Thread: RTW & M2TW Soundtrack Submod for EBII v. 2.35a R3.5

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Default RTW & M2TW Soundtrack Submod for EBII v. 2.35a R3.5

Hey gang! Here's a new soundtrack music submod for Europa Barbarorum II (EBII) v. 2.35 R3.5, using tracks from Rome Total War (RTW), Medieval II Total War (M2TW), some original EBII tracks, and small amount of tracks from the music companies X-Ray Dog, Audiomachine and Two Steps from Hell. Only a handful of tracks are used from the latter category, while the vast majority of the soundtrack is comprised of RTW and M2TW material, especially on the battle map. About half of the campaign map tracks come from music already found in EBII.

DOWNLOAD, INSTALLATION:
    Click here to visit the ModDB website and simply follow the instructions I have provided there. Enjoy!

DISCLAIMER:
    This submod contains music for those who already technically own Rome Total War and Medieval II Total War: Kingdoms. It is assumed that you own these games or these soundtracks prior to downloading this submod! If you don't, you can support the author and original composer Jeff Van Dyck by following this link here.

Default Re: RTW & M2TW Soundtrack Submod for EBII v. 2.35a R3.5

Nobody likes RTW and M2TW music anymore? My previous soundtrack submod threads got a lot of replies and rep points, so I'm a little surprised by that.
    In either case it looks like this submod has gotten 23 downloads at ModDB, so surely some of you downloaded it? If so, feedback? Everything working okay?

I think nobody wants to openly admit that they chose it over the EB soundtrack

But the main thing is that most people who play EB have listened to both the RTW and M2 soundtrack for so much that they welcome a different one.
    I among them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamlaz View Post
    I think nobody wants to openly admit that they chose it over the EB soundtrack

But the main thing is that most people who play EB have listened to both the RTW and M2 soundtrack for so much that they welcome a different one.
    I among them.
    Ah, I see. Thanks for being so candid. I have made totally different soundtracks in the past, just not for this version 2.35a R.5. Also, my soundtrack isn't purely RTW and M2TW music, since it does blend some original EBII tracks for the campaign map and some music company stuff as mentioned above for the battle map. It's a hybrid if anything, and respects EBII to an extent by retaining some tracks. I removed the most egregious ones, though, like those annoying horns on the battlefield for Celtic/Germanic territories.

It's a bit different from what I'm used to but it's still good, some of the new musics are really nice to hear and it's a good change. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    It's a bit different from what I'm used to but it's still good, some of the new musics are really nice to hear and it's a good change. Thanks!
    You're welcome! I'm glad that you're enjoying it. Thanks for letting me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    You're welcome! I'm glad that you're enjoying it. Thanks for letting me know.
    Hello there,crafty people. I wanted to add some music to EB2,and thought it was as simple as Eb1...Not quite,not in my case.
    Saw in a few threads(there are not that many),that you had some problems,years ago,regarding the same issue. In the end,it seems that you managed to better the situation!
    Now,it gave me so many headaches,that it seems quite comical by now.Seemingly,it's simple,no?! Let's see:
    -went the normal way,added my songs in "D:\Medieval 2 Total War Gold\mods\ebii\data\sounds"
    -Made the changes,added the name of the songs in "descr_sounds_music.txt",located in "D:\Medieval 2 Total War Gold\mods\ebii\data".
    -these specific song titles i've put them inside the file, at Pergamon,which is below the command "music_type f_pergamon;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;"-only the battle songs i wanted to change,and only for Pergamon,for now.
    -i just added two more songs at the top,frontend category(menu music)
    -also,i deleted the 4 files:events and music(both dat and idx),so the game can reconstruct them...

Aaand,the fun began! When i entered the game,the menu music songs worked(now i had 3 in total),but in the battle it was still silence. Confused after trying it in Eb1 with direct succes,i was a little taken aback. Now i understand,that the game takes the files from "mods\ebii\data\sounds", as per indications in file "descr_sounds_music.txt",and creates those idx and dat files. Am i right in this,no?Example
    ;;; BAttlE MAP

state MUSIC_BATTLE_TENSION
    event
    folder data/sounds/music
    EB_Tension.mp3
    Immortality.mp3
    Tension3.mp3
    Tension5.mp3
    end

state MUSIC_BATTLE_MOBILIZE
    event
    folder data/sounds/music
    EB_Western_Greek_Mobilization.mp3
    Immortality.mp3
    EB_Roman_Mobilize.mp3
    EB_Tension.mp3
    Mobilize_Barbarian_1.mp3
    Mobilize_Generic_1.mp3
    Mobilize_Generic_4.mp3

end

state MUSIC_BATTLE_BATTLE
    event
    folder data/sounds/music
    Gaugamela.mp3
    Titans.mp3
    Rtrbattle.mp3
    Battle_5.mp3
    Battle_6.mp3
    end

