to simulate the money to pay to allied faction for the food supplies) (also in the cqi succession);
    2) supply consumption at sea (for land army) and in not owned regions (-2 for small army, -3 for medium army, -4 for large army) (also in the cqi succession) ;
    3) supply accumulation stops if character is in own regions and faction is affected by food shortage (also in the cqi succession);
    4) food consumption linked to characters (armies) in owned region, according to army's size (also in the cqi succession);
    5) differentiated supply system for navies: +36 in port, -2 not in port (also in the cqi succession);
    6) food surplus from private market for factions variable according to faction's size (cqi not involved);
    7) supply values in tables are loaded and saved and there will be no "erase effect" after loading a saved game or played a battle in battlemap;

* when (in the screenshot) is said that cqi is copied, of course is referred to the lua table ArmySupplies[cqi] and not to cqi itself.

Default Re: Citizen Hoplites Mod wip: Update 7.11.2022

For the ones who could be interested, i've uploaded the old version of Dumb Supply System "semiworking". It means that this mod is working fine (or i presume it) until a character dies. Then there will be a reset (returning to the max settings and restarting the cycle) when the character is in stranger land. I upload the file just for whom could be interested in reading (very basic) scripts.
    If you want to try, use a clean TWR2 installation. As always: backup!
    The DSS traits based is active in every vanilla campaign (not tested because abandoned to new system)
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/down...o=file&id=4662

Default Re: Citizen Hoplites Mod wip: Update 7.11.2022 (released the semiworking old version of Dumb Supply System for sharing intents)

UPDATE 22.12.2022: Hello everyone! After so much days spent in studying and in making trials to fix the Dumb Supply System, something has changed. Since trial n. 387 (24.11.2022) values have begun to result permanently stable, the lua tables based supply system (no more traits!) proved to work regularly, the hated "dead character = 0 supplies" problem seems now to have been solved and (luckily!) this circumstance has never stop to occurr in the next several further trials. Anyway my opinion is that more testing is needed, so i'm thinking to release an (incomplete but basically working) standalone version of Dumb Supply System beta ver 0,2 (affecting all TWR2 campaigns) for a public beta testing in the next days. After this release, if not too bugs will emerge, then i'll try to return to the development of Citizen Hoplites Mod. Here some screenshots of the confirmed working effects for DSS beta version 0,2 (sorry if some grammar errors occurred in the screens: they have been yet corrected in mod texts)

SCREENSHOTS NOW CORRECTLY RE-UPLOADED

Default Re: Citizen Hoplites Mod wip: Update 22.12.2022

Few in-game screenshots (Dumb Supply System - Hannibal at the Gates Campaign)

Default Re: Citizen Hoplites Mod wip: Update 26.12.2022

i think this "check intro message" should be the last feature added before the release of the Dumb Supply System beta ver. 0.2. After this post i'll continue this project on a dedicated thread on twc, preserving this one for Citizen Hoplites Mod. If you please, join my server on Discord following this link:
    https://discord.gg/rW7NYnKVYx (the main source will remain this thread on twc)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12