Next,i think i've read your old post about it where you advised to delete the old files,and add only your own,and do these modifications in descr_sounds_music.txt also...Say for example i've deleted eb_western_greek_mobilize and added my song,let's call it Immortality.
    It didn't work at all-how can the game stiil play that song eb_western_greek_mobilize,where i've deleted it ,then erased it's entry in descr_sounds_music.txt...and on top of that,deleted the 4 files of apocalypse(music and events-dat and idx).
    Where does it get the song from?
    ;;; BAttlE MAP

state MUSIC_BATTLE_TENSION
    event
    folder data/sounds/music
    Immortality.mp3
    Tension3.mp3
    Tension5.mp3
    end

state MUSIC_BATTLE_MOBILIZE
    event
    folder data/sounds/music
    Immortality.mp3
    Mobilize_Barbarian_1.mp3
    Mobilize_Generic_1.mp3
    Mobilize_Generic_4.mp3

end

state MUSIC_BATTLE_BATTLE
    event
    folder data/sounds/music
    Gaugamela.mp3
    Titans.mp3
    Rtrbattle.mp3
    Battle_5.mp3
    Battle_6.mp3
    end

Now,the third option,we'll call it chameleon's folly.
    I've left the original descr_sounds_music.txt intact;only added my 2 main menu songs(frontend),but those always work. It's those blasted Battle songs that seem to not work!
    After that,i thought that i can sneak my songs like the greeks did with that wooden horse.
    Just deleted the files i wanted gone in data\sounds\music,added my own,then renamed it as of old.
    Let's say eb_western_greek_battle i deleted,put my Gaugamela song in there,and renamed it eb_western_greek_battle.So when you played that file,it wouldn't play the original song,but my own-just the name was changed. My song took that place at the table. You get the gist...
    Deleted again the 4 files of doom(music events idx and dat),entered the game,and it still didn't work. It would still play the old song,which wasn't in the folder to begin with,and on top of that,i replaced it's place with my own song.

Now,sorry for the long post,i've done it not in a sadistic manner to waste your time,or masochistic towards me,writing this much.
    I just wanted to be sure that i explained exactly what i did.
    I don't know where the problem is... Sometimes from my 10-15 songs added,1 or two works. The files i've added have simple names(immortality,gaugamela,Rtrbattle etc)are not that many-i just don't know where the gremlins lie?
    The thing is though i understand that the game takes the music from those 4 dead horses (music and events dat and idx)-i downloaded your newest music mod for eb 2.35(Rome 1 and m2tw songs,combined with others,i think). In that archive were 4 champion stallions,the dat and idx files(wonderful stable you got there,i just want my own poneys,haha). It worked without a hitch. I thought that maybe the game can't recreate idx and dat in my case,but after i would do one of the 3 processes from above,i would unsaddle(unpack) the idx and dat files,and guess what,there were there my files. The game manages to put my songs in idx and dat,but it doesn't work in game.

Now driven by superstition,cause logic failed me,i started looking maybe at others variables...
    -Do i need to run the instalation of Eb2 in administrator mode? Btw,it's 2.35.
    -Do i need to cull(delete) only those 4 files,or maybe only 2(music dat,music idx)? Or maybe all of them music,events,sfx,voice (dat and idx)?
    -are my mp3 files jinxed? Maybe they have a different kbps or khz? They play fine in winamp,and worked great in Eb1...
    -is there any way i could pack those idx and dat myself? Is that earthly,humanly possible?
    -shall i try 3 times,after midnight today,cause it's a full moon? maybe that'll do it.
    -shall i stop trying,cause i risk in throwing my laptop out the window,infuriated?
    -shall i visit a fortune teller?
    -or fly away and give one of the creators of Eb2 a case of beer,so he can explain how?

All these,and more,are questions that i ask myself. I managed to mod Shogun 2,by giving the projectiles less potency,and other quirky mini mods. those archers were machines guns that could fire over fences,hills and trees,haha.
    managed to understand,the building tree,in Eb2,without playing,and added a few units to Pergamon...
    Please help me out,i'm driving myself nuts.For some people it's so simple,and it should be I remember you had some problems also,some years ago. You reinstalled the Eb2 and m2tw a few times(i've done it the same).

Thanks you very much!